Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1968 firebird, how to lower?

I have a 68 firebird im going to lower just a little bit with the 18's im putting on it. My question is if i lower the car, what parts do i need to lower the rear end? dropped leaf springs? Is 3 inches too low? what about 2? 2nd-what parts are needed in the front end to lower it as well? I want to replace all the drums and go disk brake all around.
      Are there any suggestions on where to buy the parts? I dont want to spend an arm and a leg but it will be my daily driver and id like it to at least be comfortable but still savvy enough to swurve in case a cow jumps out in front of me on the road. Any or all info would help!
      Thank You guys, appreciate it.
      Brandon

Country Flag: United States
      I have the Hotchkis 2" lowering springs on the front of mine and just added the 1 1/2" lowering leafs on the rear a few weeks ago. That is all you need to lower it. There are plenty of disc brake kits that you can buy to convert from manual drums and still use you drum brake spindles. If you know what you want, Jegs and Summit both have great prices and essentially free shipping. If you don't know what you want, then you may want to buy from someone who can give you some advice.

I'd like my rear to be a little lower. The 3" kit might have been a little too low for me, but 1 1/2" sits just a little too high. I'm still waiting for my rear springs to settle before making any decisions. Here's how mine sits right now with 18's:

****Edit****
      Forgot to mention that I only had about 2 gallons of gas in the tank, and the interior was gutted, so the rear might come down with a little more weight.
      Last edited by 67rally; 02-17-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added details

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com