Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need a little assistance here please....

I'm not really sure what this qualifies as. It's clearly rust, but it can't be ground off and I certainly don't want to paint over it. I've tried to grind it off and it just doesn't go away. It's almost stained as it doesn't really have a rough surface. What is the correct method to make sure this doesn't propagate? I'm guessing I need to treat it with a neutralizer of some sort but thought I'd blow it by you guys before I purchased anything. TIA.

Name:  DSC08388.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  103.2 KB
      Name:  DSC08387.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  115.2 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

Rick Butterfield

I had some similar looking spots on my front fenders. I LIGHTLY sandblasted the area, then used an acid etch (POR 15 Metal ready), Then Epoxy primer. Only time will tell how long it will last. I like the POR 15 stuff, but I just can't bring myself to use it under the exterior paint.(the POR 15 paint, that is)
      Mike South
      1968 Camaro SS/RS LS1/T56
      Ride Tech Tru Turn, Ride Tech T/Q Coil-overs
      Ride Tech 4-link

I have some Rust Bullet but like you, I'm hesitant to use it under the paint. This dude cracks me up. At 4:10 the roof of the mustang appears to look like what I have. I do not know the chemistry that's involved but he uses vinegar water to neutralize his rust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqff_...feature=relmfu

Rick Butterfield

I have never heard of using vinegar like that.... but I'm going to try it. That was the same ratio my Dr. told me to soak my feet in, to kill atheletes feet. LOL
      Mike South
      1968 Camaro SS/RS LS1/T56
      Ride Tech Tru Turn, Ride Tech T/Q Coil-overs
      Ride Tech 4-link

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzKillian View Post
      I have never heard of using vinegar like that.... but I'm going to try it. That was the same ratio my Dr. told me to soak my feet in, to kill atheletes feet. LOL
      Drinking apple cider vinegar also gets rid of really bad dry skin... it probably kills that athletes foot too.. treat it from the inside out!
      /hijack

I drink apple cider vinegar to relieve really bad heartburn...never noticed my supple skin afterword.

Rick Butterfield

Get rid of it all by blasting,then get some epoxy on before filler or primer and paint
      Do what's right,not what's easy
      69 Firebird
      71 Cuda
      98 Supra 6speed white APU
      98 Lexus GS400tt widebody

Elite Custom Body
      Stefan B.

Thought about that. I thought for sure it would've come off with the 24 grit disc I ran over a few spots. When it didn't I was at a bit of a loss...hence the post. I have some glass bead I can run through my blaster as to not warp the panel. Thanks for the post.

Rick Butterfield

Quote Originally Posted by Happyfunballs View Post
      I drink apple cider vinegar to relieve really bad heartburn...never noticed my supple skin afterword.
      I drink Braggs every morning.. its got rid of random reflux I used to have too. I swear by the stuff.

ppg has a 2 part metal conditioner one part is blue and the other a pale green use those it puts a galvinized coating on it. i cant remember the #'s off hand but it works great i use it alot on cars at work.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com