Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

T56 Magnum leaking from shifter - HELP

I bought the T56 Magnum conversion from American Powertrain. That was not the smoothest install I ever did to say the least, I won't go into details.

Anyways, I finally got it down on the tires and took it out for a spin to find out that I had a good red fluid leak. I drove it home right away and found out where it was coming from - the top. I pulled off the shifter dust boot and found a pool of fluid in there, you can tell this was the source of the leak.

What is this all about? I can't see this being normal and what does it take to get this to stop leaking. I added the proper amount of ATF for the break-in. Would there be something related to the vent hose? Last time I checked, it was not pinched.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Mark

Country Flag: United States
      Some of the aftermarket shifters will leak from the top ball joint area attached to shift lever. Most likely from a poor design and/or to stiff of shifter springs which help bind the ball joint area and let fluid out. The better designed ones, including the factory ones, have a rubber seal around the ball joint area. You can check the fluid level at the fill hole to make sure you didn't over fill with to much fluid, at this time also spray compressed air into the case and it should blow out the top vent tube. This will verify that you don't have a kink in the vent line. Try putting the old tremec shifter back on if it came with it.

I filled it until the fluid came out of the fill hole. It only came with the shifter which is currently installed. I will try the compressed air trick to test the vent tube.

Thanks

I finally found out what the issue is. There is a boot/seal on the underside of the shifter plate. Whoever installed this must not have lubed the shifter ball and shaft causing it to tear in a couple areas. All this is under the dust boot which you can see after you absorb all the fluid. I have pictures of this I will try to post.
      I found this after the install is complete and now I will need to remove all components again in order to lower the trans enough to remove the shifter plate. Josh at American Powertrain actually showed me a picture of the underside boot.

This is after the fluid wend down a bit after it cooled down.

After I soaked up the fluid.

You can see the tears in the following pictures

Here is what Josh sent me. This is what it is supposed to look like. Even though this picture is of the underside, you get the idea.

wtf termec! Found exact same issue with my seal... Fortunately I just took the shifter off prior to install so I can map out the hole in the tunnel ... Not happy.... I got the trams from summit wondering the best way to get this fixed....
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

Anyone know the part number or technical name for this boot? Mine is torn too and leaking
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Country Flag: UK
      I cut a hole on the top of my trans tunnel and made a removerable inspection cover so I could put my white lightning shifter in . so much easer than having to lower transmission

I don't think you can buy the boot. Tremec has warrantied the shifters in the past and still may.....even then, it will fail again. It's a poor design.

This doesn't have a "seal" to fail. It is an OEM design adapted to the T56 Magnum.
      Name:  i-5w7qJck-XL.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  85.3 KB
      Name:  i-H2xDHk9-XL.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  68.5 KB
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

We do sell replacement inner boots for the Tremec shifters. The AP part# is SHAP-20105 and can be ordered through our sales line at 931.646.4836.
      Support
      American Powertrain
      Modern drive train technology for muscle cars
      Get your Shift Together
      americanpowertrain.com
      America's #1 TREMEC Dealer

Is it the same craptastic material that come on the OE Magnum shifter?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I have not experienced any leaks with my factory Tremec shifter but I hate the shifter's performance. It is far too easy to miss shifts. On the road course I have to be very deliberate with each shift to avoid engaging the wrong gear. I have been waiting for about three years now for the release of the new S1 Sequential shifter for the T56 Magnum and they are finally getting close to being able to be ordered. Problem is that at $2650 AUD this is a very pricey shifter by any measure.

http://www.s1sequential.com/product/...-t56-magnum-2/
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Well I'm at the point where i'm removing my aftermarket shifter and putting the Tremec shifter back on. Couldn't get it to stop leaking so i'll try the Tremec for the time being. Sad part is I have to create an access panel to which I didn't think I would have to address with engine and tranny installed. I like the idea of the sequential shifter if it doesn't leak put the price has to come down before I consider that jump. I'm assuming because i'm using the forward location (directly above the gear) its causing the bigger propensity of it leaking. if anyone finds and aftermarket shifter that doesn't leak in that location pls let us know. it will be one of my goals at SEMA this year is to find something that works.

I have American Power Train White Lightning shifter and it leaked all over my new interior carpet. I bought the trans from American Powertrain in 2012 and have less than a 1000 miles on the car. They sent me a replacement seal that is totally different than what is in the shifter with zero instructions and their tech support is useless and never answers. Worst decision I ever made to go with their kit on my car. I just love sitting on the phone for 40 minutes for no one to ever answer me. I know they see my number and who it is.

Update is so sad so sorry, we don't make that shifter that way anymore so we can sell you a new shifter at 30% off, but you will need to tear out your trans to replace it. Gotta love this industry, on support on its products, non-existent. Has anyone come up with fix wit out the OE.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com