Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Track Ready, Street Friendly Fuel Tanks From Rick's and Vaporworx.

Rick’s Hot Rod Shop is proud to announce their new series of competition ready, street friendly, and show winning stainless steel fuel tanks. Utilizing the latest in OE technologies these new tanks are a complete fuel delivery system that makes installation and maintenance easy while keeping the overall cost affordable.

What makes this new system special? Rick’s, in cooperation with vaporworx, have incorporated a modern high-performance OE fuel pump module into the hand crafted Rick’s tank designs. The fuel pump module offers benefits such as:
      1) Original Equipment reliability. It’s hard to beat OE testing and validation for long-term performance and reliability.
      2) All-in-one design. The module has a built-in fuel filter and pressure regulator. Only a single line out to the fuel rail is needed. The return lines, external filters, regulators, extra plumbing, and all of the other parts and mounting space required for a traditional return-type setup are no longer needed. Fuel heating is also minimized since no external return line is needed.
      3) OE sealed wiring connections. All power and fuel level sending signals route through a single OE sealed connector.
      4) Multiple ohm range fuel sending units can be used including the early 0-90 ohm type and a more modern 40-240 ohm OE unit.
      5) OE fuel pump module seals, cam rings, and fuel pressure regulators are used. Need a new part in a hurry? They are as close as your GM dealer or auto parts store.
      6) Fully serviceable through the fuel pump module mounting ring. The tank construction has been designed to allow for servicing of all components without the need for special tools. All that is needed to empty the tank of serviceable parts is a Philips screwdriver, Channel Lock pliers, and side cutters.
      7) All stainless tank construction. The fuel pump module mounting ring is machined from 304 stainless tubing and TIG welded to the tank for reliability.
      8) 620 horsepower capable @ 58psi using 13.5v input voltage and a 0.5 BSFC. Perfect for many Chevy, Ford, and Dodge EFI engine conversions. Voltage boosters, such as the Magnuson Magnavolt, have shown an increase in fuel delivery up to 750hp.
      9) Superb fuel delivery even under low-fuel conditions. Extensive track and real-world street testing have shown excellent results with the Vaporworx fuel module option. The fuel pump module also ties into a corner pickup system in order to use the maximum amount of available fuel even under demanding track conditions.
      10) Many new designs also have a long-range, increased volume option.
      11) Modified tanks to accommodate larger exhaust, offset leaf spring brackets, etc. are also available.

This new design allows fuel system installation to be significantly easier than past designs. Since only a single pressure line to the engine is required there is no need to mount pressure regulators, fuel filters, return lines, clamps, etc. Just install the Rick’s tank as you would a stock design, and plumb in a single pressure line to your engine fuel rail. It is possible to have aftermarket tubing companies modify a stock hard fuel line with the connections of your choice to make routing simple and clean.

This new design has been extensively tested in both the real world and laboratory. Road course testing has shown that the new tank design is very capable to less than one gallon of fuel remaining in the tank. Also, in the very capable hands of Mary Pozzi, the tank was subjected to five consecutive (no breaks) one-minute high-speed autocross runs, followed by 10 minutes of fun time around the course. Starting with just under four gallons in the tank, the fuel delivery was flawless. Laboratory tests have confirmed that at very low fuel levels when only one corner pickup is used, i.e. hard cornering, that just over one minute of full pump output can be delivered to the engine before the module reservoir runs dry. That’s serious performance.

So when it’s time to get a new fuel system for your fuel injected project, please give Rick’s a call. We’ll be happy to discuss your project and help you consider the options, benefits, labor considerations, and overall cost so that the best fuel system decision can be made.
      Thank you for thinking of Rick’s Hot Rod Shop tanks. We look forward to serving you.

http://www.rickstanks.com

[email protected]
      Last edited by CarlC; 08-24-2013 at 08:28 AM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Carl: That looks great. Even better, it looks like it will work. Where do I send my money and how much do I send?

Are operators standing by?
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Now that's an open ended question that I like! Just keep adding zeros Mike! I've been testing this system for five months to make sure it did what I wanted it to, and so far it has not let me down.

vaporworx is me. I've been working on the designs above for the past 11 months. I'm the design side of this system. Rick's is the fabrication and sales side. For pricing and sales Hector at Rick's is the guy to talk to.

My goal is to turn OE fueling solutions into designs that are practical for the types of cars that we have a passion for. The OE's spend millions designing these systems so why not use them? In that light, my hope is to share the knowledge that I have learned along the way. I'll be an open book about the performance characteristics of this new design.

I've been lucky enough to have several other members help me to get these ideas off the ground, and they deserve a lot of credit.

First, that really nice 3D working model was done by Lance-W. Lance and I are very much alike in the way we think about things. I would start to bounce an idea at him and he'd finish my thought. He came up with ideas and different perspectives that helped to make the design cleaner and easier to build. I'm a CAD novice, but he makes is look easy. Thank you Lance.

Larry Callahan also helped in that he was able to assist with making prototypes of the module mounting ring. But, more importantly, Larry has this great website that allows us to share experiences, thoughts, needs, etc. I can't fathom how much knowledge is shared here and how much I have benefited from it.

Cris at JCG also gets a hand. He listened to my ideas with patience and had the trust to move forward with them. Much Gras Amigo.

Questions? Fire away.
      Last edited by CarlC; 09-08-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Nice stuff Carl. Frank and I are working with Hector on one for Unfair already!

