Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Noob to the forum but modding cars is a sickness that has no cure!

Name:  LS1.jpg
Views: 39330
Size:  203.8 KB

Car: 69 RS
      Motor: LS1
      Transmission:TKO500
      Transmission Crossmember: Still working on this
      Fuel Tank: Stock with a Tanks inc retrofit and 255
      Headers: (brand, size and finish) Dougs LSX for 1st gen F body
      Motor Mounts:Mounts are Engergy suspension with Ebay LS plates from cutthroat 4x4 flipped up side down
      Oil Pan: Mast LSX (found a deal on Craigslist)
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe:Stock
      Exhaust used:Flowmaster 2.5
      Radiator Used: American Eagle 2 row for 69 Camaro and modded it using the 99 Camaro LS fans
      Wiring Harness: S&P (swap meet find)
      What issues came up? Engine did not set into the engine mounts. Mating trans to the LS engine. Mechanical v. hydraulic clutch
      How did you solve them? so I had to flip the adapters and grind a bit of the energy suspension mounts to align the bolt hole. Still working on the transmission. Just need to confirm if I need the .400 difference flywheel for my 12 inch clutch. Will have to go with my mechanical due to funds. looks like I can get Z bar to work using the GM 621 bell housing.
      What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers? Plan out the build and don't throw all the shiny parts that you see. Look for combinations you like and see if someone has done it. Take your time on it and be patient. There are lots of builds out there. Some are supper nice but call for super $$$$. Use as many parts from the donor car and yours you can.

Car:1968 Camaro
      Motor: LS 6.0 truck block w/ shaved L92 heads and LS3 intake
      Transmission: T56 out of '04 GTO
      Transmission Crossmember: ATS
      Fuel Tank: Ricks SS
      Headers: (brand, size and finish) Dougs long tube ceramic coated - rubs steering box
      Motor Mounts: not sure
      Oil Pan: Autokraft
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe: Stock subframe
      Exhaust used: 3" Pypes
      Radiator Used: Alum. dual fan
      Wiring Harness: PSI Conversions out of NJ

What issues came up?
      Truck accessories have different offset than LS1 accessories
      LS3 MAP sensor will not work with typical LS1/LS2 etc. engine harness.
      Don't need stock oil send - use Autometer adaptor 2277 (metric to 1/8 NPT) to install std style oil send for your oil press. gauge.
      LS1 camaro and corvette O2 sensor plug ends are different - Corvette has 4 flat
      GTO T56 tranny has different slave hydraulic line fitting than LS1. Replace GTO T56 slave with LS1 slave or buy adapters to change out LS style clutch master line with AN style line.
      Coil relocation brackets look nice but added $$ plus added $$ to spark plug wire kit.
      Pretty aftermarket valve covers don't have PCV provisions - Keep stock covers and coil mounts

What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers?
      Buy a turn key setup that someone else already pulled their hair out on

Last edited by BuddyP; 03-26-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Hey ROD could ya elaborate on your transmission setup...621 bellhousing? appreciate it!

Car:
      Motor: 2001 LS1
      Transmission: T56 from 2001 Camaro
      Transmission Crossmember: Art Morrison Ent.
      Fuel Tank: Stock
      Headers: (brand, size and finish) Art Morrison Ent. 1-3/4" Coated
      Motor Mounts: Art Morrison Ent.
      Oil Pan: 98-02 F-Body
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe: Art Morrison Enterprises
      Exhaust used: 2.5", custom
      Radiator Used: Be Cool for SBC
      Wiring Harness: American Autowire Classic Update
      What issues came up? Brake master cylinders: Using a triple MC pedal assembly with balance bar, the innermost MC hits the coils. That's it.
      How did you solve them? Relocated the offending ignition coil.
      Buy parts from one company. Don't mix and match everything!
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

Lots of work has been completed, but we haven't fired the engine up yet. We're waiting to get the car back from the interior & paint shop before completing the engine & driveline.

