Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Goodguys rules and such...

I'm new to the Pro-touring scene and want to get more involved. My car will be built to flog but I've heard that it's too new to participate at any Goodguys event. Is that so? And will that be changing in the near future? Is there a link to Goodguys rules?

-Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

There has been a recent clamoring for Good Guys to open up to later year/model cars, and really they've even bent the rules a little for some in the past. Good Guy Ed recently posted a number of Sunday dates for all years. Personally I think 2012 will see more of these depending on the success of these events...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Ben,
      This was posted on Tuesday.

Goodguys Sunday Get-Togethers Late Models Welcome!!!
      Well as I have said on here Goodguys was working on what we would be doing to allow newer than 1972 vehicles into our events. As some of you know we have been doing All Year American Made or Powered for over 29 years at our Pleassanton events and some of you have asked when Goodguys would bring this to the east coast.

Here is the press release that is going out today!!!

Goodguys Announce “Sunday Get-Together” Promotion for Three 2011 Events

Pleasanton, CA – The Goodguys Rod & Custom Association has announced an all new Sunday-only promotion for three events this summer and fall. The “Sunday Get-Together” promotion welcomes American made or American powered cars and trucks of all years, makes and models to the events on Sunday only. The three events scheduled to host the new Goodguys “Sunday Get-Together” include the Goodguys 5th PEAK Chicagoland Nationals, August 12-14 at Chicagoland Speedway, the Goodguys 10th Midwestern Nationals, September 2-4 at Kansas Speedway and the Goodguys 18th Southeastern Nationals, October 28-30 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Any late model show car can participate in these three events on Sunday-only so long as it’s American made or American powered. “We’re really excited to be swinging open the event gates to the late model American made and American powered cars in Chicago, Kansas City and Charlotte,” said Goodguys VP of Event Operations Harry Daviess. “We have done Get-Together style events for over 25 years in our hometown of Pleasanton, California and it’s an outstanding format for car guys. The ‘Big Three’ build some awesome new muscle cars and hot rods. It will be something to see a ’69 Camaro parked next to a 2010 Camaro. Same with the Dodge Challengers, Ford Mustangs, GTO’s and others,” Daviess said. He also pointed out how well the classic car and old school hot rod & custom guys get along with late model owners. “All Goodguys are car guys at heart. This will further broaden the scope of the events allowing as many as six or seven generations of car people to participate in a Goodguys event.”

Goodguys will be making it easy for the newly welcomed participants to register. There will be a simple one day fee at registration for the later model cars. Goodguys will pick up to 20 Sunday Get-Together awards well as keep the AutoCross road course open on Sunday at these three events.

The Sunday event will start at 8:00am and close at 4:00pm with a track cruise at 1:00pm and the awards at 3:00pm.

Only rods, customs, classics, trucks and muscle cars through 1972 vintage are eligible to participate in the Chicagoland Nationals, Midwestern Nationals and Southeastern Nationals during the start of the weekend on Friday and Saturday. For more visit www.good-guys.com or call Goodguys at (925) 838-9876.

So there you have it, Goodguys all years Sunday Get-Togethers at three events near you.

Let us know what you think of this and what year vehicle you will be bringing.

So you can see from this that we now have three events on the West Coast, Two in the MidWest and one on the East coast that are open to all years of cars.

Come have fun and enjoy the event.

Thanks Goodguy Ed

BRB going to see the hamb.....

I have commemted on this before in other threads here and elsewhere. It's not something that I wanted but it is what it is. We are ALL car guys and ALL on the same side but I would be lying if I said I wasn't saddened just a little by this announcement.......

Donny

Here is the largest part of this,

This promotion is a combined effort to get younger generations involved in our hobby as well as to increase Sunday participation. “We are trying hard to involve younger people in our events. Our hope is that by them coming to the event in a later model car or truck they will be exposed to our rod & custom industry and see what we have to offer.”

This also opens the door for manufactures of late model parts to come to the events for all three days. The hard core Hot Rodder will still have his event and will be able to show the younger crowd what Hot Rodding is all about.

Remeber it is SUNDAY only for the late model cars and trucks.

Goodguy Ed

Will the '73 and up cars and trucks be eligible to win autox prizes on Sunday? Will they have their own classes?
      Tyler Gibson

There's nothing like building up an old automobile from scratch and wiping out one of these Detroit machines... That'll give you a set of emotions that will stay with you... Know what I mean? Those satisfactions are permanent...

Quote Originally Posted by Goodguy Ed View Post

This promotion is a combined effort to get younger generations involved in our hobby as well as to increase Sunday participation. “We are trying hard to involve younger people in our events. Our hope is that by them coming to the event in a later model car or truck they will be exposed to our rod & custom industry and see what we have to offer.”

Goodguy Ed
      Very awesome, that's what its about. Young guys and gals in G-bodies, fox mustangs, etc all good.....very good. Old dudes in new musclecars with a diecast model of "their" car on display on the factory engine cover.....not cool and thats the part that makes me sad.

Again to clarify. Young people with older cars - good. Old people with young cars - bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoX_a_Truck? View Post
      Will the '73 and up cars and trucks be eligible to win autox prizes on Sunday? Will they have their own classes?
      The 73 and newer cars and trucks will be in there own single class and the winner will go through the awards. We will also give the winner a free one year subscription to the Gazette. There will not be any AutoCross prizes like the tires and gift certificates as that was all done at the begining of the year. We will work on this for 2012 and see what we can do.

Goodguy Ed

Right-on,I hope it works out great for you.now I can build my LSX powered E36- BMW-M3.and go Auto-crossen.

So I can autocross my G body on sunday only or all weekend?
      Eric Evans

Late models are in the show sunday only and can autocross sunday only.....I assume you are talking about Charlotte, if so I will be there short of a tragedy.

Oddly enough I am planning on attending all of the show that will have "late model Sunday" and despite what anyone may have inferred from previous posts I am looking forward to it.

Donny

Sunday Only for the newer than 1972 cars and trucks.

Donny,
      Good to see your going to the three events, should be a good AutoCross with the newer cars running on Sunday.

Goodguy Ed

That's good news that things are broadening. I understand that Goodguys was built around old school cars but it's nice to see everyone play together. Sorry to be hypocritical to some, but I'd like to see it closed to "late model" cars all together, they're just not old cars.

Maybe a good general rule to consider in the future is the car has to be a set certain amount of years old rather than questioning where to draw the line between old, mildly old, and late model cars. Here in Utah a car that is 30 years old qualifies for "antique car" registration, so that would put the cut off at '81 this year. If Goodguys were like this it would enable folks like me with my '79 to not question if I will ever be able to participate but rather I will know and look forward to when I do qualify to play. If an old guy with a 98 Trans Am wants to play, well he can, in 2028.

Really, as more and more pre 73 cars are becoming limited and more out of reach of the average buyer, (or high school kid that wants to build his first hot rod like we all started out), 73-84ish cars are becoming more and more popular as budget hot rods. I also currently own a 73 and 74 Nova and I've owned 3 different 73+ Novas for the last 23 years, very car Hot Rod magazine looked down on and called the "ugly Nova" 10 or 12 years ago. Now look at the price of a 73 or 74 Nova, and how many are showing up at the track. Most of the pre 73's are bought up so there isn't much choice but move to the newer cars. G-bodies and early fox bodies are another perfect example. What was once ugly is now cool and a respected "old" car to build. I look forward to the day if/when things change and those cars will be seen as old across the board too.

ok, nuff of my blabbin'.

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Ben,
      We will stick with what works for Goodguys on the West Coast as we have been doing all year events for over 25 years in Pleasanton. This will be looked at after these three test events in the mid west and east coast to decide on 2012. Some events like Des Moines and Columbus would not have the room to do this so we will need to look at each event as to if we can move the year breaks up.

We look forward to seeing some of the newer than 1972 vehicles at Chicago, Kansas and Charlotte.

I talked with Kyle Tucker at Detroit Speed and he said he was bringing their 2010 Camaro to Charlotte on Sunday to run the AutoCross! Look forward to seeing that.....

Let us know what you think and if you are going to one of these events with a 1973 or newer send us the pictures of the car.

Goodguy Ed

Thanks Ed. I think changing anything this year would be a hassle. All my thoughts are just food for thought for the future.

Right now my car is in the building stage- see the build thread link in my sig. It should be done next April and after I graduate and get settled in with work I want to start attending some bigger events as the wallet allows. I'm in Utah right now but have been talking about moving my family to the mid west where there's a little more opportunity for someone like me. I definitely look forward to participating in years to come, particularly in the autocross arena. Woohoo!

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Ironically I just posted a question concerning the cut off date on another PT site. I really love anything that can be considered a "Hot Rod" regardless of the make model or age. With that said, I feel the long time supporters of these events would find a rolling 25 or 30 year old cut off date much more acceptable than just swinging the gates open to all years.

Unfortunately the logistics of beiing located in South Texas won't allow me to enter any of these shows for one day.

any info on the new rules and class breaks?

Whatchoootawkinboutwillis?

Do we really need more classes.....or rules?

guys like you and me gonna get hosed for goin fast

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com