Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

6x9s in deck - box them in or let em hang free?

I'll be putting a new JL 10" in a box firing up through deck and can build it out to include the 6x9s on either side easy enough. Do they need enclosures or are they better without?

Country Flag: Canada
      If you want a crisper sound and improved bass than yes it is beneficial! You can add some fiberfill to the boxes aswell!

Do not box them if the sub is firing through a opening in the back deck and all of the output of the sub is going through the opening. If it isn't you might need to to keep the 6x9 s from slapping or bottoming out due to the air moving off of the sub. 6x9s and smaller full range spkrs are infinite baffle and not designed to be in a enclosure. You will lose all of your midbass

I was going to have the sub boxed and firing up through the deck. So there wouldn't be any air movement on the trunk side to affect the 6x9s. Are you saying the air movement from the top side of the sub will interfere with the top of the 6x9s?

No it should not interfere at all

I cap my 6x9s and use inductor coils on my subs and mounted them all free air in the trunk of my 71 Monte Carlo,,,bolted to the plate firing into the rear seat and 6x9 in regular area.
      Powered with my Marantz Mono block system. Would set some records for having only 360watts I always had to compete in 501watt up class!
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Quote Originally Posted by hifi875 View Post
      Do not box them if the sub is firing through a opening in the back deck and all of the output of the sub is going through the opening. If it isn't you might need to to keep the 6x9 s from slapping or bottoming out due to the air moving off of the sub. 6x9s and smaller full range spkrs are infinite baffle and not designed to be in a enclosure. You will lose all of your midbass
      Agreed.

The sub itself requires a certain box dimension for good bass for the style box you're using.
      The 6x9's will be fine using the open space of the trunk if the bass is not interfering with them in the trunk space.

Mine is a custom box I made to hang from my package tray with a 10" boston acoustics sub for my 78z.
      I got the idea from another 2nd gen owner that made his own, and I did the same.
      This is mine, the lower pic is his.

you can see he put the tray just too close to his 6x9's and they're barely not touching the amps.
      I made mine an inch or two lower.

CreepinDeth,
      can you reload those pictures? I can't see them.

My bad.....fixed.

I just changed the title of that album a few days ago. Didn't realize it broke all the links.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com