Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Homemade vertical bandsaw!

So, since I've been waiting forever to get my rear end completed, I decided to keep myself occupied with building my own vertical bandsaw. I found a cool attachment for my deep cut portaband saw from swagoffroad.com. I purchased their latest bench top model, then made a few modifications of my own. At first it was going to be a simple homemade vertical bandsaw. Then, I got into it I found an old Black & Decker grinder stand on ebay. It was local so I picked it up pretty cheap. The things weighs at least 80-90 lbs. I like the fact that it's old school cast iron. I stripped it down and coated it with some left over Raptor Upol bed liner. I wanted to get it a nice rough exterior (considering it's a heavy duty stand). I then fabricated a metal box out of 1/4" steal for the top attachment to mount to. I permanently welded a Shop Fox mini mobile base (eliminating the 40+ screws holding it together) to fit the base of the stand. I had my local powder coating shop coat everything is bright red to match the saw itself, and now I have my own mini mobile homemade vertical bandsaw. It works great! However, it's almost too nice to use....don't want to scratch it! I thought it was fun and it turned out pretty good if I don't say so myself. Hope you enjoy!

Here's the stand after I stripped it (notice the old B&D on the front)

Here's the base after I applied the bed liner

The final product after powder coating and assembly with all SS button head screws and foot control

Dave

1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

Nicely done Dave!

I've got one of the stands that was offered for sale on this site a few years ago using a portasaw.

Love that thing.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

I may have to order one of these for my saw.. cool idea.

That is a work of art. Well done! :-)

Very good job! Looks great, can you lock the base to keep it from rolling? I'm thinking yes.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Yes, 2 set pins in the rear lower everything down to the ground. It doesn't budge when they're set. Still use this set up all the time and I couldn't imagine not having it in my garage!

Dave

1972 Nova
      1967 RS/SS Camaro - current project

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com