Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Country Flag: United States

The new rules 2012

Goodguys AutoCross Rules 2012
      1. The classes for 2012 will be as follows: Pro-Class, Street Machine, Street Rod, Truck and Super Sunday Late Models.
      2. All classes will have the following rules:
      3. DOT tires and tread wear will be limited to 200 minimum. Any tread wear below that will be exhibition only and times will not be recorded or promoted.
      4. Must have all lug nuts on each wheel and must remove hub caps during runs.
      5. batteries must be secure by mechanical fastener.
      6. Overflow on the radiator is mandatory.
      7. Brake pedal must have good resistance and not go to the floor.
      8. Steering column must be tight and secure.
      9. Seat belts must be a minimum of a lap belt and secured to the body, bar, seat anchor bolt or frame. Any passenger riding must also have a seatbelt.
      10. Gas cap or over flow must not leak on the track.
      11. All entries will have all body panels of such vehicle. (Fenders, doors, hood, deck lid and bed sides on trucks)
      12. Must have front and rear glass or plastic and side windows must be rolled down during run times.
      13. Throttle must have a return spring.
      14. After any situation vehicle may have to be re-inspected at the desertion of track official.
      15. All entries must be registered with Goodguys at the event and must be street licensed, insured and no race cars.
      16. The registered name on the vehicle window sticker will be the only driver that times can be counted or displayed. If you have two drivers you must have two window stickers with the different driver names. If someone else drives the car that is not listed times will not count.
      17. All entries must run a Goodguys AutoCross decal to run on the track, you will get this after the vehicle is teched.
      18. You must be present at the end of your class competition if you are the winner of the class for pictures and the awards. If you are not you will not receive the prizes and the runner up will become the new winner. Must go through awards on Sunday.
      19. All passengers must be 18 years or older unless riding with parents and then they must be 16 or older.
      20. Driver must have a state issued license and proof of insurance.
      21. All loose items must be removed from the vehicle.
      22. Helmets are not required; the course will be designed to keep speeds below 35MPH.
      23. All decisions made by race official will be enforced and are final.
      24. No unsafe driving will be tolerated.
      25. Cone penalty is 1 second off your time.
      Tech will open about one hour before racing starts. Please stay with your car until it has made it through tech and you have your decal. Pit space is limited and will be first come first served. If stalls become open during the day we will fill with cars from the waiting area. You will have until 9am on two days of competition to go back to your same pit stall if you do not your space will be given away.

PRO-Class:
      • Sponsors of the AutoCross are automatically put into the PRO-Class. The Street Machine, Street Rod and Truck class winners after each event will be in the PRO-Class for the remainder of that season.
      • Sponsor cars must be house cars only, or owned by a full time employee of the sponsor.
      • Drivers of the PRO-Class must be full time employees of the sponsoring company or the driver that was in the vehicle that won its class to move up.
      • PRO-Class will run at the top of every hour at the discretion of the track officials.
      • PRO-Class will be running for an award and the chance to be in a feature in the Goodguys Gazette at seasons end.
      • There will be an official PRO-Class decal for your window once you qualify for that class.
      • PRO-Class vehicles must be 1972 or older ONLY.
      Street Machine Class:
      • All vehicles must be 1955 to 1972 production style cars, kit cars representing a production car are allowed.
      • Goodguys Get-Togethers at Pleasanton will be 1955 and newer production style cars in this class.
      Street Rod Class:
      • All vehicles must be 1955 or older cars, no trucks, deliveries or panels allowed in this class.
      • High-Boys and Roadsters are not required to run fenders.
      Truck Class:
      • Must be 1972 or older at the National events and all year trucks at the Pleasanton Get-Togethers.
      • Any vehicle with a Bed, Panel trucks, Deliveries, El Caminos and Rancheros will be in this class.
      Super Sunday Late Models:
      • All 1973 and newer cars and trucks will be in this class and can only run on Sundays at the Nationals events.
      • Tread wear should be production equipped rate or 200 minimum.

Goodguys Sponsor Shootout:
      The Columbus Sponsor Shootout will be limited to 1972 and older vehicles only.
      Rules on the Shootout will be sent to the sponsors of the AutoCross before Columbus. Each sponsor will get one entry into the Shootout and a chance at the $5000.00.
      -----
      Pretty Lame.....Will all the showcars only get one trophy this year? "I'm sorry Sir you already won a trophy and it just wouldn't be fair if you got another one." I would REALLY like someone to explain the thinking behind this.

Donny

Dont fully understand "PRO-Class will run at the top of every hour at the discretion of the track officials"

So at the start of the day Pro class run(which is 9 am) then at 10am they run again, at 11am they run again, and so on?
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

I would also like clarification on some things. I think some of these questions others might like answers to as well.

