Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

71 Monte coil overs vs. air ride

I'm at the stage where I'm trying to finalize my suspension buy.
      I'm looking at the basic Ride Tech system vs. QA1 coil overs.

obviously price would be the first factor with the ride tech running around 2k and the coil overs about half of that.
      ride height adjustability falls in favour of the ride tech system(for ease), but performance handling wise, how does it compare to the QA1?

the car won't see track time, just spirited long distance driving and parking lot,car show duty.
      I'd appreciate any input

a few basic details
      UMI rear suspension,tubular front arms with ride tech dropped spindles, 19x10 and 19x12 wheels.
      Warren

Country Flag: United States
      I ran rear air ride on my 71 Monte for about 2 yrs, and just ran single lines to fittings at each end of the rear bumper,,,there are holes there. Nuts and washers held the air fittings I got at local hardware store for bladder tanks. 1/8" pipe thread female .1/4 " quick connects and I could fill my car just about anywhere but most times ran it around 55 to 65 lbs. If your trying to lower than stock you may want to use the shorter 9000 series spring.
      You dont have to have a large tank, air pod or computer controls. My 78 C10 has paddle switches, and individual line to front springs, and t-line in back. I run 3 guages and use an AC compressor to build air pressure but as long as your sealed up, and have time,a pump and small tank are fine. BUT I do recommend getting more compressor than you think you will ever need. Money well spent. I have one friend who plumbed a portable air tank in for a reservoir. Then he had air for when ever he needed it. On my truck I added a ball valve and rubber hose I kept in bed of truck. Two things, if I worked on truck near a compressor Icould hook up OR if I needed to air up a tire or even use an impact,,,,.
      For air ride in my honest opinion there is no comparison. My old truck with 255/70/15 and 30x9.50x15C tires hung with an Eibach/Goodyear F1 equipt 4th gen F body in twisty roads. oh and if you want to cruise low you can, cruise high you can. and if you lay car out right its harder to steal.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com