Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Why are all differential housings built similar to this?

Name:  IMG_1647_resize.JPG
Views: 4020
Size:  123.6 KB

If there is a pinion offset it is rather minimal. I know that strength is needed on all sides of the case, and bearing support is also needed. My major question is could the ring gear be flipped 180 degrees about the axle centerline, and the pinion moved over while retaining the same differential? I am trying to get enough of an offset to clear my engine block that I am still building on pro engineer. I know most of you buy the parts then build finding problems as they come, but with my limited time at home I can't do that.

I think the differential would have a different torque applied to it by the new pinion location. The one side bearing could be moved a little farther out; I am contemplating my options. I haven't been working on my model for a week or so because of tests at school.

Not all are this way. There are some anomolies out there. Which direction are you trying to offset in order to clear your engine? Is this diff for an independent suspension? Front or rear?

If we're talking solid axle, then just offset the differential to whatever side you need the clearance on. Just like the front solid axle on a 4x4. I suspect there is more to it than that.

Here's the first thing that came to mind, but it's offset in the vertical direction.
      Adam Moyer
      '69 Cutlass "S"

Yeah I am trying to miss the front engine, and I know there are options out there. It will be an independent front axle. I suppose one other option I could do it build similar to a quick-change differential having the gears offset the shaft that turns the pinion gear from the driveshaft.

I am trying to move the pinion to the driver's side more as I have a driver's drop transfer case.

Can you use a reverse rotation ford 9 high pinion. http://www.truehi9.com/megahi9.html

http://www.truehi9.com/cases2.html Then you would have to fab the tubes to use the correct cv axles.

Country Flag: Canada
      Have you looked at the front differential in newer GM trucks? The packaging is reasonably compact.

Ken

If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

So I have been playing with the idea of changing the location of the ring gear mount flange on a limited slip housing. The 8.8" IRS diff out of a cobra was ether inspiration for this as I will keep the the same pinion and ring orientation. This moving of the mount flange allows me to offset the pinion

Would this be possible if the added stress was accounted for?

As for the new GM front ends I am trying to fiber components with good aftermarket support.

If you keep the driveshaft spinning the same direction but have the ring gear on the other side of the pinion, your front tires will spin backwards. Sorry man but if you want front drive, you have to have the ring gear on the right side of the pinion unless you can change the rotation of the transfer case. Is there a chance of you swapping to a passenger side case? As you know, that is what I am doing. Every transfer case I know of either has a chain drive or a set of 3 gears inside, they all keep the rotation the same as the driveshaft
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com