Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1967 Camaro RS/SS "Old red car" former CHP feature update

It is hard to believe, but my 1967 rs/ss has been together for over 14 years. I built the car toautox, open track, drag race, drive to work, take the kids for ice cream and baseball practice, etc. Over the last 14 years, I probably have put 40K miles on the car, and the current parts on it have served me very well. However, after Goodguys Columbus last year when I noticed the car pushing a bit, it occurred to me that the front shocks were the same Koni reds as when I built the car 14 years ago. It turns out that one was leaking, which surely was contributing to the car pushing a bit. The more I thought about it, the flexible brake lines are the same ones that came with the Baer kit 14 years ago, same wheel studs, etc. Probably a good time to freshen and update the car for better handling and also safety!

While the rear suspension has been changed several times, it is now at a point where the rear suspension seems to work really well. I used a ridetech triangulated 4 link with Afco double adjustable coil overs. After running it for a few years with bushings, I elected to change over to Teflon lined rod ends, which are a little noisier but do let the suspension articulate freely. The ridetech 4 link works very well! I installed the rear Ridetech kitabout 7-8 years ago, and got one of their first kits (I maybe was the first one to use coil overs with the kit-I think I received kit #4 or 5), and it has worked great for many years and LOTS of abuse.

On the front end, I went back and forth between using a complete DSE subframe, or sticking with stock. I am going to keep the stock subframe for now, as it is welded into the car and I did not want to spend 3 months pulling the engine and trans,etc. If I do change the subframe, I will go with the DSE assembly as I do think their subframe offers some advantages to the stock subframe, and all of their other products I have used or become familiar with are like jewelry-very nice, well-engineered products.

Back in 2001, the car was featured in Chevy High Performance (Thanks Jeff Smith!), and had pretty trick stuff for “back in the day”:
      Global west del rin bushings in stock a arms
      Koni Red Shocks
      550 #/in coil springs
      Gulstrand mod
      Stielow spindles with a c4 hub/bearing pack assembly
      Baer PBR caliper kit and 13” rotors

I contacted Baer and sent the calipers to them for new seals, flex lines, and re-powder coating. The Baer brakes work great, and there really is no need to upgrade them (maybe I will change the rotors later this year to aluminum hat versions to save a couple of pounds). I will also replace the wheel studs with ARP long studs just to be safe.

I ordered Ridetech sway bars, triple adjustable shocks, andPro Forged control arms through my employer, Summit Racing. As the parts start to arrive, I will postpart # links and pictures. I am excited to get started thrashing as we have had nice weather this week!

Time goes quickly, so make sure to take the time to look over your car every year. I was surprised to find the shock leaking, a sway bar end link chewed up a bit, etc. 14 years has gone by pretty quickly!

Pics below are from Columbus 2011 Goodguys.

Name:  CAMARO 012-low res.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  61.8 KB Name:  CAMARO 026-low res.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  58.8 KB
      Last pics are the starting point for the front suspension:

Name:  IMG_0157.JPG
Views: 997
Size:  116.3 KBName:  IMG_0156.JPG
Views: 864
Size:  116.8 KBName:  IMG_0155.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  103.5 KB
      Thanks
      Al Noe
      Last edited by alnoe; 03-16-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Cant wait to see the upgrades! I have had my 67 camaro for 16 years and just now have it going together.... That is if I can leave things along and stop upgrading looking forward to pics!

I understand not leaving things alone. Every year, I have done something to my car. I had a Richmond 5 speed in it when I built it, 7 years ago I put a TKO600RR box in it. Went from a mild 383 to larger cam, larger heads, a little less torque (mainly due to the intake change-went from a superram to a single plane EFI ACCEL piece). And then the rear suspension started with dropped leafs, had wheel hop, put in slapper bars but car was terrible in autocross, then went to double adjustable shocks, next was Global west cat 5 leaf spring kit (which worked great, but I could not get rid of the wheel hop). Next came the ride tech 4 link, then I mini tubbed it, last was teflon lined rod ends. Whew! Just looking back through the mods every year makes my head spin! Time goes fast!

I just got the ride tech sway bar from work. AWESOME!!! Nice packaging, powder coating, hardware. Basically what I expect from them-really nice stuff!!! First class, top shelf stuff. Note the end links-really nice swivel joints that beat the heck out of the pogo stick stuff!

A link to the sway bar is: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ART-11169100/

Name:  IMG_0191.JPG
Views: 744
Size:  93.4 KBName:  IMG_0193.JPG
Views: 750
Size:  54.9 KBName:  IMG_0195.JPG
Views: 727
Size:  88.7 KBName:  IMG_0196.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  91.3 KBName:  IMG_0197.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  92.3 KB

I can't wait for the other pieces to show up!

Al

Im running leaf springs right now, and have awefull wheel hop. I bought a set of caltracs and im sure that will help but next winter she is getting ridetech 4 link or Detroit speed 4 link... ridetech is only 45 min away from my home so I can save lots on shipping and time with its bolt on style... Do you have any problems with the 4 link?

Al,

Good to see you working on your car. Hopefully we can catch up at an event this summer.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hi Andrew

Yes-we will catch up this year. I am planning to go to the Gingerman event again, Columbus Goodguys and Bob Bertelsen is having an AutoX which will be local to me-should be a fun year and it will be good to catch up there.

Wicked-I really like the ride tech 4 link. One advantage that has to the DSE kit is you don't have to cut the floor in the ridetech kit and box in for the upper links. The cradle bolts in and the lower 4 links go to the leaf spring buckets, and the uppers bolt to the cradles. If you are going to track the car or autox a lot, I would recommend going to a heim end as it does allow a "lot" more articulation than a bushed end. When I built my car I got a very early kit and at that time they did not offer a rear sway bar, so I will need to retro fit the sway bar using their new mounts. The new kits do have the rear sway bar mounts included.

The ridetech kit works well for me-the car pushes a bit with no rear bar, but from people I have talked to they are not very suprised. I also drive the car a lot with the throttle in autox, which makes it OK if it pushes a little. I am curious how a rear bar will improve my driving and make the car better also.

My rear sway bar arrived at work today; I will pick it up at lunch and take some pics in the next few days. I can't wait to start putting all the parts on it. As you can see in the pics, the frame and front end need some cleaning!

Al

I was really liking the fact that you dont have to do any cutting on the car, witch I dont really mind, but Im just wanting something that works as well and a fast install. I love the way ridetech's kits just bolts right in. I know alot of peopl use it. For a 200 bucks I was going to upgrade to the Heim ends, thought it wold be worth it. I would like to see picks of the rear sway when you get everything installed!

-Brian

Hi Brian

I just got the rear bar today from work, and will install the front bar this wekeend. The rear will be a couple of weeks out as I need to take it to a friends shop to weld the mounts on, but I will post some pics of it.

Shocks shipped from ridetech Friday, calipers are on their way back, and afco coil overs for the rear have also been rebuilt. Control arms are scheduled to ship this coming week.

I am getting excited!

Al

Hi Guys

I just posted the front sway bar install thread. I hope everything goes that easily-piece of cake! A link is:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ature-upgrades

I will post more as parts arrive.

Al

Hi Guys

Finally got the car back together. A link to the front coil over and a-arm install is here: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-shock-install

The car handles so much better, it is really a huge improvement. I have not had time to hit a local autocross yet, but will do so in the next few weeks. I will also post up the rear sway bar installation soon as well.

Thanks
      Al

A link to the rear sway bar install story is: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ay-bar-install

Thanks. Car drives reall nice. I almost got a "driving award" from a local officer coming home from work last week. Lucky he was cool and a car guy!

Al

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com