Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Hungary

caliper clearance

I got a set of 17" Sparco Racing NS II wheels yesterday. Originally they were for japan cars but they are good for fords also as they have 5x4.5" bolt pattern. They look so nice I had to buy them. The offsets are a little big (17x8 ET32, 17x9 ET38) and I have to enlarge the center hub hole but It seems I can use them on my 68 Mustang.
      My only problem is that the SSBC calipers I am planning to use seems a little big inside the 17" rims. The brake kit is 13" so it should be ok but when I put the template inside the wheels I measured only 2-3mm between the top of the caliper and the rim. Is that safe enough? Even if I use spacers (I have to) I am in the same shoe. The spokes are ok there are plenty of rooms.

Here are the rims. I think they are really cool. They will be flat black on the center and bright black on the inner and outer rim.
      Name:  20121104734.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  102.8 KBName:  20121104735.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  118.7 KBName:  20121104736.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  98.4 KBName:  20121104737.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  86.7 KB

Country Flag: United States
      If the caliper is a fixed mount then you should be OK, but floating calipers will move a little bit and might take up that 3mm clearance. I'd call SSBC and see just how close their templates are to the real thing, maybe they leave a little bit extra there to allow more clearance on their end.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Country Flag: Hungary
      Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      If the caliper is a fixed mount then you should be OK, but floating calipers will move a little bit and might take up that 3mm clearance. I'd call SSBC and see just how close their templates are to the real thing, maybe they leave a little bit extra there to allow more clearance on their end.

-Dale
      They are floating... :(
      I will contact SSBC. Thanks.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com