Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Monroe Handler

Quote Originally Posted by feeble View Post

The further you are from zero scrub (positive or negative), the higher your steering effort will be.
      Only true in motion (and I'm not convinced there aren't exceptions there). When stopped (parallel parking, etc), scrub can significantly reduce steering effort. In fact, some say thats the reason for scrub existing in OE designs.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by feeble View Post
      Not much to report except more CAD screen shots. The design continues to be refined and is slowly evolving into something that passes my gut check and that I will be able to mostly build in my garage. I had thought at one time about farming the frame rails out to Art Morrison but decided to keep it home built as much as my skill set and available tools would allow.

The roll bar is still dummied in a but a little bit closer to reality as it ties in nicely with the rear shock mounts.

Said this before, but I *think* the rear is done except for the anti-roll bar and housing pivot for the 3rd link. I keep finding little things to improve it but at some point I just have to quit screwing with it. All of the joints are fully articulated in the model so I should be able to do a kinematics study using the tools built into my CAD software.

The lower shock mount is single shear but the Ride Tech shocks will take up to a 5/8" bolt, so I decided to go that route for extra margin of safety

Still working on modeling up purchased components for the front suspension and steering so I can determine pivot points, control arms, etc.. Looks like I am going with the Wilwood Pro Spindle and Afco upper ball joints that are .20" taller than the standard Moog K772 ball joint that would normally be used on a Mustang II with tubular control arms. I will try to keep the factory location pivot points on the frame if the results are good.

When I get the front and rear suspension designed, I'd like to post the specs and dimensions for review by the group to make sure I didn't do anything too out of line. Is that OK?
      A 5/8" bolt in the shock eye will bind. Use their aluminum spacers with a 1/2" bolt & carefully check for enough clearance from step bushing to shock body. On a Camaro, I had to turn down the OD slightly to get more angle clearance using 1/2" spacers.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Thanks for the tip David. I've got some 5/8" hardware coming for the rear that should be OK if my thinking is correct, I'll post pics when it gets here.

I've scrapped the full frame idea, I'd never get the car done if I changed it that much.

I still want to do a three link rear though as I have a lot of the purchased parts already.

To that end, I cut the spare tire well in the hatch area:

and am building this:

which should slip in from the top once I finish removing the rest of the floor out to the existing uni-body frame rails.

Should look JUST like this when it's done. ;-)

The brackets on the front of the lower links bolt-in to replace the stock Mustang II leaf spring hangers.

Assuming my CG height assumption is correct, as shown, anti-squat is 53%. If I want to drag, dropping the rear of the lower link into the bottom hole puts AS at 120%.

I like it man and I admire your skills using the design software. Keep the updates coming!
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

Country Flag: Sweden
      Great engineering!
      It's great to see more people mixing real time pics with cad-renders!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      Great engineering!
      It's great to see more people mixing real time pics with cad-renders!

I agree. I'm enjoying Shawn's build.

Thanks guys! Really helps to be in good company!

Weather here was great today, 60s to low 70s with a light breeze.

Part of the day was spent stripping the rear housing down, leaving the axles. Got the pinion angle roughly set for the 3 link. Leaving the leaf springs in place for now as they do a great job of holding up the car and locating the rear end right where it needs to be.

Also spent more time removing the hatch floor and portions of the structure that holds the upper shock mount. The frame rails are pristine. Still need to finish trimming yet. It looks like the frame work in the CAD shot above should slip in pretty nicely. I have to order the rectangular tubes for that yet (odd size) and get the rest of the tubes cut, holes drilled for the fuel cell mount, etc.

Fuel cell can is all done.

It even fits!

Went from this:

to this:

still have some excess splatter to clean up on a couple parts.

I think it is just about time to start fitting all of this into the car.

Country Flag: Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
      It's like Lego!
      Heavy legos to be sure! I do like things to be modular and bolt together. Some weight could definitely come out of this though.

Ended up getting a Strange 9" housing, seems to be a better fit than the other one I have. Basement partial mock up, build is stalled for now until it warms up some.

Last edited by feeble; 12-09-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Add more pics

Looking good. Nice progress.

Thanks Bryce, I pulled a lot of inspiration from your thread.

The parts I was waiting for showed up today finally (very slow holiday mail service despite being sent Priority Mail) and I made some good progress. We'll call it a 2-link for now...

Next up is locating the upper coil over mounts and attaching the watts link bracket on the frame side. Lots more to do...

Last night and today's progress. Rear subframe is welded up, braces removed and tacked into the car. Watts link in. Splined anti-roll bar mounts in.

Supposed to get cold again, so probably nothing else this year.

A few pics from the last several months of work.

Fender test fit to check stance & tire clearance, the body needs to come down some yet.

Four point installed, door bars and harness bar won't go in until I get seats picked out.

22 gallon fuel cell test fit. It has remote fill, safety foam and a collector with check valves on the pickup. Figured it was the smart thing to do since there really isn't a rear bumper to speak of on a Monroe Handler because of the rear roll pan.

Block, heads and rotating assembly are at the shop for machine work and balancing.

Now that I have the roll bar far enough along, I can add the crossmember that the front of the rear suspension centerlink will attach to. The tube looks a little small but will be attached to the tunnel and the roll bar hoop uprights with some additional bracing if I feel it is required.

More later!

This is such a great build I remember wanting one of these whan I was a kid. Your skills are amazing.....

Thanks! I wish my welding skills were better.

All links in finally.

Lots of work to do yet, not even close to done.

Cool build and Keep up the great work
      64 Mercury Comet
      408w boosted
      More boost on the way!

Excellent work. I like Mustang II's for some reason. They have real potential.

Your design/fab work is great, your CAD skills are unbelievable...

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Can I ask how far forward of the original spring perches you mounted the lower arms? How much longer are the lower arms than the spring eye-axle length?
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com