Car: 1969 Camaro
      Motor: 2007 LS7 427 Dry-Sump
      Transmission: Keisler T-56 Magnum
      Transmission Crossmember: BMR
      Fuel Tank: Rick's Stainless Steel
      Headers: American Racing 1 7/8" Stainless Steel
      Motor Mounts: Dirty Dingo Adjustable
      Oil Pan: Factory GM Dry-Sump
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe: TCI
      Exhaust used: TBD
      Radiator Used: DeWitts w/ Dual Fans
      Wiring Harness: GMPP LS7 Kit
      What issues came up? Engine had to be set further back, but the Dirty Dingo gave us the adjustability to get it perfect!
      How did you solve them? Adjustable Dirty Dingo mounts
      What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers? Take your time, and be sure to spend quite a bit of time educating yourself before starting the swap. There are a LOT of swaps that have been completed, and odds are you can find someone that has done it. The internet can be a great tool, and don't be afraid to ask those that have done it! Also, be sure that the engine/trans combo you're going to run is a factory-installed setup if you're going to run a GM ECM/TCM. A 6L90 six-speed auto would be super cool behind your LS6 engine, but that will require a stand-alone trans controller! We have had a few customers run into issues similar to this.

car: 69 camaro
      engine:carb'd 5.3 w/milled z06 heads and custom cam
      trans: 2004r
      fuel tank: stock w/holley black pump
      headers: brp/hedman
      motor mounts: brp
      oil pan: gm muscle car
      subframe: stock
      exhaust: 2.5 w/magnaflows
      radiator: prc w/dual electric fans/spal controller
      accessory drive: factory gm corvette w/sanden a/c compressor and vintage aire bracket in factory location
      issues: engine sits alittle higher and forward but everything went right in. oil pan a little low but i drive mine alot and over speedbumps and i haven't ran into any problems.
      advice: go with a proven combination of headers and engine mounts to prevent headaches. check ls1tech.com, there is a ton of info but use it at your own peril.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Anyone weigh their car before and after the swap?

Car: 1980 Z28
      Engine: LS376/480
      Transmission: Kiesler TKO 600
      Transmission Crossmember: Kiesler
      Bellhousing: Quicktime
      Fuel Tank: Stock with Tanks inc. PA4 pump
      Headers: Dynatech
      Mounts: Holley stock position. Had the Dirty Dingo aluminum but they didn't go back far enough.
      Oil Pan: GM muscle car came with the engine.
      Subframe: Stock
      Exhaust: Flowmaster 2.5 inch american thunder.
      Radiator: AFCO
      Wiring Harness: GMPP

Problems encountered: Dingo mounts didn't position the engine back far enough. Fixed with the Holley stock position mounts. Manual clutch linkage had to be switched to hydraulic setup because i didn't want to grind the engine block or my new bell housing. Still in progress, I will update more when I am driving it.

Advice: Don't be scared of the swap. Like others have said do lots of research, read through the forums and do lots of planning.
      1980 Camaro Z28. LS376/480, TKO 600.

Country Flag: France
      Car: 67 Camaro
      Motor: LM7 from 03 Silverado with corvette LS3 accessory drive, waterpump and damper
      Transmission: 4L80e
      Transmission Crossmember: modified 200-4R
      Fuel Tank: Aluminium BBRC tank with external Fuelab pump
      Headers: Dougs D3337-R 1"3/4
      Motor Mounts: homemade with 6mm steel plate (dxf available if needed) to keep the transmission at the same place then the Gen1 SBC. (engine very near of firewall, need to use BBC heater)
      Oil Pan: Autokraft
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe: stock
      Exhaust used: homemade
      Radiator Used: summit for 67 Camaro
      Wiring Harness: homemade for Megasquirt CPU
      What issues came up? headers are a bit too low (mainly on passenger side)
      How did you solve them? not solved yet
      What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers? Read everything you can find about the swaps, take your time.

1969 Camaro LY6/T56

Car: 69 Camaro
      Motor: LY6 6.0
      Transmission: T56 from a 4th gen with a 03/04 Cobra tailshaft housing
      Transmission Crossmember: Homemade
      Fuel Tank: Stock tank with recessed panel. Tanks Inc fuelm pump and sending unit
      Headers: (brand, size and finish) Dynatech 1 7/8"x3" (they fit great for $400)
      Motor Mounts: DSE 060401
      Oil Pan: Holley
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe: Stock
      Exhaust used: 3" with Flowmasters
      Radiator Used: Custom aluminum (2) 1.25" cores
      Wiring Harness: Holley HP EFI
      What issues came up?
      I initially ordered an American Powertrain X-Factor transmission crossmember but it didn't fit (see last picture). The transmission mount landed about 1.25" in front of the crossmember. I ended up ordering a universal 6" drop crossmember from Speedway Motors, cut it up, made frame brackets, and welded it all together. It turned out really nice and I have $60 and 5 hours of time invested in it.
      My Holley oil pan also hit the subframe so i had to notch the frame area under the pan approximately 3/4" deep. I notched it so you cant see it without the motor being out of the car.
      READ, READ, READ!!!! I would read up on known combinations here at PT.com and LS1tech.com in the conversions and hybrids sectionName:  008.JPG
Views: 14541
Size:  70.5 KBName:  photo.JPG
Views: 14869
Size:  224.3 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 14562
Size:  210.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 21220
Size:  271.3 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 14658
Size:  22.5 KB
      Last edited by regal454; 08-26-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added pics
      Marc Battiste

1969 Camaro
      LY6/T56/12 Bolt

Where do I find this sec gen F-body AFCO radiator???
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

we get ours from speedway....swap radiator http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-1...tor,38464.html
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

CAR: 1968 SS 'vert
      ENGINE: '08 LS2 from TBSS (Thanks Travis!)

TRANSMISSION: 4L70E
      CROSSMEMBER: Modded TH350 one that was in the car (Great work Brian!)
      TANK: Stock tank with built AeroMotive system to handle 700hp (For that future Maggie!)
      HEADERS:DynaTech LSx conversion for First Gens (Fit PERFECTLY!)

Motor Mounts: DSE LSx conversion mounts (worked PERFECTLY with DynaTechs)

OIL PAN:Mast MotorSports LSx (no hacking, no fabbing, just mount and let 'er rip)
      SUBFRAME: Stock w/ coilover mod and DSE tubular UCAs/LCAs
      EXHAUST: MagnaFlow 2.5", tucked up nice & tight!

RADIATOR: Entrophy "EBAY" four core LSx for First Gens
      WIRING HARNESS: Stock TBSS reworked by Jon @ SpearTech
      WHAT ISSUES CAME UP?: Just some little things along the way. Most of the parts were thought thru and built with a "systems" approach in mind. Example: when I bought the DSE mounts, they told me that the DynaTech headers were used during engineering, so I bought DynaTechs; when I ordered the BAER brakes I ordered custom 18" wheels to fit. Additionally, going from a "carbed" car with 40+yr old technology to modern tech caused some delays in fabrication (new wiring harnesses thruout the car, tossing factory A/C and going with modern A/C)... otherwise, very straight forward.
      HOW DID YOU SOLVE THEM?: By having a great builder, excellent project planning, and a LOT of patience!!!(..and overtime at work to pay the price!)
      WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE DIYer's?: Come up with a plan and try to stick to it! (Boy did I have a lot of "something shiny caught my eye" moments). What started out as a "bolt-on" job for me turned into a full-rotisserie RESTO-MOD w/ Pro-touring vibe. Hind-sight being 20/20, I would WAIT to buy the motor until LAST (thanks for hanging onto it in your barn for six months Trav!). Additionally, look at the "fine details" that will have to go into the build to get it up-and-running, like wiring, gauges, fuel system, ECU mounting, etc... Lastly, DO YOUR HOMEWORK on great sights like this one! Talk with those that have "been there, done that"... You will find it makes life a lot easier in the end!

Name:  100_0285.jpg
Views: 15490
Size:  217.3 KBName:  ls2 camaro 033.jpg
Views: 15012
Size:  182.0 KB

Bump.

I'm looking for someone with a first gen, ls, 4l80e. I would like to know which motor mounts and crossmember you used. I have found guys that build their own homemade stuff, but I Plan on buying a known combo that works out of the box.

Hey all, I just found this thread and thought I would share my recent LS swap experience aswell.

Car: 1977 Firebird Formula.
      Motor: 5.3 Vortec with an Edelbrock RPM Performer carb conversion intake running a Holley 750.
      Transmission: Stock Pontiac TH-350 with Trans Dapt bolt hole adapter plate.
      Transmission Crossmember: Believe it or not, stock crossmember in the stock holes.
      Fuel Tank: Stock.
      Headers: Pace Performance long tube LS1 headers, driver's side collecter had to be cut, angled, and welded back in the right position.
      Motor Mounts: 70 - 73 Camaro big block frame mount with Trans Dapt 1" setback plates on the engine.
      Oil Pan: Right now, stock 5.3 truck pan, but I am getting a 98 - 02 F-body pan.
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe: Stock subframe, no modification.
      Exhaust used: Custom 2.5" true dual glasspacks that dumps out before the rear tires.
      Radiator Used: Stock 1977 Firebird radiator.
      Wiring Harness: Stock 5.3 computer and harness that I depinned and removed any unused sensors and wires (this was a chore, about 5 hours of chasing wires).
      What issues came up? Only issues were the driver's side header collector pointed towards the frame. Also I wans't entirely sure where to put the engine mounts on the frame.
      How did you solve them? Cut and angles the collector and welded it back together so it was in line. I dropped the engine and trans in the car, bolted the transmission down, and tack welded the engine mounts where they sat once I leveled the engine. Then I raised the engine and finish welded the mounts in.
      What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers? Patience deffinitely is numer one when trying to do this in 2nd gen F-bodies for sure. But if you do your homework, you will be just fine. I took about a week before going about the project to get all the parts and information I needed. If you are on a tight budget, it can be done!!! I did it. I have less than $1500 into the project right now. This might sound crazy to people on here, but it is true. I got lucky with the engine and only had to pay a couple hundred for it because I bought it out of a demo derby truck that broke before any damage actually happened to it. Junkyards will have engines out of wrecked trucks or cars for fairly cheap, just got to find them.

