Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

simple (even kind of dumb) question - crossovers

Does it make any difference if I mount the crossovers for my front components in the trunk next to the amp? I don't see why there would be, I just see most people put them right next to the actual speakers and didn't know if there was a reason.

That's were I mount mine !
      Check out my web site.
      http://screaminperformance.net

if you mount it next to your amp I am sure it would be fine but you would have to run 2 sets of wires to your components. if you have your crossover next to the components you would have to run one wire from the amp to the crossover and then have just 2 short wires going to the speakers. probably same difference just more wire needed.

unless I am reading this wrong.
      Chad Read

The reason the crossovers are next to the speakers is so the additional resistance from 10'-20' of wire is not introduced into the equation. This alters the crossover points a tiny bit by adding the resistance of the wire to the resistance of the speaker. This changes the crossover points a tiny bit.

You may not even hear the difference but, that is why people put them next to the speakers and/or in the door rather than next to the amp in the trunk.
      Last edited by dcozzi; 02-15-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Update info
      1970RS Camaro
      Lateral Dynamics, Wilwood, BOZE, Strange Engineering, Alston, Ride Tech, Gen II, FAST.
      Dave Cozzi

Thanks Dave, that's a good reason. Like you said though, I probably won't notice any difference, especially in one of these cars (i.e. engine/exhaust noise). I already have speaker wire run up to the front from the amp that is a 4 wire in one sheath, so I'm good there. You gotta love Monoprice! If you guys do not use them for all of your cabling needs (speakers, HDMI, etc.) you are missing the boat.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com