• Sponsors of the AutoCross are automatically put into the PRO-Class. The Street Machine, Street Rod and Truck class winners after each event will be in the PRO-Class for the remainder of that season.
      So only sponsors will run pro class? So then companies like Hotchkis, Heidts, Gateway, Spectre, etc would run street machine, street rod, or truck until they got the one win they are allowed before they are deemed a pro? Did Rob McGaffin just get bumped into Pro class with PHR Project Olds? Sorry Rob.

Does the vehicle or the driver get moved to Pro class? Potentially, I could end up in Pro and my lovely wife Angela would still be in street rod until she obliterates the street rod class. Maybe I will drive a certain Chevelle and put a tall guy in the roadster after we meet our win quotas.

• Sponsor cars must be house cars only, or owned by a full time employee of the sponsor.
      So an official autocross sponsor may not drive a customer's car in pro class, are they legal in a regular class then? Does a sticker kit make the vehicle a "house car"?

• PRO-Class will run at the top of every hour at the discretion of the track officials.
      Like Dan, I am curious about this as well. Pro class to start each session I get but top of every hour? I would imagine there would be events where non pro cars only run a 1/2 hour at a time. Hell if enough previous winners show up non pro's may not run hardly at all.

• PRO-Class vehicles must be 1972 or older ONLY.
      I guess Mary only gets to drive on Sunday's.

• Tread wear should be production equipped rate or 200 minimum.
      We're back to 200 then?

I am sure I sound like a whiner but I am pretty pissed about the one win and go to Pro class thing. In my eyes this is a pretty drastic change to what was a really a simple ruleset. To pull my car from street rod class or Rob McGregor's truck from truck class because of a win just doesn't make sense. Yeah, we both bring machetes to a knife fight but DSE and ridetech are shooting canons.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      I guess Mary only gets to drive on Sunday's.

We're back to 200 then?
      Mary is kind of double excluded from the rules, 1973 and its not owned by a full time employee of the sponsor, Hotchkis is a sponsor right?

Id bet the 200 treadwear is because Bridgestone dropped as a sponsor for some reason, so Good-Guys is trying to screw with their cars.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

My favorite:

14. After any situation vehicle may have to be re-inspected at the desertion of track official.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I think that means we have to bring Chad ice cream while he looks at our cars.

Donny, Im with you on a few things, not sure how much i want to post on how i feel on this. Some may say im just crying. But im thinking about the new guys/gals that are wanting to have fun.

I have a customer with a 59 Wagon, that want to do autox at GG's but he isnt about sitting all day and only getting 3 runs in.
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad94 View Post
      Donny, Im with you on a few things, not sure how much i want to post on how i feel on this. Some may say im just crying. But im thinking about the new guys/gals that are wanting to have fun.

I have a customer with a 59 Wagon, that want to do autox at GG's but he isnt about sitting all day and only getting 3 runs in.
      i'm agree....i hope the non pro cars get to run a fair share........i would think its all about the people bring out their cars and having fun...didnt see a problem way the old rules were....at goodguys charlotte i had somewhere around 16 runs that what made it fun....kept the adrenline flowing...
      1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS-Detroit Speed Equipped
      1966 Chevrolet C-10-Driver/Project truck

3. DOT tires and tread wear will be limited to 200 minimum. Any tread wear below that will be exhibition only and times will not be recorded or promoted.
      Well, so much for my $1,000 set of Kumhos

11. All entries will have all body panels of such vehicle. (Fenders, doors, hood, deck lid and bed sides on trucks)
      I guess someone complained about my fenderless truck! So can I even run for fun? And if I manage to fit some stock style fenders that are chopped down to the scale of my truck am I eligible to win or is my truck just flat out not eligible to compete let alone win?
      Tyler Gibson

There's nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines... That'll give you a set of emotions that will stay with you... Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent...

I emailed Ed my thoughts and I know he was receptive but he's not the only one involved with these rules. It's no big deal and I'm glad they made this announcement as its saving me a ton of $$$ this spring, summer, and fall.

There are a lot of other events that I can attend where this "one year newer even though the body didn't change" won't be an issue. Good Guys has had that 1972 model year firmly implanted for many years and it appears it's now cast in stone ...

It was fun ...

Mary P.
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Quote Originally Posted by mpozzi View Post
      I emailed Ed my thoughts and I know he was receptive but he's not the only one involved with these rules. It's no big deal and I'm glad they made this announcement as its saving me a ton of $$$ this spring, summer, and fall.

