Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: UK

Project Nighthawk 1969 Camaro - 69 Super car build

I have loved muscle cars since I was a kid. As an adult, watching the masters like Chip foose and his counterparts on countless car shows on sky tv strengthened that love even more. I knew some day, I would build the car of my dreams, and that day is finally here.

I am going to build a car that embodies everything I love about motoring. Retro style, Lots of usable power, and as much 21st century auto tech. as I can get in. I want a retro bruiser with all the mod cons.

The current plan is, 600hp LS9 motor,
      ridetech full air Suspension upgrades and sway bars managed by Accuair ride management
      Rotiform
      modern design red leather interior
      modern lighting
      digital computer controlled dash and electronics
      lots of custom gizmos and gadgets

Paint wise I am thing of a dark but heavily metalic grey. Almost like shadow chrome you get on some wheels.
      Bespoke body mods including front valance, rear diffuser, side skirts and rear gill.
      Lots of carbon trim

The majority of the build work will be taken care off by the excellent Retro Power

This build thread will serve as summary of the build. For full blow by blow updates and pictures, follow the build on
      the project facebook page http://www.facebook.com/ProjectNighthawk
      and on Twitter here https://twitter.com/#!/ProjNighthawk

Phase one was to come up with some designs. Mike Gillett did an excellent job of turning my ramblings into renders.

more designs Design concepts and rendering

Next, I needed a car to base the build on. I found a beautiful 69 camaro SS clone in hugger orange that had already had some resto work in the past, but you guys convinced me it was too good/original to base the build on, so that was promptly sold and replaced with this rotter off a shell.

Unfortunately I had to buy the shell blind, but the seller assured me it was a perfect base car due to my extensive plans and that structurally it was sound

see the full gallery of base car pics

The car was delivered straight to Retro Power from the seller.

I had heard lots about the abilities of Callum and Nat at retro power, and had read countless forum posts and mag articles about their previous builds.

Seeing their metal work skills on some of their previous projects, and their very reasonable costs and working practices made them a winner.

The boys got straight to work tearing the car apart ready for blasting, which is when we found out, things werent as rosey as the first seemed.

Full gallery of the car pre blasting

After that, there wasnt much car left for blasting! but we had come too far now to turn back so on it went for media blasting and zinc priming

Full gallery of blasted car

Country Flag: Australia
      Ouch...tin worm been having a few midnight snacks.....nasty! I hate rusty cars.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Thanks

be sure to like the face book page here http://www.facebook.com/ProjectNighthawk

or follow the project on @projNighthawk for the full blow by blow updates

Country Flag: Mexico
      "I knew some day, I would build the car of my dreams, and that day is finally here."
      I like where this car is going its gonna be killer, but when are you gonna post a thread for the car your going to build?

I've lurked on here for a while now, watching the great builds and seeing a car thats going to be built in the UK has made me join to say I'll be watching!

I've read about retro power in retro cars magazine and the work they've done looked great in the articles I saw. Keep up the great work!

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by prosuperstar View Post
      "I knew some day, I would build the car of my dreams, and that day is finally here."
      I like where this car is going its gonna be killer, but when are you gonna post a thread for the car your going to build?
      I dont get it? This is my build thread. Do you mean me build it personally? If so, while I could do a lot of the build my self, with a very young family, I dont have the time to put in.. and I want it done quick so I can enjoy it while I am still you lol.

I have done the next best thing and found a bunch of guys I trust to build the car to my standards, and I have done all the research, project management and design.

Once the metal work is done, I will probably do the interior and technology fabrication myself.

Country Flag: Mexico
      Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
      I dont get it? This is my build thread. Do you mean me build it personally? If so, while I could do a lot of the build my self, with a very young family, I dont have the time to put in.. and I want it done quick so I can enjoy it while I am still you lol.

I have done the next best thing and found a bunch of guys I trust to build the car to my standards, and I have done all the research, project management and design.

Once the metal work is done, I will probably do the interior and technology fabrication myself.
      So sorry just bad english on my part. I now I understand

Cheers,

Just thought you guys may want to see the latest rendering.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=32d7571bd9

Guys.. as you can see, I need a lot of sheet metal! Who are the best makers of panels? also does anyone make carbon outer door skins and rear quarters?

Build thread -NightHawk build
      Facebook -Like ProjectNighthawk
      Twitter -@ProjNighthawk

some AWESOME renderings..

Country Flag: United States
      Very cool renderings looks like it will be a really nice project!
      Building a pro-touring 1968 Camaro SS396 Setup.
      Camaro owners welcome to JOIN the CAMARO NATION:
      www.CamaroNation.com Check out "CamaroNation Nights!"

Country Flag: United States
      I love everything about it! Definitely going to be one to follow!
      project 72 chevelle rs1

Used to be known as streetmetal

Thanks guys.. like the facebook page or follow on twitter for the latest updates.. I will post summaries here.

At the moment, still looking for a good supplier for the sheet metal

Twitter -@ProjNighthawk

small project Update.

thanks to

I have almost an entire camaro in a box on its way by boat to me.

Should be here by late july then the fun can begin

If you ever wondered what a camaro kit looks like in a box.. here it is :D

Amit

Twitter -@ProjNighthawk

After what feels like for ever, the parts have finally arrived at retro power HQ

Again big thanks to Auto Metals Direct for helping us out with the panels. Not easy to come by in the UK

Big truck full of camaro

Flat pack camaro

Next step are to formulate a plan and start gluing all this together.

Dont forget to like the facebook page below or follow us on Twitter for blow by blow updates.

Summaries will be posted up in this thread

Twitter -@ProjNighthawk

Its update time.

I decided the ultimate camro wouldnt really be the ultimate camaro on the stock subframe and stock rear end.

So after discussions with RetroPower, we have decided to build a complete chassis from box steel. Retropower have tracked down a chassis bed, and work starts 24th Sept

In the mean time, I have asked Jason at theGMR to start work on the rear end.

I chose GMR because after talking to him for 5mins, I realised he knows his rear ends! He was a font of knowledge and information

So this is what we decided to build

a 9" full floater made up of
      • Chromoly 325inch series housing with strengthening trusses
      • GMR PT-R Aluminium rear hubs with tapered bearings - These are works of art!
      • Strange Engineering 35spline Hytuf Axels
      • Strange Engineering HD Aluminium 3.7 third member with chromoly yoke
      • Strange Engineering S-track Diff.

I decided to go with strange engineering for the complete third member after doing a lot of research on how they have been performing on road and track.

With the top quality components I have gone with, this rear end will be capable of taking as much power as I can throw at it, and leave me headroom for future upgrades.

This rear end should be much lighter than stock, and MUCH stronger. I would of loved to have gone for the titanium housing, but I have to draw the line somewhere and the what I have speced above far exceeds the needs of this project.

Onto the build

Jason starts with a chromolly housing built in the USA from US sourced steel. Note the large hole. This is not a bird feeder, but actually an oversized oil filler/teeth inspection window

Axel tubes welded on

Fully seemed welded. Even the parts that will be hidden

Trusses tacked in place. No axel flex here!

Going to town on the welding

Thats all for now, more to follow.

Keep an eye on the pic album here Rear end build Album, if you cant wait for updates

Twitter -@ProjNighthawk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com