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Congradulations Carl, very nice design.

but I must say I am not a fan of them fuel module locking rings...many a busted knuckles in my day.

Which tool is required?

Vince
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Thanks Vince.

Unlike an OE design where the "legs" of the tank ring are thin, the legs on this design are very beefy. So, all that is needed is to R&R the cam ring is a large pair of Channel Lock pliers. One jaw on the side of the ring leg, and the other jaw on the cam ring outer diameter notch. The Channel locks provide more leverage than a designed socket/tool, and there is better accessibility as well. The piloting diameters of the mounting ring for the cam were also designed so that it would be an easy one-man, one-tool operation. Also, there are provisions in the ring to help the cam ring to rotate easier. A simple Philips screw acts as a locking mechanism.

Using a standard o-ring'ed flange was considered but it has several disadvantages. The primary disadvantage is that the flange would need to have threaded holes, and they are not blind. Hence, there would be a tank penetration for each screw. Making the flange thicker so the holes could be blind would be expensive and heavy. The retaining ring would also be pretty large in diameter, close to 7-1/2", and have a bunch of machined holes and counterbores. Making the mounting ring to fit a $15 OE cam ring made the most sense from a cost and safety perspective.

The side cutters remove the zip tie that holds the corner pickup transfer tubes to the center tab on the front wall of the tank.

JP, Unfair might need just a little more pump!
      Last edited by CarlC; 09-07-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuick View Post
      Congradulations Carl, very nice design.

but I must say I am not a fan of them fuel module locking rings...many a busted knuckles in my day.

Which tool is required?

Vince
      Looks like a spanner wrench?

Great job Carl. You said it was coming, and 24 hours later you whipped out the tech. Single line too! Thx Bro....so glad it's a Rick's fit/finish. Can't wait to hear more about it!
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

That looks great! It is about time.

Is it the type of pump and pickup that allows the use of a single fuel line?
      Mike

This is GREAT! I was planning a custom Rick's tank anyway, but this makes the product that much better in the end. Thanks for all your work.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

I'll have to go back and digest the original post again,

so, no return line or vapor/vent line?....is the cap vented?....something must let air in to replace the space as fuel is pumped out.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
      so, no return line or vapor/vent line?....is the cap vented?....something must let air in to replace the space as fuel is pumped out.
      2) All-in-one design. The module has a built-in fuel filter and pressure regulator. Only a single line out to the fuel rail is needed. The return lines, external filters, regulators, extra plumbing, and all of the other parts and mounting space required for a traditional return-type setup are no longer needed. Fuel heating is also minimized since no external return line is needed.

i would have to guess the cap is vented. i'm sure they could add a vent and sealed cap. thats what i'll need for my car.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

yeah, it has to be vented somehow, otherwise it would collapse in on itself if the pump was strong enough....LOL
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

The one shown in the CAD model above is for a 69 car. It has the vent up near the fuel cap. All the tanks/years have been modeled and they all have the appropriate vent locations.

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroAJ View Post

i would have to guess the cap is vented. i'm sure they could add a vent and sealed cap. thats what i'll need for my car.

That is my biggest problem with my DSE tank. Venting and gas spillage from venting!
      How does this tank fix that?

Car is a 69 Camaro. I was told vent caps are a no go for these cars due to fill spout location.

Great idea! Can this design be adapted to current Ricks Tanks? I just purchased one last year.

Those look great... and mortgages are cheap these days... :-)

seriously how much for such a tank?
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

There is a provision for a vent on the neck as Lance describes, or a vented cap can be used. Me, I'd run a Stant vented cap if possible but have the provision for the neck venting option as well. The neck vent may also be incorporated into a 1/4" NPT bung on the front wall of the tank (see pic below.)

The location of the tank and filler neck on 1st gen cars makes it very difficult to control every bit of liquid and vapor. It's especially difficult on a '69 car since the filler neck is so short. Using a charcoal canister and a sealed fuel cap correctly means a large canister, hoses, solenoid valves, etc. These are not exactly elegant for our needs. That problem is currently stirring in my brain.

Tim, talk to Hector at Rick's about retrofitting your tank. He has a method to be able to do a retrofit. The photo below is a standard Rick's design that was modified internally with everything in the 3D model. His recessed tray may be different depending upon what you need.

Hector at Rick's is the guy to talk to about pricing and sales, or talk to one of Rick's dealers such as Frank at Prodigy Customs or Cris at JCG Restorations.
      Last edited by CarlC; 09-08-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      The location of tank and filler neck on 1st gen cars makes it very difficult to control every bit of liquid and vapor. It's very tough on a '69 car since the filler neck is so short.
      My 70 uses a vented cap....and it leaks fuel. I would love to see the vent on the neck used ...maybe that vent could use a longer(tall) hose to elevate the vented end above the fil neck so that it doesn't spill fuel?...just thinking out loud, just not sure where to route that extra hose

Routing an upward hose can be done but the chances of liquid spillage are still there as well as vapor leakage. Only a small vent hole is needed.

I helped put in a full vapor recovery system into a 1st gen car. It worked well but it was big and bulky.

Fuel leakage occurs during hard driving and is a nuisance on hidden gas caps. My '68 also leaks fuel but the body-mounted cap leaks on the bumper during spirited driving. In the garage there is no vapor smell. Making sure that the neck and cap sealing surfaces are in good condition is important so that fuel leakage is minimised.

Country Flag: Canada
      Glad to see that you got this together Carl. Too bad that I have to have one now - lol...
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com