Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: dse shocks

Country Flag: United States

dse shocks

Anybody get there new cat. And notice they use jri shocks now.they used afco shocks before but with there sticker on it, anybody have jri shocks and know if there any better?phil

There was more to the DSE afcos than just a sticker.....

JRI and AFCO have both been in business for quite a while and both make a high quality shock but I don't think DSE would have made the move to JRI and increased the prices slightly and not gained anything. I have yet to run a set but have been told the JRI shocks do not disappoint.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I haven't run JRI's on anything streetable yet but they are rapidly replacing Penske's as the go-to damper for the oval track crowd. For what it's worth...

ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

I do like the JRi shocks, but I wouldn't knock the AFCO Pro Touring shocks, for a street shock it is very capable and seem to be ideally made for a street car that sees some track time(90% of the builds on here). If you were building a no compromises car JRi would be the way to go. Shocks are the second most important thing on a performance car, right behind tires, and is definitely a place to spend some money.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
      I do like the JRi shocks, but I wouldn't knock the AFCO Pro Touring shocks, for a street shock it is very capable and seem to be ideally made for a street car that sees some track time(90% of the builds on here). If you were building a no compromises car JRi would be the way to go. Shocks are the second most important thing on a performance car, right behind tires, and is definitely a place to spend some money.
      Thanks for the info james. i bought the 3875cr1 rears for my chevelle,have not used them yet.i know i can revalve them too as dse did(afco has great customer service,customer rebuildable.)going to do the front just waiting for a co. To come out with a extended coil over bracket,i think bmr dropped thew! idea really would like one no

Country Flag: Canada
      What kind of adjustment range does JRi have? I was always looking to afco shocks versus penske and even ohlins as they often tout being able to effectively control a wide range of spring rates without needing a rebuild. Didn't even realise they'd started a pro touring line 'til this post.

i really would like to upgrade to JRI shocks but arent they ultra expensive? i know they are some badass shocks...
      1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS-Detroit Speed Equipped
      1966 Chevrolet C-10-Driver/Project truck

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices

dse shocks

I just want AFCO would make a set of double adjustable struts for the 82-92 Camaro. I'm already running a double adj. in the rear on the C4 IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
      Slight thread hijack here: James - I'm diggin' the "National Tour Champ" line in your signature. Congrats!
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by musclecarmatt View Post
      i really would like to upgrade to JRI shocks but arent they ultra expensive? i know they are some badass shocks...
      Its about $900 for an external reservoir triple adjustable, depending on the exact application. As a comparison the AFCO is about $650, and the ridetech's are $575.

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
      Slight thread hijack here: James - I'm diggin' the "National Tour Champ" line in your signature. Congrats!
      Thanks! I need to call you guys about a LS swapped 92 Firebird a good friend is building, I think were gonna go with a one of everything order from you guys.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

JRI makes a very, very good shock. Is it better than an Afco for 95% of the people that buy these types of products? Not in my opinion. You can't go wrong with any of them.
      Shane Hill
      90 Mustang LX with 4.6 4v and 105mm turbo 7.72 at 194mph on drag radials
      65 Mustang- MTF C6 ifs, Torque Arm, Watts Link, Ridetech shocks, Boss 302 Coyote + T56

Does JRi offer some proprietary valving? Or do they have more heat resistance? Do they do cheap revalves once you've got a set? Sure would be nice to have a serious shock dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by ace_xp2 View Post
      What kind of adjustment range does JRi have? I was always looking to afco shocks versus penske and even ohlins as they often tout being able to effectively control a wide range of spring rates without needing a rebuild. Didn't even realise they'd started a pro touring line 'til this post.
      I have the JRi singles on the rear of my car. They have 70 clicks of adjustment. I haven't driven the car yet. I hope to have it on the road in the next month, so I can't say how they perform.

Jason Mitchell
      1969 Camaro @ Dutchboys

AFCO's are the perfect shock for 99% of the folks on this board including me.
      Todd

Quote Originally Posted by JMitch19 View Post
      I have the JRi singles on the rear of my car. They have 70 clicks of adjustment. I haven't driven the car yet. I hope to have it on the road in the next month, so I can't say how they perform.
      With 70 clicks, there could be plenty of steps in a short total range or a big total range. Did they provide you dyno plots with the shocks?

Quote Originally Posted by ace_xp2 View Post
      With 70 clicks, there could be plenty of steps in a short total range or a big total range. Did they provide you dyno plots with the shocks?
      Yes, they provided a sheet for each shock. I'm not sure My buttmeter will be able to dial these in with all that adjustment.

Jason Mitchell
      1969 Camaro @ Dutchboys

You'll never get it there with the buttmeter, what you want to do is use something like this:
      http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets16.html
      To give you an example of the curves you're looking for, and then try to match that curve by setting the dials on the shock to the supplied dyno curves which most closely approximates that.
      That guy has a lot of other great stuff on his website about shocks and springing. One of the more interesting things is the kind of variability he found from shock to shock of the same make, and also how nonlinear/unexpected the result of turning the adjustment knobs can be.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com