Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

Hydraulic Flat Tappet or Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller Cam? And which one?

I'm looking for a little camshaft advice for my '67 Camaro. It's a 4spd with 3:31's, headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust.

I pulled the intake and heads off my 350 today and it has no provisions for a roller cam. The block number is 10054727, which is an '87-95 block, but it is a truck motor, so it does not have the bosses in the valley for a spider.

I will be installing a set of Vortec heads. I have already swapped out the valve springs for a set of LS6 beehive springs, which in theory should bring the max lift up from .480 to .550. I also have an Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec intake for it, and will be re-using my Edelbrock 600cfm carb. I have an electric fuel pump FWIW.

I'm going to be using a Comp Cam, along with their lifters and pushrods, but would welcome everyone's input on which cam I should run. Should I look at the Retro-Fit roller cams, or just go with a flat tappet?

This isn't going to be a daily driver, but it will see mostly street duty so it still needs to be driveable. I do want an agressive idle, and would like to make some very good power. Any recommendations? XE line? Thumpr line? Thanks.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com