Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Country Flag: United States

Default 1968 ls2 procharged Camaro

Hello everyone, Well i figured it was time that i post some pics of my build. Lets start by talking about the car. Its a 68 Camaro, that was purchased threw a local paper called the Thrifty Nickle when i was around thirteen. My father and I restored it threw high school. We took some short cuts just to make it look good and to be honest he thought i would have had it wrapped around a pole in no time...lol. At that point i had put a 396 in it along with that it had a 12 bolt rear end and a four speed. Well, here it was a little over ten years later, having a better paying job... I decided to do it right and how i wanted it.

Now here's what im running:
    engine:
    Forged ls2, wiseco pistons, callies rods, ported 317s, 232/240 .595/.608 115 cam, super vic intake and oh yeah d1 procharged and intercooled.
    trans:
    T-56 with hurst shifter for a retro look. mcleod clutch in time lol
    rear end:
    Track 9, 9 inch ford rear
    Brakes:
    Ls1 conversion, front and rear.
    Body:
    Some Shaved parts and custom vallance. DSe mini tub kit
    Suspension:
    Front, Hotchkis: 3 inch drop spring, sway bar and tie rod sleeves. 92 iroc performance gear box swap
    Rear, DSE 3 inch drop leaf springs for now lol

Here is a pic of it before i started its tear down:
    Attached Images Attached Images              

Thats a great start. I'm doing a build very similar yours. Its a good that your camaro isn't an rs. The inter cooler is a pain to install on them.
    Look like you done some body mods to you car already with the smoothed marker lights.

Whats the cubic inches on your ls2? How many lbs are you planning to run? looking forward to watching and welcome to PT.com
    67 Camaro convertible (Jinx)

now that is a dreamy motor!
    project 72 chevelle rs1

Used to be known as streetmetal

that things badass

Nice looking set-up, should rock and roll!

Quote Originally Posted by 67 ls1 vert View Post
    Thats a great start. I'm doing a build very similar yours. Its a good that your camaro isn't an rs. The inter cooler is a pain to install on them.
    Look like you done some body mods to you car already with the smoothed marker lights.

Whats the cubic inches on your ls2? How many lbs are you planning to run? looking forward to watching and welcome to PT.com

LOL... funny you say that its good mine isnt an rs bc im converting it to one... Yeah it looks like the easiest way is good looking hood pins or a custom made rs hood latch... And yes i took out the side marker lights way back when... it look way cleaner. I plan on welding the lower fenders to the fenders also... I was going to build a 402 stroker but i was told it would over work the d1 to fill the space and i would make more power with the stock cubes. I have 4.005 pistons so i could clean it up but keep the sleeve walls thick as possible. Im running a 3.4 so people say i will be running 15-18 psi depending. Hoping for 750+ rwhp.

I also made a smooth firewall plate from cold rolled 16 gauge steel... shouldn't warp lol. I purchased the big red race valve .... And i have a lemans quick release gas cap in the future.

Here's a couple more pics of the sub frame. We mig'd and tig'd welded all the seams and filled everything. Also, I did a little rendering of the rear of the camaro on paint lol. And i threw another of the engine just because haha

very cool look for the rear! split bumper is money!
    project 72 chevelle rs1

Used to be known as streetmetal

Nice! I'll be doing an LS1/T56/Procharger on a '69 Firebird convertible soon.
    Joe Hinds

You might want to rethink the RS install. I have an RS and a big inter-cooler and it is very difficult to route the tubing. You cant go beside the headlight because the head light doors open up right where you need them and if you go under the core support your piping will hang low. I'm not going to show mine yet as its still in the works. But lets say it would be way easier to have a non RS front end. I see that you bought the billet grill but you could always run the billet standard grill as an option. I am going to follow this build to see how you tackle it. Good luck which ever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by 67 ls1 vert View Post
    You might want to rethink the RS install. I have an RS and a big inter-cooler and it is very difficult to route the tubing. You cant go beside the headlight because the head light doors open up right where you need them and if you go under the core support your piping will hang low. I'm not going to show mine yet as its still in the works. But lets say it would be way easier to have a non RS front end. I see that you bought the billet grill but you could always run the billet standard grill as an option. I am going to follow this build to see how you tackle it. Good luck which ever you decide to do.
    This is very true. What do you think about running the tubes threw the fender wells between the core support and the wheel. Next to the frame. It would require a rear mounted battery

not sure how you mean? If you go in to the fenders around the core support you will be out side the headlights. Not to mention, if you go inside your inner fenders you will be over the tire and the tire will rub the piping. I know I looked in to it. Keep looking, its like a puzzle. You'll figure out something cool. Remember, you want the least amount of turns. Turns rob performance. :(

Mocking up everything! custom valance, rs grill... still need to attach head light brackets.

Engine bay is looking good Bro!
    Ron in SoCal
    69 Camaro in progress
    http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

I didn't think that intake would clear a stock hood. Looking good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Black93GT View Post
    I didn't think that intake would clear a stock hood. Looking good!!
    It should clear the 2.5 cowl lol

Sweet looking project, love to go for a ride when finished!

Yeah i cant wait either, still have to work out the kinks... This thing sits low. I need a holley oil pan. and i still have to mini tub it ... and repaint the enitre car black I also have to buy new wheels since these wont clear the calipers...

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Rod Technologies View Post
    Sweet looking project, love to go for a ride when finished!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast