Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

glass polishing?

Anyone had good luck polishing out minor scratches in glass? I have looked at the kits out there that mainly use a cerium oxide paste to polish out imperfections, but don't know how well they work. Is it worth doing?

They used a kit on Trucks, or Musclecar on an old, very worn, windshield and it seemed to work very well. I think it takes allot of time to do it right, but definitely cheaper that new glass.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

You can achieve good results on MINOR scratches with a felt wheel that attaches to a drill and a cerium oxide paste. But usually anything that is deep enough to catch your fingernail when running across will not come out without distorting the glass. Many years in the glass business...this being a common problem.

Will one of these polishing kits remove the wiper scratches?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I just recently scratched my quarter glass during a mini tub prep

with a glass repair kit you are sanding the scratch out so it will leave a divot in the glass

It is slow & messy,as said only for scratches you can't feel with your fingernail. 3-m has discs that will actually sand glass That process is REALLY slow to get all the scratches you just made back out, In other words mainly use for non replaceable glass.
      When talking about removing scratches or polishing, the whole process is basically removing larger scratches with smaller scratches till you can't see any. This applies for any material.
      I have used metal polish at work on small areas, one with heavier grit will of course cut faster.I have also used my same silicone carbide sandpapers used for paint colorsanding to remove heavier scratches. You can try a small area to see how much patience you wll need. Main rule is NOT to stay in one spot too long, You can also get glass hot enough to crack.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com