Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

BMW 335i Twin turbo oil question

a friend just called me, her Bimmer's oil light is on. Takes 5w-30, but the gas station she is at does not have synthetic.

If she's so low that the light is on can she run conventional till she gets home?

Country Flag: United States
      Conventional won't hurt it, but you really need to find out why, and secondly be sure it was low oil and not low pressure.

There are common problems and leaks with the N54.
      Mark Pearce

Vini Vidi Vici

It will live until she can get it to the dealer. BMW isn't going to trigger a light at a critical moment. Well before.... It's a quart low MAX. I had two 5 series.
      Todd

It may be as little as one quart of oil low. You can check the oil while driving using the buttons on the turn signal lever. There is a button you can push up. Push it up until the oil check light in the dash displays. Once it displays, push the button the end of the lever in to measure the oil.

I wouldn't use conventional oil unless it was really low. The N54 (assuming it is not a twin scroll) engines hold 7 or 8 quarts of oil. Also, you need the correct type of synthetic, Read the back to make sure it meets VW, MB, BMW specs. My 2011 owner's manual states to use 0W30 Castrol Syntec European formula (perferred oil), Mobile 1 0W40 (which is a Europe formula), Pennzoil Platinum European Formula 5W30 or Valvoline Synpower 5W30

Thanks for all the replies. Turns out, it was just a quart low. She was able to make it to a store that had the correct oil.

But here is my question...If this thing takes 8-9 quarts, why freak out the driver with a light @ one quart...is it that "most" BMW drivers "only know where the gas goes?"

They have no dipstick. I don't think it's meant to freak you out, just tell you it needs a quart.
      Todd

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com