Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Rapin's 68 Camaro - The Final Frontier

Some of you have followed my project in the Pigeon Forge Project thread but since that event is now defunct and moved to another location it seemed irrelevant to further update that thread with the latest developments. Since new threads are free around here, we'll just start another one. ;-) So here's the latest "earth shattering" news. My car is now with Kevin and Kelle Oeste at V8 Speed & Resto Shop in Red Bud, Illinois for what we're hoping is its final journey towards completion. My Dad, son Jake, and I loaded her up and all remaining parts and drove the 10 hours from Detroit last Saturday to drop her off. Kelle Oeste and Trevor were nice enough to meet us on their day off to take the car and unload everything. They even gave us a shop tour - very impressed with their facilities.

So what's left to do? All plumbing (fuel, brakes), all Electrical (car, engine), Interior, some small suspension and exterior trim work. The goal is to get it running first, then tackle the other parts later. The car has two issues. First, the car is leaning to the driver’s side (a semi-common issue with 1st gens). It has done this for most of its life and all the new suspension apparently didn't help it. I am praying it's just something in the suspension and not the body - If it's the body than I’m done for. I will admit defeat and throw in the towel and not touch it again until I retire someday. I gotta think it's in the suspension though. If the body was twisted then the doors wouldn't line up...no? As it is the door gaps are near perfect. The other issue is the front wheels hitting the Touring Classics calipers. Don't know if they can modify the caliper and use a spacer. I'd ask Touring Classics but they don't exist anymore. Amazing...my project is taking so long the damn parts companies that I've bought from are going out of business. Oh well...at least we still have Toys R Us right? So if nothing can be done with the current setup then we'll have to go with a new set of front brakes for the ATS spindles.

I'm not going to lie but I am pretty terrified right now about that body lean. Having a LOT of anxiety over the whole thing really. I've never had much luck with this project. I just need the Hot Rod God's to finally smile upon her. It’s been a 17 year journey. Throw a dog a bone already!

Name:  b4bb97fbdda997a6dc8a37c212c6d343_w700.JPG
Views: 1399
Size:  79.2 KB

1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

You are in good hands Tony. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: Canada
      Tony, I have always enjoyed watching your project progress, even if it is slowly.
      I hope the body lean isn't anything too serious. I have noticed that virtually all of the early f-bodies and '68 to '74 X-bodies have a twist in their sub frames. You usually see a huge difference in the suspension shim packs, but I don't see it being enough to cause noticeable body lean.
      Best of luck.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

Great to see this continuing along Tony!!

Kelly said they measured up the body and everything appears to be good there so we know it's in the suspension somewhere.

- Start date; June '01

Tony -- this looks promising. I'm thinking your race with Tyler's (Beauregard) 50/50 may finally be over with you as the winner!!

Anyway, Kelle and Kevin will take good care of you.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

John...LOL!!!

My Camaro makes a brief appearance in this video.

https://www.facebook.com/V8SpeedShop...7063688028463/

- Start date; June '01

- Start date; June '01

A little update for you. We brought the car home on November 5th from Illinois. Want to send out mad props to Kelle and Kevin Oeste and the V8 Speed crew who did a hell of job bringing her back to life. If you are looking for a shop to build or finish a car for you, look no further. I unfortunately ran out of funds before they could do the interior so I am going to finish that in my garage. I Took the car out for some spirited driving on Sunday. Granted it's been a very long time since I last drove this car (25 years) but I do not remember it ever having this kind of power. The folks at LS1tech tell me I should be flirting with around 400rwhp and right now with the LS1 engine (which is technically an LS6) and no interior the car has got to be around 2900lbs (They were 3100 from the factory with all iron small block). Simply put....she is a LOT of fun to drive!!! Now that winter has set in I am going to put it up on cribbing and start the Interior install. I also need to buy new tires for it. One issue I am having is with headroom. When driving my head is roughly half an inch from the sheet metal roof. I have no idea what I am going to do for a headliner. No real modification I can make to the seat, it's very low to the floor as it is. I am 6'1" but my upper torso is longer than lower torso. I wouldn't know what else to do other than modifying the floor to lower it a couple inches, but I don't have the skills to do that. Anyway...I have submitted the car for Autorama in March so it will be a mad dash to the finish line. Here's a couple videos.....

https://youtu.be/uzZsrJUlqMk

https://youtu.be/4CYyH1L5YKA

- Start date; June '01

Tony, I suffer from "ape-man" disease too (short legs, long torso). The best solution is to add an adapter to bring the steering wheel closer to your body, and then you can lean the seat back to gain some head room. Bonus: it reduces the shock on your neck and spine should you get involved in an accident.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

A TMI one piece headliner will gain you roughly an inch of headroom.

https://www.tmiproducts.com/1967-69-...headliner.html

Order it from Matt’s, they are good at expediting TMI orders.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Don....thanks for the information. I am definitely going with that one.

- Start date; June '01

Need more pictures!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Got any pics of your seat brackets? I had same issue as you, there's not much room in these things. I modified my seat brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
      Got any pics of your seat brackets? I had same issue as you, there's not much room in these things. I modified my seat brackets.
      Yeah I will get you one tonight.

The only sensible solution would be to take out the original seat mount structure and substitute with a 1/4 plate of steel welded to the floor. Also I could take out the "turns" on the seat mount legs. All told it might buy me two inches of reduced height. But it would take some work.

- Start date; June '01

I remember there used to be a SSBC kit that fit the ATS spindle when Tyler owned ATS. It was meant for using 15” wheels. Maybe if someone could ask Tyler or Blake and crew up at Speed tech. If anyone knew one of those two parties would have the info.

I also still have the Touring classics calipers in my car (bought them back in 07 I think). Don’t see them very often anymore. What wheels are you running? The C5/6 calipers are finicky with wheel fitment.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com