Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I have fallen a little behind on my picture posting. Here are more Carl sent me yesterday.

James did 0.80g in the wet skidpad! Wow!!

Using a Sharpie to write the shock settings on the underside of the trunk lid.

Team OLC has arrived at Autobahn and are awaiting our turn on the 2.1 mile road course. It's a beautiful facility with grassy infields, panoramic track views, and great food.

The wet skidpad and oval are behind us and James has done bang-up job of putting OLC into first place in the Vintage American class. James placed second in the skidpad and first in the oval. If there is a sweeter sound than OLC's side-exit exhaust note and dry sump whine being bounced around in an oval bowl....wow. Video to come at some point but spending a lot of time uploading vid's will happen as time allows. Time is our enemy.

So far OLC has been running well. There is what we believe to be a nuisance clutch leak in one of the MC fittings. So far it's been OK once things were re-tightened and filled with fluid.

Tonight is a rough drive with 450 miles in front of us once we finish at Autobahn. 2:00am here we come.

The starting position after today depends on how well one qualifies on day one. Since I have never driven OLC in anger, the best choice is to let James do all of Day 1 track driving. Besides, he lost the bet to do the wet shidpad to Mary, and neither of us had driven an oval.

This hardcore. Andy Hollis and his CRX. He carries all of his stuff in the car, takes out both seats at each event and bolts in a Kirkey race seat.
      Each and every event. Oh, and this little car finished second OVERALL in wet skidpad and 9th OVERALL in the oval, and he does it all with stock disk/drum brakes.

The pits at Autobahn. First run group about to go out @ 4:30pm. It's going to be a long drive tonight.
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Sunday updates

Rain or shine, the OLoA show must go on. We're getting packed up to head to the track and test the wet adhesion limits of the new Pilot Super Sports.

Late last night while Carl was driving the 440-mile transit stage to Council Bluffs, IA, Team OLC tag-teamed a deer on I35S. Thankfully the big rig took the first hit, but now it's a stew of Raccoon and Deer on the undercarraige of OLC.
      Larry Callahan

Country Flag: Australia
      Well, thats going to smell nice in a day or two....
      Good luck, today, guys.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Country Flag: Canada

Day 2 - Mid America Motorplex - 1130 AM

After a lousy start to the day (weather wise) we're at the track and finished our first run of the day. No official times yet but the front straight proved to be too much for the anvil carbon fiber hood.
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

Shipka about to go for the morning session at Mid-America. It's sunny and drying out but it may start raining again for the afternoon.

So just how fast was James going this morning?

Larry Callahan

A hole in the hood is better than a hole in the head I say.
      Larry Callahan

What? No deer antlers stuck in the grill?! Or does the Racoon-splitter just work better than expected? ;-)

G.

if you need any help in the st.paul Mn. area you can count on me.more than willing to lend a hand might even be able to run with you guys for a while.I want to wish you good luck and have a great time.

Day 2 - Hwy 29 South - 2:45 PM

We're on the road, leaving Mid America with the car mostly in one piece... Between the hood this morning and Carl's... mutilations this afternoon... we're headed South to Oklahoma for the night. 450 miles to go and the weather, so far, seems to be holding up,

Back to Carl for a moment...

This was Carl's first time driving the OLC on track and he did a great job on what may have been the perfect track to see what the car could do.

Now yes... He did very nearly Rupp the front windshield trim (the difference being that unlike Steve, Carl was able to save it) - sorry to most for the inside joke here. Funny story short for those who have no clue about what that last sentence was about... Suffice it to know that the front windshield trim on a first gen Camaro has a terminal velocity after which it sometime... chooses to explore alternative locations besides the windshield. Ours is now affixed with a stylish piece of black duct tape but I am confident that it will remain affixed through the remained of our journey.

And yes, two of the four HRE Wheels center caps are no longer centered on anything... I am assuming that they are sitting just of some apex somewhere on the track... but our friends at HRE should be able to get us fixed up when we get home just fine.

No times yet but I would not be surprised if Carl was as fast, if not faster than I was this morning. We gambled on he weather and I think that we made the right call. The track was wet this morning with standing water in some really inconvenient places but the sun came out and made this afternoons session picture perfect.

