Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hybrid View

Every car is different....

I posted this on another forum as well hoping for some input. I've been reading a lot on the forum and else where about sizes and options but still need some help. Some common themes out there like the title of this post and "do a search...there's lot of information on this site". I would like to know how what is recommended by anyone here for my setup, but ultimately would like to know how to measure for the right combo for my application and end up with good performance and looks.

Here is what I have:
      68 Coupe
      SPC UCA's (SC&C)
      Hotchkis 2" lowering springs and
      LCA's
      Baer Trak4 13" front brakes

Here is what I want:
      Front- 18x8
      245/40/18
      Rear - 18x9 255-275/40/18
      Foose Legends 4.5-5.5 back spacing (not sure about offest)
      Also plan to use 1.5" lowering springs in the back
      No plans to
      mini-tub

The sizes above are the numbers I have come across most often and seem to be recommended sizes. I pulled the entire front end off to start the project, so there aren't any wells or fenders to measure from (first timer & learning as I go...hopefully it won't end up costing me too much before its done). Should I just put these back on to measure? And I know I will have to ensure the brakes will fit whatever wheels I go with.

I read somewhere that the overall wheel height should be close to that of a stock wheel in order to get good performance. What is your take on this statement? Could I loose performance if I go too tall or short? Why?

What are the biggest issues with tire sizes? How big of a difference are 275's vice 255's?

Country Flag: United States
      Based on the info you gave, here's what I would go with:

Front: 18x8, 4.75" backspacing, 245/40/18 tire
      Rear: 18x9, 5" backspacing, 275/40/18 tire

Considering that you're not doing anything too radical, like lowering over 3" or going for maximum width, those specs should work just fine.

Good luck!

I have 245/40/18's on 18x8 Foose Legends w/5.0" BS on the front of my '67 and they would rub if I didn't have adjustable steering stops on my SpeedTech LCA's. 235 would probably be safer up front. I also have the 275/40/18's on 18x9 w/5.25" BS and they are very close but don't rub in the rear. In theory 275's are 20mm wider than 255's which translates to .79 inches wider.

FWIW I have the Hotchkis 2" lowering springs in the front and 1.5" springs in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by 67rally View Post
      I have 245/40/18's on 18x8 Foose Legends w/5.0" BS on the front of my '67 and they would rub if I didn't have adjustable steering stops on my SpeedTech LCA's. 235 would probably be safer up front. I also have the 275/40/18's on 18x9 w/5.25" BS and they are very close but don't rub in the rear. In theory 275's are 20mm wider than 255's which translates to .79 inches wider.

FWIW I have the Hotchkis 2" lowering springs in the front and 1.5" springs in the rear.
      Thanks for the input. Sounds like you have exactly what I was planning to go with. Do you think 4.75 bs on the fronts (as recommended above) would have solved the rubbing issue you have?

Quote Originally Posted by chipster68 View Post
      Thanks for the input. Sounds like you have exactly what I was planning to go with. Do you think 4.75 bs on the fronts (as recommended above) would have solved the rubbing issue you have?
      Quite possibly, just as long as it doesn't push the wheel to far outward. I haven't really checked to see how much extra room is on the outside of the wheel. The only time I had rubbing was backing out, or turning into a driveway with a bit of a lip.

I've got many similar questions. I'm jumping back into my project that I haven't touched since mid 2010 and I'm stumped now just as I was then as to what size rims and tires to go with. I've got a 68 firebird, front lowered 2inches by hotchkis equipment, back will eventually be lowered 1.5 inches like you guys. I have a set of late 80's early 90's camaro rs rims on it now, was gonna try and use them until I can afford a nice set of rims, but I don't even think these will work. I already bought 2 tires which were supposed to be for the front, but that didn't work out, and I'd hate to drop more cash on 2 more tires only to have those tires not fit in the front.

chipster, have you tried any rim and tire combos out yet or are you still undecided with what to get?
      Rene P.

My 1968 firebird build thread--->https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...rd-on-a-budget

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com