Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Cable or hard linkage shifter??

I have a 545RFE trans, and I found a company called American Shifter that has a hard linkage shifter that mounts to top of trans, but my shop is telling me to go with a cable floor mounted shifter from B&M that they have to fab up some cable mounts, they are quoting me 6 hrs of labor.

anyone have any experience with either system, or make a recommendation?????

Country Flag: United States
      I like linkages. They don't melt.

I agree with Dan. But you culd wrap the cable with fiberglass heat insulation, like spark plug wires.

I like linkage as well....Use a Lokar though. they do several different shifters for that trans from a floor mount to trans mount.

American Shifter is owned by hoffman group and there tech service is terrible and everything is imported.

Lokar is made in the USA.

Lokar told me they didn't have one for the 5 speed trans...

Sorry, I missed the 5 in front of the 45. What's different? That's the same trans that was in my 06 charger then, right? So all you need is P R N D or do you have something different. American Shifter lists the same part number for the 45rfe and the 545rfe.

Any ways it was a warning about the lack of tech help after the sale. If they are the only ones that got it you don't have much choice.

I saw that two, the same model number, my understanding is that the 545rfe is the 5speed and the 45RFE is the 4speed, also this is not the same trans that was in you 06 Charger, this is out of a Durango, or a jeep, not sure, a little more stout for , well that's what i was told.

This topic for the 545RFE seems to be a real enigma...for me, maybe I should have gone with a 5 speed manual, but was planning on a daily driver.

I am really surprised at the lack of information on a shifter for my 545rfe trans, the only company is American Shifter, there has to be something I am missing out there....This si the same trans in the Jeep, Durango, Dodge Ram truck.....so there has to be something???? HELP!!!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com