Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Unlimited/limited class?

Are all of the RTT_ events using the unlimited and limited class rule? I remember reading a thread somewhere on the new rules but I cannot find it on here or info on AmericanStreetcarSeries.com.

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Are all of the RTT_ events using the unlimited and limited class rule? I remember reading a thread somewhere on the new rules but I cannot find it on here or info on AmericanStreetcarSeries.com.
      I believe so Chris, the only difference would be the Limited class would have something to slow down the Road coarse (Cones on the main straight... limiting speed...etc) and the Unlimited class would have no cones or limiting speeds... but you would have to wear a fire rated jacket, gloves and shoes. The unlimted/limited class only applies to the road coarse part of the event. I picked up a jacket, gloves and shoes since I believe 99% of the people showing up will run unlimited... Plus, just like last year, you run at your own pace anyway.

Here is a nice package deal that meets the requirements of RTTS and other events:
      http://twistmachine.com/shopping/ind...products_id=64

Hope everything is going well with the vette... shoot me a pm, I'd love to stop by your shop before RTTS if you need a hand....either way, see you in a few weeks!

-Sean

I thought road racing was supposed to be a cheap sport? I guess its not a bad idea to set apart some more of the budget for safety stuff...

I was going to PM you the other day but your inbox is full. Definitely come down if you have a weekend free... We could go for a nice shakedown cruise or something with the weather like it is. Im going to have to test my new oil pan on some twisties before I hit the track too
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Country Flag: Canada
      racing ........... cheap sport?
      Words that should never be in the same sentence. :P

I emailed Brian Finch about this, and here are a couple of excerpts from his reply. Exactly what they decide to do at RTTS/NJMP may not have been decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by quoted in part from Brian Finch email
      We will base the decision to split the classes based on several things but primarily will be for safety. If we feel the track has portions or areas that become dangerous at high speed we will want to slow the cars down that do not have the required safety equipment.

We will put some sort of Turn or Chicane in the faster portions of the track to try and limit speeds in the dangerous turns to around 100 MPH so you will still get to run all out but will just be on a modified course.
      Incidentally, I think you'll still get some of your laps timed even if you're running in the 'Limited' class . . . which is where I'll be.

Norm
      '08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (the occasional track toy)
      '19 WRX, Turbo-H4/6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
      Gone but not forgotten dep't:
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

I thought road racing was supposed to be a cheap sport? I guess its not a bad idea to set apart some more of the budget for safety stuff...

I was going to PM you the other day but your inbox is full. Definitely come down if you have a weekend free... We could go for a nice shakedown cruise or something with the weather like it is. Im going to have to test my new oil pan on some twisties before I hit the track too
      I cleared my inbox for you Chris.. let me know if you need any help before RTTS....

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
      I emailed Brian Finch about this, and here are a couple of excerpts from his reply. Exactly what they decide to do at RTTS/NJMP may not have been decided yet.

Incidentally, I think you'll still get some of your laps timed even if you're running in the 'Limited' class . . . which is where I'll be.

Norm

I purchased all of the safety equipment, but may run the "limited" class if enough people decide to run in that class too... based on my limited experience on a roadcoarse, the amount of seat time in my car, the fact that I have two more gears than last year (6 speed... and can actually get the car to some high speeds).. and the biggest reason of being unable to find track insurance for the day.. it may be a better option, but i'm sure it will be just as much fun!.... I guess I'll see what works best the day of. I know last year I felt no pressure to run at my pace... even when I was placed with a pretty fast group.

either way, can't wait to see everybody out there!

-Sean

I am going to run in the limited class...what is going to be the requirements for a helmet? Same as last year or? I have a helmet from my Street bike that is one year old will that suffice?

I hope the event was the same as last year, i thought it was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by cpstang24 View Post
      I am going to run in the limited class...what is going to be the requirements for a helmet? Same as last year or? I have a helmet from my Street bike that is one year old will that suffice?

I hope the event was the same as last year, i thought it was perfect.
      Same as last year, you'll need atleast a SA2005 helmet.... no "M" rated helmets are allowed, which your motorcycle helmet probably is.... I know there are some really good deals on SA2005 helmets now on various sites, I think i ordered mine from Speedway and it was under $200.

Hope this helps..see you there!

-Sean

Just because i do not know too much about the helmets, that does help, but will a SA2005 be good for next year? or out of date? Not looking to spend 1-300 bucks on something i wont be able to use at future events. Thanks-Christian

I cannot comment on the other events, but RTTC3 required no safety gear other than helmet for any course for any person. Many even wore shorts on the road course. I had all my stuff ready to go so in case, but it must have been a game time decision for them. And road course was the same for all participants here.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

New helmet standards come out every 5 years, so the next one is due out in 2015. So if your sanctioning body/track/event allows a SA2005 this year (and they don't change their mind in the meantime) you should be good for at least a couple more years. There's at least one activity that requires having only the current spec helmet, while others (such as SCCA Solo) have typically allowed the current and up to the two immediately preceding specs.

When you can find SA2010 helmets for only a little more than 2005 close-outs, you might as well get the better helmet that will also be good longer out into the future.

Norm
      '01 Maxima 20AE 5M, '10 LGT 6M, '95 626, V6/5M; '79 Malibu, V8/4M-5M; '87 Maxima, V6/5M; '72 Pinto, I4/4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A

unlimited class FTW!!!
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Ok, good to know about the helmet standards, so i guess unless i can rob a 2005, ill just grab a 2010.

As time get shorter . . . exactly what constitutes a
      "16. Fire Extinguisher 2.5lb or more"
      I can find several extinguishers UL-rated 1-A:10-B:C or 10-B:C locally, but nothing that specifically mentions a weight other than a gross weight with a ±tolerance. Store personnel don't know either.

Are either or both of the above specs adequate/appropriate?

I can't yet post to the ASCS forum or I'd be asking this over there as well.

Norm

This is what your looking for, 2 1/2 lbs is the size of it
      http://www.rdmoffroad.com/Model-MX25...isher-Red.aspx
      Dannie
      2013 Chevy Camaro SS/RS/1LE, Forgeline Wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Pedders Subframe Bushings, Ride Tech triple adjustable coilovers, Strong Arms and SwayBar.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com