Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1968 Camaro project

New project starting, would love to have some input. Plans are for a 383 with AFR heads and a hyd roller cam trying to get at least 500hp and 490#. Plan to run a TKO 600 5 speed. DSE front stage 3 kit and their leaf springs in the back with a 2" drop all around. Thinking of using 1/2 height body mounts to bring it down some more. Baer brakes at all 4 corners and a nice 12 bolt out back. Still trying to figure out if I can run a 4 point cage and still get my 2 year old in and out of the back seat. Any suggestions and tips will be nice. Thanks

Name:  camaro1.jpg
Views: 2245
Size:  25.9 KB
      Attachment 59102
      Attachment 59103
      Attachment 59104

More progress... Vintage air will be nice this summer if I can get the car done before fall.

Country Flag: United States
      Looks Like a nice project! sounds like your parts list will make it a fun car to drive! Good luck

I think it will be when its done. Still a long way to go. The car was a driver when I bought it but for some reason when the motor started knocking the suspesion and interior were no long any good either. Then I decided the paint went bad when the motor went out so now it has to be broken down and sent to my paint/body guy.

Name:  camaro5.JPG
Views: 1819
Size:  118.9 KB

After reading a thread about roll cages on the street I decided to remove that from the build as I will be eventually having a taller passange in the back as my daughter grows up. Other than sub frame connectors are the any ideas on how to stiffen up the chassis?

I think you made a wise decision there scrapping a roll cage having kids as passengers. The car sounds like it will spend a great deal of time as a cruiser. I personally would do DSE subframe connectors. Those will greatly stiffen your chassis. If you want to further stiffen it, then you could make or purchase a crossmember like the one DSE sells. OR, you could add the convertible car bracing underneath your floor pan. You could also stitch weld all the factory lap welds

build on fellow camaro owner, build on

Sounds like a great project, have fun with it
      Havii Gonzalez, OC Calif.

68' MARO - UNDER FULL RESTO - LSX ect..

Used to be known as stilo

1968 Camaro project

Talked to my painter today, it was going to be a few months before he could get to it and now he wants to work weekends to do if in a few weeks! Now all I have to do is prep the car. Oh wait, I should probably pick a color! And I was planning on the DSE sub connectors but I want this car to be solid! I'll look into doing both the stitch welds and the convertible floor pans. The car will find its way onto a track and I plan on driving it like I stole it (the only way I know how to drive a sports car/bike unless the kiddo is in the car) but I know that the suspension can get as expensive as I want it to be so my question is does the high end front suspension make as big of a difference when Im still planning on running leaf springs in the back?

Engine bay wiring harness and front clip are now gone. Time to get the old DA out and a red scotch bright pad and clean up the firewall and subframe. Starting to zero in on a paint color/scheme.
      Name:  camaro6.jpg
Views: 5332
Size:  259.1 KB

1968 Camaro project

All electrical components are now out of the car. Going to use American autowire kit. Does anyone have any advice on this kit and if there is a problem using it with a power window kit? Which power window kit works best for you guys? Needing tips please, are the power window kits worth it? And the painless no key push button kit (the wife wanted me to do that one)? Is there any issue using that kit with a carbureted engine? I thought long and hard about doing an ls3 but I still love the sound a 4 barrel carb at wide open throttle.

Moving right along! I used the American Autowire Kit on my 67. I dont have power windows but the kit is one of the best! real easy to install and step by step instructions.... You are in good hands with that kit! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 68TTT View Post
      All electrical components are now out of the car. Going to use American autowire kit. Does anyone have any advice on this kit and if there is a problem using it with a power window kit? Which power window kit works best for you guys? Needing tips please, are the power window kits worth it? And the painless no key push button kit (the wife wanted me to do that one)? Is there any issue using that kit with a carbureted engine? I thought long and hard about doing an ls3 but I still love the sound a 4 barrel carb at wide open throttle.

The car looks great and the project sounds even better...... PM sent

1968 Camaro project

Making progress. Thanks for the input Wicked. And BMR, I'll be looking into your kit.
      I already have my vintage air kit, engine block and my AFR heads.
      Sometimes I look at the car and think I'm never going to get done and other times I look at it and think "this isn't so hard." What I want most out of this build is a car that doesn't have the rattles and sloppy feel that old cars always have.
      Does anyone have any opinions on using full size body mounts vs half size?

I know this post is 4 completely different thoughts. It's hard to type as fast as this project has my head spinning...

Making progress. Thanks for the input Wicked. And BMR, I'll be looking into your kit.

Here is a install article that Super Chevy did a few years back:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...all/index.html

Here is a VERY informative tech article written by our R&D manager explaining what it does:

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ems/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 68TTT
      Your kit looks very nice. I've read a lot on the DSE kits and the TVS kits but I don't know that much about yours. Are there any builds on the forum where your system was used?
      Please take a look at the link below for a member here who installed our rear suspension with a Ford 9 in. in his 73 Firebird, the 10/12 bolt GM kit is virtually the same other than the manner in which it bolts to the differential.

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=TORQUE+ARM

Here is a picture of our full suspension installed on a 69 Camaro with our bolt-on subframe connectors:

1968 Camaro project

From what I understand, to run 275's up front I will need to notch the frame, but I'm not sure. I read the buildup on the '73 and he was talking about putting 275s on the front. Do you know if I could do such a wheel without cutting the frame?

1968 Camaro project

Sanding... Sanding... And more sanding. Almost have the floor pan clean enough to seal. At that point in the project where everything seems to be moving in slow motion. I'm ready (in my head) to start ordering parts but I an running out of room in the garage fast. I need to sell a my sport bike to help fund this project and to make room in the garage. Anyone looking for a clean 2008 Honda cbr1000rr??

Sanding is one of those things that almost takes on a theraputic aspect, but boring as it gets! Good luck on the CBR..... too bad you have to sell it.

You can run a 275 tire on a 10" wheel when you buy the Ride Tech Tru Turn kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ART-11169500/

Thanks Rich. Im still looking over all the options out there. Its so hard to pick one with no hands on feel of the systems.

Thanks Rich. Im still looking over all the options out there. Its so hard to pick one with no hands on feel of the systems.
      Completely understood.... we will be at Columbus Goodguys this year with our complete suspension display if you are going stop bye and take a look!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com