Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need everyone's opinion PLEASE

allright, as alot of you guys know i recently got a new job at a performance shop. as it stands right now, im the parts manager and as the days wear on my superiors are looking to me more and more for input on how to either attract new customers or to keep the ones we have coming back for more. here's my question, when you walk in to a performance shop what do you want to see there? besides someone behind the counter who isn't an arrogant a$$hole, because that definetly is not me. i mean parts wise. what are the things you want to be able to walk in with cash in hand and say give me that and walk out feeling like you accomplished something. from personal experience there is no worse a feeling than the one you get after being told, "i dont have that i have to order it." so gimme some input. thanks in advance -jon

Tough guys may wear pink, but Bad Asses still wear black.

Actually the stuff that looks cool is nice, but most people buy from the internet or mail order because of cost. The things I appreciate is the little stuff that saves your ass like gaskets, bolts, etc. Nothing worse than having to wait a couple days for something little.

pulleys

I would have to say serpentine pulley systems, and valve covers and dress up items. Thats some of the stuff I had trouble finding at the local speed shop. I found my heads,pistons,crank,rods cam and all that good stuff. But Id like to see more accesories.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
      Actually the stuff that looks cool is nice, but most people buy from the internet or mail order because of cost. The things I appreciate is the little stuff that saves your ass like gaskets, bolts, etc. Nothing worse than having to wait a couple days for something little.
      .....A/N fittings, fluid lines (braided, aluminum, steel), replacement fuel filter elements for any filter that you stock, synthetic performance oils and filters........... Like LS1 Nova said, the little stuff that saves your ass.
      Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Country Flag: United States
      I agree with the above. Usually guys don't run to the speed shop in need of a cylinder head for their 350 chevy, in a big rush, becasue they forgot to buy one, lol. They forgot to buy the gasket, or it broke, or something like that. The biggest things are the small miscellaneous parts. All sorts of AN fittings, brake lines, fuel lines, all clamps, hoses, gaskets, a lot of hard to find stuff, on top of all the normal associated speed shop goodies. Most guys won't mind waiting a few days for the big stuff to come in, but if someone needs something little and they're in a rush, it's always good to be able to run to the speed shop, and have it with no hassles. For example, I wanted to put a K&N oil filter on my '01 SS, I drove around for about 2 hours to various pep boys and auto-zones before I finally found one that had the one I needed in stock. Mind you it was an oil filter, but the same thing applies to various other little parts that the afternoon cam swapper might need and doesn't want to waste 2 hours driving around looking for.

Edit: looks like Ken posted as I was typing, and said basically what i was trying to say.

Like everyone else said, but in my own words, "All the nickel and dime crap that you always forget to order"
      The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

I too agree with the above and recently I started buying more locally, since the one and only speed shop in town matches Jeg's/Summit prices. Also if they are out of something usually they can have if the next day. So basically what I am saying is if you do match internet prices, or at least willing to reduce your price, let the customer know. I personally don't mind paying sales tax and returns are much easier and cheaper.

Hoo man are you in for it... I spent 7 years working in Speed Shops - just gave it up about 6 months ago.

Here are the ugly truths you are going to encounter:
      A lot of people aren't gonna like these. But keep in mind, your first job is to keep the speed shop in the black and yourself employed.

1) You can give the best customer service on earth, if people can save $5 the vast majority WILL go to the competition (read the catalogs). There isn't really a great way around this. My best advice, do not give your tech advise away for free. No cams specs, no valvespring specs, and ABSOLUTELY no parts numbers until you see the money.
      The majority of people will not hesitate to use your part numbers to place a $5000 order with Summit or Jegs after wasting 2 hours of your time in the store. Your knowledge is what people are paying for... remember that.

2) You will never have everything that everyone wants all of the time. My advice, keep the boring stuff in mass. AN fittings (you can never have enough -6 to 3/8 fittings or -6 braided line) gaskets of all sorts, espically Intake, Exhaust, Valvecovers, head gaskets.
      Choose a few basic camshafts you want to keep around. Most of what you will sell will be fairly low duration hyd flat tappets.

3) Loss leaders... they are a fact of life, just accept that some items you will not make money on. This includes MSD anything (espically 6A boxes), and most Edelbrock products. The mail order houses basically give the stuff away to get people in the door. They are the good products, so you need to keep them in stock.

4) 6 words you need to memorize NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT ON SPECIAL ORDERS get enough to at least cover your costs every time try to get the amount in full. People will order speciality stuff and WILL back out on you. Cover your costs because most of this stuf will end up sitting on your shelves until the end of time. This applies espically to valvetrain stuff like custom pushrods, retainers ect... Obviously there are exceptions to every rule (like extreme backorders) but make them exceptions, not common practice.

5) Your suppliers will screw you over, its a fact of life. I cannot count how many times I have been promised an ETA and it has passed, and passed, and passed (Granitelli I am looking in your direction - with your freakin Twin Turbo kit for the C5... but I digress). The best thing you can do; be honest with your customers. Never promise any special order in less than 5 working days; its just how long it takes...

