Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

oil cooler hose location

I am in the middle of installing my oil cooler on my SBC in my 1967 Camaro. I am running a filter adapter with (summit Twist Tite brand rated for engine oil) 12an lines going to the oil cooler. My question is my oil cooler lines come real close to the header. I have my headers wrapped and I am running a DEI heat sleeve rated to 500 degrees F continuous. If i have minor contact with the oil line (insulated with DEI) with the header (wrapped) is that ok? I can't be the only one that ran into this?

Thanks Nick

Nick, I don't have any pictures here at work, but I was able to snake the oil cooler lines from where the oil filter mount is to the remote filter at the front of the engine (fabricated a bracket) and then to the oil cooler mounted behind the driver side headlights on my Chevelle. I too used the DEI silicone/fiberglass sleeve over the oil line that came close to the ceramic coated header. The other oil line is closer to the engine so I didn't put a sleeve on that one. So far every thing seems to work just fine.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Thanks Herb, between the straight fitting and 45° I can hug the block and angle the other line away from the header. Once i get the lines on and the header on there is no servicing the lines unless the header is unbolted and pushed aside...I have NO room down there. My headman hustlers come real close to the engine block which just maybe the way they are designed.

Nick

I'll try to dig up some pictures tonight when I get home.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Yelcamino View Post
      I'll try to dig up some pictures tonight when I get home.
      No luck. I thought I had some pics of how I routed the hoses, but I don't have any! Sorry.
      Herb

1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Hey Nick,

I initially had minor header/hose contact as well...maybe 1/4" of contact. So far, so good, even on track days with 20 minute sessions. I double wrapped the header in that location. The headers are ceramic coated, I think that keeps the heat transfer down. Since then, I used zip-ties from the starter to pull the hose away from the header in that location...maybe that will work for you too.

The other option to consider is to run a remote oil filter setup so the adapter has the hoses running vertically down from the block. That seems to be the real solution.
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

I had a similar issue and am actually using 1/2" steel pipe from the block to just past the contact point on the header. My headers are ceramic coated and I have a DEI liner over the rest of the hose just for extra insurance but didn't trust the DEI to handle an accidental contact with the header. I actually have the block tapped for 1/2" NPT so this might not be a solution for you but doesn't hurt to have another idea...
      81 Regal, impersonating a Grand National with a 488 Olds
      Build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ith-a-488-Olds

With your headers wrapped and a DEI sleeve over your AN line I think you will be just fine. Just keep an eye on it for a few weeks to make sure nothing is obviously wearing down.

Here's my remote filter setup w/ 10AN lines.

1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Thanks guys...Last night after clocking the adapter and mocking up the lines and header I found the sweet spot. There is actualyl no contact and have about 1/2" - 3/4" clearance at the tightest spot. I ended up using a straight fitting and 45° to point away from the trouble area. Servicing them may be hard but i hope to not have to fuss with them.

Flash how did you route it around the radiator support? Thanks for the pictures.

I'll post mine tonight / tomorrow

how many days till RTTS?

You can't tell really well here but one hose goes around the end of the support in the pocket between the drivers fender and the headlight, and the other hose goes underneath and back toward the motor.

1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Ok...nice didn't think of going that way...Thanks for the picture.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com