Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
      Cool pics. Looks like fun.

I would like to know how the trailer ball is attached on the OLC rear bumper.
      If you can find it, Dave P. posted some pics before the first one lap run of how he did it.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

If that tire gets low, you'll feel it pulling to the left. Even the Run flats pulled when we had a bad valve stem.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

That's a tough track to learn quickly. I'm really glad you both got a chance to drive there.

Country Flag: Canada
      It seems to be fixed - we'll take a good look when we stop for gas somewhere around Whichita. On Carl's run this morning the fronts grew about 9 (!) pounds from cold. On my run his morning the drivers front lost 2 so it was getting pretty bad. I'm ticked that I let it get in my head for that run, but all that I could think was that if the tire went south (and at that point we were thinking tire not wheel) I could damage the rim and if I damaged the rim then we were done. Period. Hard to run with that running commentary between your ears during the lap. Plus we overfilled the tire for the run and on lap 2 I got hard on the brakes in 10 - a short but fast straight into a really long sweeper - and the right front locked, like audible, in the car loud, locked. My assumption was the worst and I had a hard time on lap 3.

I think that Carl probably picked up the points I left behind so best case the day is a push and we carry on tomorrow.

J
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

Results are up: http://www.onelapofamerica.com/event....do?eventId=31

Carl placed 1st in class this afternoon! Great job on a tough track!
      James, leader Leh Keen is streaming video most of the time, even on the road. They are ahead of you so you can peek at what the weather is like if they have the camera pointed forward like they do now. Download the Ustream app & you can see the video even when not on wifi. The app is not needed for a regular computer.
      http://topspeedtuned.com/onelap/
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 05-07-2012 at 02:17 PM.

You're welcome to borrow one of my forgelines if you are allowed and if its close enough n size. I'll see you guys in the am here in Colorado.
      David Beckstrom DVM

Here's a photo of the hitch. I duplicated a typical hitch you could buy back in the day for a 1st Gen Camaro. The top 3/8" bolt holes were already in the bumper, I guestimated the width & bent the "frame" it came out a little wider than I intended but at least it came out pretty even side to side which is pretty tough to do. The top ends have a slight twist in them to match the bumper. The tail pan is double walled in this area which stiffens it a lot & adds strength. Lower bolts are 5/16".
      There was another type of hitch that had two long braces that ran under the fuel tank with more support but this one has worked very well. I estimate the trailer weight at 450 lbs empty. with all the gear in it, - maybe 1200?
      David
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 05-07-2012 at 03:54 PM.

The afternoon session is over and Team OLC is on the way to Denver. With a 9-1/2 hour non-stop drive in front of us, we can reasonably expect to spend 10-1/2 in-transit. It's going to be a long ride, and James just busted out the NOS dring and junk food.

Given the cards we were dealt his morning, today has turned out to be the best we could have hoped for. I needed to go out and drive an unfamiliar track and do better than our very experienced competitor in the American Vintage class. After the run I came back to the pits shaking. That run at Hallet is in the top three most fun/exhilarating/terrifying runs I have ever done. James asked how it went and I said "I drove it like I stole it, and I treated her in a very-unladylike fashion too", or something along those lines. I managed a 4:38.003 vs our competitors best of 4:38.127. That was close!

So off we go to another track that we have not driven before. The weather looks like it's going to hold and we are strategizing the best way to get the most point bang for our efforts.

David, thank you for the offer on the rim. It's been six hours since the repair and all is well, so we don't think we'll need it. See you tomorrow for an exciting day. OLoA is done with military precision, so the driving festivities will start on time. We may be a bit rushed first ting but please find us and say howdy.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Carl & James, one thing I heard happened today was a guy blew a radiator hose and a following car skidded off the track when he hit the coolant. Keep an eye on the pavement for fluids as you make your run. I know it is tough when you are focused on doing a good lap but you might see something obvious and just set your mind to quickly recognize it and avoid it if possible. Fluids are somewhat easy to see when heading into the sun, you will see a shiny spot, but not so much the other way. If there is a car off the track ahead, it may have dropped something or hit something slippery, sometimes you can smell the coolant.

I hit a four foot wide patch of engine oil a hundred feet long once at Laguna Seca, it came out of a Big Block Can-Am car that broke a dry sump hose. I was VERY lucky I saw it!
      David

I ran in the run group immediately following the spill. The track guys did a great job of cleaning it up and it had no ill effect.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Keep an eye on Andy Hollis in the Honda, he's amazing in that car & very organized.

Day 3 - Byers, CO - midnight

Well we're safe and sound in Byers, CO after a long and difficult transit stage...
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1

Woo hoo. That ain't no Four Seasons right there. LOL
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Day 4 - Colorado - this changes everything

Monday... Not a great day for the OLC Team...

There is no really easy way to tell this story, so for now I will keep it short. About an hour after we left Hallett Carl received a phone call from home and now, a little more than 12 hours later, he's headed in to Denver to catch a flight home. Another reality of the One Lap is that while we're here, doing our thing, live goes on all around us and sometimes stuff happens that you just can't plan for or fix.

I will be weighing my options today and trying to find a way to finish the week. It's a daunting proposition but if it comes to it I will try to find a way to finish solo.

I would guess that our blogs will become slightly less regular but I'll try to keep everyone up to date.

Safe travels home Carl.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 05-08-2012 at 06:27 AM.
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1

I hope everything's okay with Carl's family. He'll be in my thoughts today.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Ha... the No tell Motel

Wow... hope all is/goes well for Carl.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of help from people here on the board for the next few days. Wish I was closer to some of the other events but not really much I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
      I hope everything's okay with Carl's family. He'll be in my thoughts today.
      Roger that!
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

My Best to you James as you press on. Just take a gorilla warfare attitude and you'll make it! All the members here are ready and willing to help on your journey. Maybe get a volunteer co-driver in between events if that's allowed?

Carl - if you're reading this let me know if there's anything I can do!
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Day 4 - High Plains Raceway - 12:30 PM

The morning session at High Plains went OK apart from narrowly missing an on track incident at the end of the front stretch. It wound up costing me a few seconds (what is it about the morning runs... can't I get one good one in?) but although the position overall was low we ran first in class and should continue to hold on to our lead.

I was also able to hook up with another competitors who's car broke yesterday to help with the transit driving. If you know me you know that my sunny disposition isn't always apparent so it will be interesting to see how this works out...
      Last edited by parsonsj; 05-08-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Fix apostrophes
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com