6) Find one person at whatever supplier you are dealing with and deal with THAT person all the time. Make sure its the right person, there are bad apples in every barrel.

7) If a customer makes a mistake ordering that is THEIR mistake. If you can help you should, but THEIR mistake should not cost YOUR company money. I am not saying that you should turn a deaf ear to people's problems, but you have to look out for #1.
      If the supplier will take the part back, than you should minus your cost of shipping. If the supplier charges a restock fee, you should. Cover your costs.

8) Another phrase you should memorize No returns after 30 days, no returns without reciept, no returns on chemicals, no returns on special orders You will be shocked how many people will try to return 6 month old gaskets, or two year old oil. You will be offended how many people try to do the "mailorder switch" (buy a part from you today and use it, order the same part from Jegs for $5 cheaper and try to return Jegs' part to you 2 weeks later when it shows up). It is not your job to hold people's money while they shop for a better deal, or to act as a parts library.

9) NEVER EVER take a credit card with someone other than the person who is standing in front of you's name on it. I don't care if it is a son or daughter, father, brother, mother. The person signing the reciept is the person who's name is on the card.

10) The final phrase you need to know NO PERSONAL CHECKS. In one month I had $28,000 in bad checks at Speed Merchant. Its not worth the risk.

There is some good basic knowledge I can impart
      1971 Camaro, 383 stroker ~500HP,M21 Trans with lightened flywheel. All Sorts of Auto-x Goodness in the Suspension. 12" Brakes ->SOLD

But ask me about my 2004 STi Auto-x car...

Just call me Brett

I'll chime in here too, definately small stuff. Don't forget all kinds of sealants and ahesives either. You might also think about carrying some specialty tools, like valve spring compressors and similar stuff that Sears doesn't carry. For some of that stuff, you might even consider tool rental.
      James
      -1969 Camaro Sport Coupe
      -1996 Z28
      -2005 Silverado
      Webpage

One thing people appreciate is when you make the effort to help solve their problem.The guy behind the counter is not waiting for a part number, hes listening to what you are trying to do and offering you the solutions, what parts work.

On another note I went to the auto parts store to pick up a mat for my van.I had already ordered and paid for it but the tool behind the counter tells me "they dont make anything for that van" and goes back to playing with his phone.Thankfully the guy who is actually helpful came over and found my mat.

It sounds to me as if Lowend speaks from experiance. Much wisdom in what he shared. I would say his post should be printed and posted at your shop. No matter what business you are running, the customer is not always right. In this day and time, people want everything right now, and as cheap as possible. You will not be able to compete with the warehouse mail order houses and stay in business, so don't try. Always remember this PROFIT is not a bad word. Have all the little things in stock and ready to go. Then sell it for a fair profit and build that customer relationship that pays off in the long run by his repeat business. I bet that within two months, you will know who your good, regular customers are, and who is just blowing smoke. Soon enough you will master the art of blowing the b.s.ers off politely-LOL
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

I like the idea of the specialty tools and rental. How many times have you needed a tool that you would only use once or maybe twice, but cannot justify the cost of a $200 tool! LOTS of AN stuff, the normal chromie crap for the hot rod newbies, LOTS of pipe and hard line fittings (for fuel, oil etc), RACE GAS!!!, fill NOS bottles!!, Lokar makes some nice brackets and stuff for swaps and such, a few generic cams, a few generic Holley and Edlebrock carbs and intakes, engine and misc dress up bolts and bolt kits, POR 15 or something similar, simulator software, G-Tech or similar, a few GOOD fuel pumps and water pumps, mabye a couple TH350 stall converters, underdrive pulley kits, even a few generic (no brackets) Griffin radiators, a couple decent electric fans, tranny coolers, a few mini starters and something that brings alot of cheapskates (like me!) in, a consignment section for used crap!
      Sounds like a heck of a speed shop to me!!!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Jon, I might come up and have a look at the place ther a re a few item I'm looking for, good to hear another local speed shop, Steve

Oh Yea!! Low end speaks from tons of experiance, my Dad owned a autorepair shop since I was 8 til 26yold, My friends have shops in the other county, I can tell stories, bu tlisten to th eexperience, Steve
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Having been around the biz since I was a kid, I'd say Lowend hit the nail on the head. I think having a reasonably price on all the small hard parts will go a long way. As an example- the local Aeroquip / Goodrich guy is a small shop in a complex, but I'd say he gets 85% of the local business (there is always someone there getting something / service, and usually one or two behind them). All he does is plumbing & fuel pumps / filters.

One item that has caught on with some of the younger guys has been the 'package deal'. They are used to getting it elsewhere (wheels & tires, computers, food,etc), so come up with package deals to:
      1. make a profit
      2. save your customers a few $$
      3. Save them (and you) the trouble of pieceing together something- like a nitrous setup, an intercooler package (piping, BOV, Icooler, etc). Suspension stuff tends to sell better that way, too.

The only other advice I'd give is to get out & know your customers- what they run, what classes are most popular in your area, and where they do this at. Do you guys advertise at the various tracks around you? Do you have a presence at them besides a 4x8' poster?

