Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

69 camaro factory wiring harness- need wire thats hot with key on/while cranking

About to wire in LS1 computer harness on my buddy's 69. Ive done a few LS1 swaps with AAW harness, but never with stock harness. Was planning on using test light, but thought I'd ask first to same myself some time. I was thinking long the lines of the ignition to the old distrib. Scott

S terminal on the starter, at least on the original stater not sure about the LS starter.
      Brad Shepard
      69 Malibu
      Marshall, MO

Do you need the circuit to be on only when the key is in the START postion, or on in both IGN and START?

The OE wire to the coil is hot at all times in IGN and START but the original resistance wire must be removed and a standard wire put in its place. If you are looking to find a circuit to provide power to the ECM during IGN and START then this is the wire to use.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

You are looking for the pink wire. That is hot while cranking (and after cranking) and is the one you want to connect your ECM power to.

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks for the help guys. We should be wiring it in this weekend. There are 3 power wires on the modified harness
      Orange- BATT/12v constant
      Pink- fuel pump feed/ignition
      Pink- engine harness feed (key on)

Would it be best to use an open terminal in the fuse box & use an inline fuse, or splice into another existing wire?

Use an open dedicated terminal and fuse for each of them if you can.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

If you're using the resistor wire (that used to power the points distributor) to power anything, don't unless you plan to use it to power a relay that draws voltage from a constant hot circuit or better yet directly from the battery with a fusible link or a fuse. The only thing the resistor wire is good for is actuating a relay, even if you remove the resistor wire and replace it in the harness you still will only get about 10-11 volts. I ran into this with my 68. I made the mistake of thinking the resistor wire did all the voltage reduction from the firewall connector out to the distributor. I completely removed the wire and replaced it with about a 14 gauge wire only to find the voltage still only measured about 10-11 volts.

I hope this helps in some way!
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com