There are a lot of other events that I can attend where this "one year newer even though the body didn't change" won't be an issue. Good Guys has had that 1972 model year firmly implanted for many years and it appears it's now cast in stone ...

It was fun ...

Mary P.
      I was thinking the same thing. Plenty of other places to play where the rules don't change every year. I guess hotchkis isn't a GG sponsor, but they are running their own autocrosses at the NMCA events this year...
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Well this does not really affect guys like me....

I am a rookie and not sponsored.

But remember at the end of the weekend its all about fun. We can all come back on PT.com and post our best times and brag about the winner. I wouldnt run at GG delmar only for a prize.

walks in... doesnt care... walks out.

I will try to explain some of your questions.

The classes Street Machine, Street Rod and Truck will be running for the Gift certicicates and an Award at every event. The Pro-Class will be running for the Billet award and a chance to be the Pro-Class winner of the year and get a mini-feature in the Goodguys Gazette.

To start off the season the Pro-Class will have the ridetech cars, DSE cars, Roadster shop cars and the JetHot cars to name a few. As you win your class ( SM, SR and Truck) you will receive the certificates and then move up into the Pro-Class and get to run at the top of each hour. The other classes will run in order and break at the top of the hour to run the few sponsors and Pro-Class guys.

House cars are only when talking about the sponsor of the Pro-Class and not any other car. If Hotchkis has their Challenger at Del Mar they will run in the Street machine class, if they win they will then be moved into the Pro-Class so they only get one set of gift certificates and it give other PARTICIPANTS a chance to win the prizes and not just one guy all year or at multipal events.

As far as the Pro-Class running at the top of every hour if the class is to big the track guys can change that but we do not figure that the Pro-Class will be more that 10 guys at an event.

Goodguys events have been open to all vehicles 1972 and older for 20 plus years and vehicles 1973 and newer were aloud to be at the three Get-togethers only until NOW. Goodguys saw the need to open our events up to later model cars at all events but the Pleasanton event in August this will be on SUNDAY only and will include the AutoCross and Awards. 1972 and older for Friday and Saturday and Super Sunday is all years American made or powered.

There is nothing that changed about cars 1973 and newer coming to our events. This has always been the year cutoff at our events. We just now opened it up to let them come to all events on Sunday.

I hope this answers the questions that are coming up on this and that Goodguys did not change to NOT let the 1973 into the events for this year we are letting them in just on Sunday which we never did before.

The 200 treadwear was what all the other AutoCross events are running and that was where we started so we are just going back to that so tires are not the deciding factor on the cars if you were running other events and could not buy tires for an event of a lower treadwear.

Goodguys is hoping that we do two things with these new rules. One the AutoCross Pro-Class puts on a good show to draw more people to want to be part of it. Two it gives other participants the ability to win the prizes and not see the same guy win every time the Goodguys event comes to town. We hope that this will also give each participant a fair amount of runs so more people want to do it. We are always going to have to situation with growth of a part of the event so we need to make rules to continue to make this part of our event manageable.

We want as many as possible to come out, drive your car in the AutoCross and watch some cool fast guys get around the track. The Sponsor guys are more interested in demo's of their product then they are about prizes.

I hope you all continue to come out and have fun at the AutoCross as just getting together and playing with cars is what it is all about!!!

Goodguy Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Goodguy Ed View Post
      I hope you all continue to come out and have fun at the AutoCross as just getting together and playing with cars is what it is all about!!!
      I will and I agree.

As you win your class ( SM, SR and Truck) you will receive the certificates and then move up into the Pro-Class and get to run at the top of each hour.
      The car moves up or the driver moves up to pro class? More specifically, if I win an event and move to pro class is my wife still eligible in street rod with the same car?

.....it gives other participants the ability to win the prizes and not see the same guy win every time the Goodguys event comes to town.
      What's wrong with the same guy winning all the time if if they are the fastest car in a given class? The only guy that thinks this is cool is second place. I have been second place...hell I've been last place. You may have read my other post but I will reiterate, when I got sick of losing I did something about. I fixed my car. I bought parts from sponsors, DSE doesn't have a 32 Ford page but I made it work. I went through several sets of steering arms and pitman arms trying to get the quickest steering combination. I took a brand new axle out of the box and bent it with a 60 ton press to get some negative camber. *****, last winter I built a new chassis because I saw room for improvement. I wanted to win!! I even tried to learn to drive.....we're still working on that one. I earned the right to win continuously by working for it. I didn't do it for gift certificates or trophies. I'm driving the trophy. I worked at it for the same reason everyone else does....for the glory! Anyone that claims they do not like to be recognized for their effort is full of it.

