Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Need help with wheels/tires for a '65 GTO

I am stalled with this decision. I would really appreciate and help I can get at this point. I have a '65 GTO with a AirRide suspension and Currie 9+ rear. I need 5x4.75 wheels and measured that I can stuff an 11" tire with 6" of backspace from the rotor on the rear. I would like to get as large a tire in the rear as possible as my engine dynoed at 615. I have one of the wheelrite tools, but the 6" backspace seems to be more than that tool can handle. My main use of this car will be for street use and some possible Autocross. I am not against having different tires for doing autocross, so at this point just want to get some nice wheels/tires to get things moving.

I personally like the thinner spoke design rims and would like a deep gray or titanium color rim, but have not really found anything in 5x4.75 that works. My initial thoughts on tire size was that I could easily deal with a 275/30R18 in the rear and have not thought too much about the front yet. Getting a 285 or 295 in the rear would be even better, just not sure I can stuff those in the stock wheel wells.

What I don't want to do is have to purchase a whole set of wheels/tires and then return them because I didn't order the right thing. Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated, especially for some wheels that might work. So, would a 18x10 rim with a 1" offset be equivalent to my measurement of a 6" backspace?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Country Flag: United States
      call Vintage Wheel Works

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com