But I don't have a picture... Sorry...

Cheers

Last edited by Larry Callahan; 05-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1

LOL about the windshield trim. I lost the upper trim on my '68 at about 130mph.

Glad it's going well. You guys are 28th overall, and first in Vintage American, 70 points to 40 for both your competitiors.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

More stuff flying off

Larry Callahan

Looks like Hollywood finally upgraded his driving suit.

Maybe mount a duct-tape dispenser on the passenger-side dash ;-)

But hey - if you guys are going fast enough for sh*t to come flying off, keep at it!

G.

Heading South on US169

James and I are in the transit stage at the end of Day 2. From Mid-America, near Council Bluffs, IA, to Hallet is a pretty easy transit stage, only 370 miles. With any luck we'll get a good nights sleep tonite, and we'll need it.

Today I took OLC out for the first time on any kind of track. I had spent time cruising farm roads and PCH with David Pozzi, but it told me little about how the car worked under pressure. Thankfully, OLC is similar to my Camaro in many ways, but does them better. More tire, more brakes, more parts flying off.... but I digress. The car works wonderfully and we're getting along well.

Part of the unknown coming into the OLoA for me was exactly that: The unknown. I'm going to be driving an unknown car on a track that I've never been to. There is one warm-up lap, then it's game-on. Three laps as fast as you can go. Don't mess up or you will lose a lot of time or suffer the wrath of penalties for doing something wrong. There are no freebies or do-overs. One shot. Screw it up and you lose positions, and a lot of them.
      One second a lap today could have moved you up, or down, close to 15 positions overall.

So far James and I have been fortunate. We have placed first in four out of five events, with a second on the wey skidpad. We're starting to get our groove-on, learning how to work together to get the car ready, and how to pack up and get on the road quickly. That will be important tomorrow since there is a 614-mile transit stage after the track day at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit.

You want Pro-Touring? It doesn't come any more hardcore than the OLoA.

Just your average Kansas evening drive.

Larry Callahan

Man that is sweet guys. Good luck and keepem comin!
      Rick

Day 2. 7:50pm somewhere in Kansas.

James and I are in the transit stage at the end of Day 2. From Mid-America,
      near Council Bluffs, IA, to Hallet is a pretty easy transit stage, only 370
      miles. With any luck we'll get a good nights sleep tonite, and we'll need
      it.

Today I took OLC out for the first time on any kind of track. I had spent
      time cruising farm roads and PCH with David Pozzi, but it told me little
      about how the car worked under pressure. Thankfully, OLC is similar to my
      Camaro in many ways, but does them better. More tire, more brakes, more
      parts flying off.... but I digress. The car works wonderfully and we're
      getting along well.

Much of the planning for the OLoA was in preparation of the unknown. I'm
      going to be driving an unknown car on a track that I've never been to.
      There is one warm-up lap, then it's game-on. Three laps as fast as you can
      go. Don't mess up or you will lose a lot of time or suffer the wrath of
      penalties for doing something wrong. There are no freebies or do-overs. One
      shot. Screw it up and you lose positions, and a lot of them.
      One second a lap today could have moved you up, or down, close to 15
      positions overall.

So far James and I have been fortunate. We have placed first in four out of
      five events, with a second on the wey skidpad. We're starting to get our
      groove-on, learning how to work together to get the car ready, and how to
      pack up and get on the road quickly. That will be important tomorrow since
      there is a 614-mile transit stage after the track day at Hallett Motor
      Racing Circuit.

You want Pro-Touring? It doesn't come any more hardcore than the OLoA.
      Carl Casanova

Last edited by David Pozzi; 05-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1

Great job guys, you both beat my time from 2010! OLC is rock'in!
      Hallett is next & a lot of fun but has loads of patches.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 05-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Day 3 - Hallett, OK - 9:00 AM

Well we're here and mostly in one piece this morning... We might have a tire issue but hopefully this is the place to deal with it... We're going to have to run with what we have this morning and try to get it fixed between runs...
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1

Day 2. 7:50pm somewhere in Kansas.

When is the event at Hallett?

Great job scoring a shelter! There are only 3 or 4 of them! Must have gotten there early!
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com