In process.......

Car: 1969 Camaro
      Motor: 2010 Aluminum 6.0 LS (L76)
      Transmission: 4th Gen T-56
      Transmission Crossmember: Muscle Rods
      Fuel Tank: Modified Stock (Added Sump)
      Headers: (brand, size and finish) Muscle Rods, 1 7/8" Primaries, Ceramic Coated
      Motor Mounts: AutoKraft
      Oil Pan: Mast Motorsports LS Conversion Pan
      Exhaust used: Custom
      Radiator Used: Griffin Dominator
      Wiring Harness: Mast Motorsports M-90 Controller
      What issues came up? Oil Pan clearance, LH8 Pan hangs down to low.
      How did you solve them? Mast Pan
      What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers? Do your homework well in advance and DONT GIVE UP!

Calling all 1st and 2nd Camaro LS swap owners!

Car: 1969 RS/SS
      Engine: LS2 Trailblazer SS, Speed Inc Si5v2 cam rods and springs.
      Transmission: T56 Magnum, hydraulic clutch
      Accessories: Kwik Performance
      Transmission Crossmember: American Powertrain
      Bellhousing: Quicktime
      Fuel Tank: Ricks Stainless, II Much vent
      Headers: Stainless Works
      Mounts: Custom spacers were needed
      Oil Pan: MAST Motorsports
      Subframe: Stock
      Exhaust: Stainless Works 3"
      Radiator: C&R Racing
      Wiring Harness: John Leonard custom

Paradise Road Rod and Custom is doing the work currently. Removed the BB427 and installing one of Datonayellaz's LS2s. Travis has vast knowledge of these swaps. My advice, get your checkbook ready; it snowballs.
      1969 Camaro SS/RS badging, Cortez Silver Black Hockey, LS2 Speed Inc Si5v2 cam, American Powertrain T56 Magnum, Rushforth Rated-X Smoked Titanium, DSE 2" springs, DSE Dash with AutoMeter UltraLite IIs. Engine and Transmission swap by Paradise Road Rod and Custom

Car: 1978 Pontiac Trans AM
      Motor:2002 5.3 from a Chevy Silverado
      Transmission:4L60E from a 2002 Camaro Z28
      Transmission Crossmember:Stock
      Fuel Tank:Stock
      Headers: (brand, size and finish) Edelbrock swap headers (No longer produced)
      Motor Mounts:Ebay swap brackets with stock clam shell mounts.
      Oil Pan: GM muscle car pan. H3 pan
      Exhaust used: Dual 2 1/2 inch with Magnaflow mufflers
      Radiator Used: Stock 4 row
      Wiring Harness: TechRods he was on ebay but he also has a website. www.techrods.com
      What issues came up? Truck accesorry bracket didn't clear hood.
      How did you solve them? Used Kwik Performance alt/power steering bracket
      What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers? Do your research spend lots of time on LS1Tech conversion and hybids section.

Name:  Engine.jpg
Views: 42468
Size:  187.3 KB

Car: 1978 Chevy Camaro
      Motor: 2004 LS1
      Transmission: TKO 600
      Transmission Crossmember: APT X-Factor
      Fuel Tank: Rick's SS
      Headers: (brand, size and finish) DynoTech Muscle Maxx
      Motor Mounts: Ebay Special
      Oil Pan: F-body
      Stock/Modified/Replaced Subframe: OEM
      Exhaust used: 1978 Camaro Specific Pypes X-pipe 2.5"
      Radiator Used: OEM type Aluminum SBC
      Wiring Harness: PSI
      What issues came up? Upper Radiator hose availability, I had to go convoluted SS.
      How did you solve them? Convoluted SS
      What advice would you give new LS swap DIY'ers? Go as Big LS as you can afford...Despite the power numbers, I want more!!!

1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Should have added "What front runner pulley system?"

I do like this thread.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com