That first place in class validates to everyone else what I already knew I accomplished. I am proud of the fact that the last six Goodguys shows I took the roadster to, I brought home the hardware six times. No one was even close. But now after my first win, the glory goes to the guy who just showed up and ran second fastest. You would have saved me a lot of time and money if you had changed this rule 2 years ago.

Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      I will and I agree.

The car moves up or the driver moves up to pro class? More specifically, if I win an event and move to pro class is my wife still eligible in street rod with the same car?

The Car with the driver that won the class will move up. Your wife can still run in the Street Rod Class with the second window sticker. One for you to be scored under the Pro-Class (Once you win) and one for her to be scored under the Street Rod Class until she wins, then your both in Pro-Class.

Also we want to award guys like you by letting them run in the Pro-Class and run more often as that was some of the complaints. We have to look at all sides of this and make disicions based on the good of the whole event. If you always win in the Street Rod Class guys will not even enter or try to build a better car they will just figure when at those events Donny is going to win so why play. We want more people to get involved and we got a lot of e-mail and letters asking why certain people always won and what we were going to do about it. As a group we looked at it and this is what we came up with. There maybe something we find that does not work and we have to change it but as for now this is what was talked about and sent to all sponsors to give input on.

I look forward to seeing that 32 win a Pro-Class and then your going to be the top guy and nothing will bring you down. You still have the goals to do better and win you just will move up to play with guys more in your class.

Come on lets just go out and play with cars!!!!!

See you at the events.
      Goodguy Ed

What's wrong with the same guy winning all the time if if they are the fastest car in a given class? The only guy that thinks this is cool is second place. I have been second place...hell I've been last place. You may have read my other post but I will reiterate, when I got sick of losing I did something about. I fixed my car. I bought parts from sponsors, DSE doesn't have a 32 Ford page but I made it work. I went through several sets of steering arms and pitman arms trying to get the quickest steering combination. I took a brand new axle out of the box and bent it with a 60 ton press to get some negative camber. *****, last winter I built a new chassis because I saw room for improvement. I wanted to win!! I even tried to learn to drive.....we're still working on that one. I earned the right to win continuously by working for it. I didn't do it for gift certificates or trophies. I'm driving the trophy. I worked at it for the same reason everyone else does....for the glory! Anyone that claims they do not like to be recognized for their effort is full of it.

That first place in class validates to everyone else what I already knew I accomplished. I am proud of the fact that the last six Goodguys shows I took the roadster to, I brought home the hardware six times. No one was even close. But now after my first win, the glory goes to the guy who just showed up and ran second fastest. You would have saved me a lot of time and money if you had changed this rule 2 years ago.

Donny

The Car with the driver that won the class will move up. Your wife can still run in the Street Rod Class with the second window sticker. One for you to be scored under the Pro-Class (Once you win) and one for her to be scored under the Street Rod Class until she wins, then your both in Pro-Class.

Also we want to award guys like you by letting them run in the Pro-Class and run more often as that was some of the complaints. We have to look at all sides of this and make disicions based on the good of the whole event. If you always win in the Street Rod Class guys will not even enter or try to build a better car they will just figure when at those events Donny is going to win so why play. We want more people to get involved and we got a lot of e-mail and letters asking why certain people always won and what we were going to do about it. As a group we looked at it and this is what we came up with. There maybe something we find that does not work and we have to change it but as for now this is what was talked about and sent to all sponsors to give input on.

I look forward to seeing that 32 win a Pro-Class and then your going to be the top guy and nothing will bring you down. You still have the goals to do better and win you just will move up to play with guys more in your class.

See you at the events.
      Goodguy Ed

Also we want to award guys like you by letting them run in the Pro-Class and run more often as that was some of the complaints.

See you at the events.
      Goodguy Ed
      Pro Class= vendors, so the vendors are saying they dont get enough runs in? At columbus they got 4 or 5 runs more then me. Also you stopped running Street Machine car right before me, to run Street Machine of the Year, and then after that it went back to vendors and then the first street machine, so i lost that run.

The 200 treadwear was what all the other AutoCross events are running and that was where we started so we are just going back to that so tires are not the deciding factor on the cars if you were running other events and could not buy tires for an event of a lower treadwear.
      Nope. The VAST majority of autocross (98% +) 140 treadwear is considered a street tire.

I don't think that coming on Sunday only is going to attract many people. I have to drive 880 miles round trip to one event, and 300 miles round trip to the other, I wouldn't do the trip for one day, and I'm sure I'm not a minority on this.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

So I get more runs but less tires

I still think its lame but we'll see how it goes. Thanks for explaining.

***edited by Bulldawg Musclecars****
      Last edited by BulldawgMusclecars; 02-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
      Joe Hinds

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com