Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Getting ready to paint front Subframe and susp. parts - suggestions? - 1st gen Camaro

Have all my front end parts layed out and ready for sand blast and powder coating... just wanted to see if anybody had any tips or suggestions of anything that I should do or watch out for mostly in regards to getting all the parts back and having to recut/grind somewhere because they don't fit back together right. Just want to do it right the first time.

Just be ready to paint it the day the blasting is done. Rust will start to form over night on the bare metal if you don't.

Yup, plan on that. The powder coater will probably be the one blasting it anyway.

Did you take any front sheetmetal off? One thing that killed me was scratching up my powdercoated frame and suspension pieces with the inner fenderwell. Next time I will protect them before trying to fit any other parts... Tape some rags around them or something.

all the front sheet metal is off... all down to bare parts. I'll keep that in mind though!

Watch out for rust through spots

Just did the same thing to mine. Front subframe off and UCA's and LCA's off. After the sandblasting there were 2 spots that ended up as holes in the frame rails. I had to weld in some small patches before I could prime and paint. Just something to look out for, it surprised me, I wasn't prepared for the delay but dealt with it and went on.

Good Luck!

use good etching primer

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com