Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

big rims and short sidewalls.

ive got a 69 camaro in new jersey (to give you an idea of road conditions) that im in the process of working on. im pretty set on getting 19x12 rims in back and 18x8.5 in the front. however, i dont want big sidewalls on my tires. id like to get a set of nittos for them with a relatively small sidewall. not too ridiculous. just average pro-touring appearance. all the old school guys that i talk with tell me that im going to be buying new rims really fast because theres not enough tire around them and as soon as i hit a pot hole or bump they will dent. can anyone give me some advice or help with this? thanks-David

I don't think pro-touring is as much about sidewall height as it is with overall performance of the vehicle and a stance that improves handling and center of gravity. With that said, the advice you've been given is probably pretty accurate. Regardless of the car the rims and tires are on, a short sidewall gives the rim little protection from being bent when driving over a pothole. Many things will determine the outcome, like speed, weight of vehicle, and size/depth of pothole, but it's probably just a matter of when, not if, if you're going to wrap an aluminum rim with a 30 or 35 series tire.

- David
      1967 Camaro - In remembrance of my friend Scott

You going with NT05 or Invo? Between your wheel size and the Nitto tires available I would go:

245/40/18 & 335/30/19 for NT05's or 245/40/18 & 345/30/19 for Invo's. This way the front and rear sidewall match (~4" sidewall). I wouldn't worry to much about the relatively small sidewall.

There are also a lot of tire options in 325/30/19 because it is the stock Z06 size so there's lots of options from o.e. replacement type stuff to track day sticky tires and you'll sill be very close to the 4" sidewall which is pretty good size. Watch where you're driving and you'll be fine.
      Jason

When you have expensive wheels and tires, you tend to watch for potholes more often.
      Matt

i was looking at the nt05s

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com