See where I'm going with this? You can't be the counter 'prima-donna' (not that you are); you have to get out there & put in that extra 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenova
      .....A/N fittings, fluid lines (braided, aluminum, steel), replacement fuel filter elements for any filter that you stock, synthetic performance oils and filters........... Like LS1 Nova said, the little stuff that saves your ass.
      Ken
      I'll second that !!

As someone may have mentioned, if you keep the high performance fluids, gaskets, nuts, bolts, studs, filters, etc, that people need regularly, you will build that relationship that leads to the larger sales. Filling nitrous bottles, selling race gas and other "niche" speed items may help show you as a "real" speed shop and not just another auto parts store. Build a relationship with a machine shop to have someone you can recommend.

Line item sales (gaskets, hardware, etc) are certainly important since few people price shop them. You can make more profit that way, but they rarely pay the rent. So you have to do more in the internet age:

1) Niche items: By getting involved with local area events, you will learn which hard to find niche items are being bought and installed. If you see someone at a local show standing next to their car ask them: "Which parts did you have a hard time finding or acquiring?" When you start to see a concensus: Stock those parts!! And remember that sometimes you have to create the local trends--not simply dismiss possible trends that are not popular locally. If Pro-Touring is not big yet, make it big by gambling on Detroit Speed, ATS, Touring Classics, Hydratech, Marquez Design, etc. The world is full of brand names that Summit does not carry. Do the homework. Did I mention Twist Machine? Home of the world's first manumatic paddle shifter for hot rods? You could be one of our very first dealers! Good profit! Low buy-in and ZERO competition! Jeg's has a guy who scours magazines looking for hot new items. Your shop should have one too.

2) Along the same lines as #1: Cherry pick existing brand name manufacturers like Moroso for niche parts that aren't available through the big mail order houses. Put the Moroso catalog on the desk next to the Summit catalog. Browse thru the Moroso catalog and if you see something of interest, check the Summit catalog. If it's not there, order one from your warehouse and put it on display. No response? Send it back to the warehouse. The parts are out there, but you have to take the time to look and test your market. Wasn't til a couple of years ago that Summit had any "cool" wheels in their catalog. A CE shock crossmember for a drag car may work well on a PT car. Do the homework and get creative.

3) Loss leaders are an unfortunate but important part of doing business these days. Sell that intake manifold for $1.00 over cost. But the strategy only works if you DO NOT let the customer leave the store without 40% margin gaskets bolts, engine paint, sealant, a chrome thermostat housing, and one of those nudie air fresheners. All that the customer will remember is how cheap that intake manifold is. And they'll tell their friends.

4) Build cars: It may be cheaper and easier to extend a courtesy discount to local area car builders rather than tie up shop and labor money. But get involved with car construction. In exchange for that discount, ask to borrow their latest car for a day or two. Put it on display in or in front of your shop, and toot your horn and theirs. Promote both businesses. "....Yeah, we supplied the parts for that car."

5) Clean the place up: If the showroom and aisles are jammed up and cluttered with dusty parts -- have a sale!)

6) Don't whine: Customers hate it when you whine about Summit. The customer does not owe you their business--you have to earn it.

Nowadays I walk into speed shops and I see shell-shocked sour-pusses. And that's IF I can see the employees at all. I walk down the aisles sideways or lean over parts piled up in front of the counter to hand over my money because there's crap everywhere. Learn about inventory turns ratios (as important as margin) and have a sale.

If you see a trend to my recommendations, it is that speed shops aren't exciting anymore. Parts are only part of the equation. Make it an exciting place! In my day, (B&R Performance Bayside, NY) new products were introduced all the time, cool cars were always hanging around out front on "Franny Lou" (Francis Lewis Blvd). And on Friday morning? Man! Rodders were frantic to hand over their entire paychecks so they'd have something new and trick on their cars for Friday or Saturday night. I'd spend a 1/2 hour in the store getting advice/rounding up parts and then another half hour out front checking out the cool cars and "loitering". The employees always parked their hot rods out front. I sometimes had to walk a half a block but it didn't matter 'cause the cars were cool! The speed shop was a lifestyle destination--not a store.

Line item sales, paddle sh...Uhh...I mean niche items, loss leaders (coupled with good salesmanship to push line items), exciting cars and a happy, organized, clean shop.

area rodder support

put on a car show once and awhile,visibly support local car clubs(all styles),hang out at the track,freebies.

dont forget to have at least that one small oddball widgit or dammit that once someone knows you have one of those will be back to see if you might have a dohicky they need the next time.

doug

Nekked chicks. That will attract a crowd
      Brian

I have an unlimited budget. That bad part is I have already used it up.

thanks for all the input guys, and lowend most of what you said to do, is already in place. my boss is no fool as he's been in this game for quite some time. part of the cool thing about this job is i take care of ALOT of OLD street rodders who still believe in the local speed shop and couldnt care less about who jegs or summit is. as far as what to keep in the store, i know what i want to see, but i wanted some other input as well, not all of us want the same crap. im taking all of what yous guys say in and definetly going over it with my boss. thank you all for your input and support. -jon
      Tough guys may wear pink, but Bad Asses still wear black.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com