Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Cooling Mods for T-56 Question.

We switched from a Richmond ROD to a T-56 magnum and noticed at our last race the Trans oil temp was 250 degrees.

We have a pump and cooler, but need to know where to tap into the trans for the best. Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of their T-56 cooling mods?
      Chris Bischof
      My G-body homepage
      '86 Pontiac 2+2 ORR car, '86 Regal T-type, '86 GN, '89 TTA, '13 GTHIG 5.0
      SORC 115 mph Class Winner '07, '10, '11, '13, '15

why not use the drain and fill ports that are already in the case? just have to "T" the temp sensor back in to the line.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post
      why not use the drain and fill ports that are already in the case? just have to "T" the temp sensor back in to the line.
      That is what we tried for our last race and running the pump through a huge cooler seemed to have no lasting effect on the temps. The Fill and drain may be too close?

The Corvette people we talked to said to input onto 4th gear and exit out the drain, but we wanted a better idea of where that was.
      Chris Bischof
      My G-body homepage

Update on T 56 cooling in /out points

Did you ever sort this out...or has any one else?.. I am building a 76 LS powered Camaro and want to cool my T %^ Magnum and Winters 9" rear.....any info on systems or components that have been proven would be greatly apreciated

Quote Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
      That is what we tried for our last race and running the pump through a huge cooler seemed to have no lasting effect on the temps. The Fill and drain may be too close?

The Corvette people we talked to said to input onto 4th gear and exit out the drain, but we wanted a better idea of where that was.

I wasn't there when they did it, dad and his mechanic pressurized the trans with air and drilled the case with a greased bit so the chips blew out and stuck to the bit, then they tapped it and put in a fitting.

Then hooked it to our existing trans cooler/pump we used with our Richmond. I doubt they took any pictures.

Based on the temps we were seeing and that all fast Corvettes have pumps/cooling on their T56's, This appears to be something that can't hurt.
      Chris Bischof
      My G-body homepage

Any ideas on where to return the fluid back to the trans? My magnum has a threaded plug on the drivers side near the front. About where the hookup for the CSC admittedly I haven't looked into what that plug is for but it seems far enough away from the drain to be effective at circulation fluid through the trans.

Also related, it seems a filter inline couldn't hurt, anyone see otherwise?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Check with Mark Bowler. There is a pic on his facebook page. He modifies the front of the trans.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Any ideas on where to return the fluid back to the trans? My magnum has a threaded plug on the drivers side near the front. About where the hookup for the CSC admittedly I haven't looked into what that plug is for but it seems far enough away from the drain to be effective at circulation fluid through the trans.

Also related, it seems a filter inline couldn't hurt, anyone see otherwise?
      Mark Bowler has a modified front cover that uses the 5th gen internal pump.
      Donny, I've been using a Setrab inline filter for my diff cooler that works well, it has a rare earth magnet that catches anything the filter misses. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=9561

Tim are running a cooler on your transmission? Do you know what kind of temps you see on your car?
      Thanks Eric

Quote Originally Posted by eric1967 View Post
      Tim are running a cooler on your transmission? Do you know what kind of temps you see on your car?
      Thanks Eric
      No I'm not, but I plan to.

are these internal fluid pumps, or like a small accusump setup?
      Justin Novick
      Sales/Support
      Entropy Radiator / Engineered Cooling Products
      "The Sexiest Radiators For The Sexiest Hot Rods"

www.EntropyRad.com www.SpeedCooling.com

The TR6060/T56 Magnums have internal pumps already.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com