Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by SparkyRnD View Post
      still no updates? I 'know' some work has been done since David Sloan started working on it.....
      At least its in good hands now...

-Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      At least its in good hands now...
      Well, it was until a week or so ago. It is actually back in my garage now. I need to put a mock-up engine and transmission in it so we can set the steering linkage and make sure it clears everything.

that needs to be done quickly!

So what're you waiting on?? Get'er done!
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

frankly I'm surprised the mock-up hasn't happened yet :P

frankly I'm surprised the mock-up hasn't happened yet :P
      Me, too. I am not getting any younger, after all! :-)

I have been online trying to figure out what oil pan I need. Last time I had the engine in the oil pan was hitting the steering rack, so I need to find another one that works better. I think I may have narrowed my choices down, but I am going to email the subframe manufacturer and post up in the Suspension Tech section just to get some feedback and suggestions. And I went to my local Camaro restoration parts house this morning to pick up the steering column dash bracket and firewall plate (because I have misplaced both of mine) so I could get the column in, but both were special order items and a whole lot more to get to me than eBay so I came back home and saved a few bucks ordering there. Either way those parts won't be here until next week so I can make some progress then. I do have a couple of other things that need doing this weekend anyway.

Because we've (Speedtech) wanted to keep the geometry where it needs to be and avoid the headaches of moving the steering forward, the rack and pinion remains as a rear steer. As a result in some applications you may need a bit of compensation in oil pan clearance. A stock traditional SBC or BBC should fit fine with a stock pan. I can't remember, is there an LS motor going in there? In that case the frame was designed around using a ATS/ Speedtech or Autokraft LS oil pan and custom designed Speedtech engine mounts. Either of those pans fit just fine. We have recently made some orders so the ATS pans are again in stock and are a pretty cool piece. LS oil pan for Speedtech Frames

435-628-4300 if you have any other questions.
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

he is going to be using a SBC 350 for now, and possibly a SBC 400 later, no LS

he is going to be using a SBC 350 for now, and possibly a SBC 400 later, no LS
      A Small block should fit with no clearance issues. Better give us a call, let's get to the bottom of it. 435-628-4300, M-F 9-5 mountain time.
      -Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Quote Originally Posted by Ben@SpeedTech View Post
      A Small block should fit with no clearance issues. Better give us a call, let's get to the bottom of it. 435-628-4300, M-F 9-5 mountain time.
      Ben - sorry for the lack of response, but I seem to have it figured out now. I had to get replacement engine stands from you guys & move them all the way back on the subframe, but the (aftermarket) pan now clears the rack. It is a little HEI unfriendly that way but we may even be able to get that to work as well. I may get a different (read: more expensive) high-clearance pan to give my self even more room down there.

More updates on the way.

I know - it has been a while since I have made any updates, or even progress for that matter. It has been a rough year and a half around here, but things are starting to get better. All that hopefully means that progress on YAC start kick back into gear. Anyway, here are some updated (albeit showing only minor progress for now) pics:

I bought a second hand set of coated Stainless Works headers, but they were not specifically for my subframe so there was not enough clearance at the steering rack.

I called Speedtech and ordered a new set of their headers (should have just done that in the first place), new engine stands (I had ruined the ones they had sent me because I was using the wrong motor mounts) and a steering shaft kit. I installed all of that soon after arrival. It all works much better - the steering shaft just needs to be trimmed to work.

I had also bought a 4.3 engine out of an S10 from a junkyard a year or so ago so I could steal the front serpentine accessory drive setup. After putting it on, I realized that I really want to run the later TPI serpentine setup as I don't like how high this system makes everything sit. I think the bracket that holds the tensioner part may be in the way of my throttle body. Sorry for how dirty this all is - I was just mocking it all up.

And while I was taking the bracket off of the 4.3, I thought I would tear it all down a little to see what kind of shape it is in. I have an old Jeepster Commando that it will be perfect for (someday). I must say this is about the nastiest engine I have ever taken apart. I do not understand how water got in EVERY cylinder. My guess it that there was water in the intake manifold and somebody turned it over a couple of times. As it is now, it will not turn over. This will be a fun one to take apart.

And in case anyone is curious about the Jeepster - here is are a couple of pics of it. I love this little thing!

Anyway, more updates to follow soon as things get back going.

Any progress is good progress! On the 4.3, try this: put it on an engine stand turning the engine where one bank of cylinders is level then put enough diesel in each cylinder to cover the top of the piston. Let it set 2-3 days then do the same on the other side. If all goes well, it should free it up enough to make it easier to get the pistons out. Hopefully it helps! I just tore down a 5.7 that had two seized pistons - penetrating oil (PB Blaster) worked for me well enough to get the assembly rotating where I could get it apart fairly easily.
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
      Any progress is good progress! On the 4.3, try this: put it on an engine stand turning the engine where one bank of cylinders is level then put enough diesel in each cylinder to cover the top of the piston. Let it set 2-3 days then do the same on the other side. If all goes well, it should free it up enough to make it easier to get the pistons out. Hopefully it helps! I just tore down a 5.7 that had two seized pistons - penetrating oil (PB Blaster) worked for me well enough to get the assembly rotating where I could get it apart fairly easily.
      Thanks, Geoff. I will add that to my many things I will try. I have been adding pb blaster every 12 hours for a day now, and may give that a few more days. I have also read to try soaking the cylinders in white vinegar for a couple of days, cleaning it out and then filling the cylinders with boiling water. Let it all cool naturally and then giving it a try. I may try that as I have the vinegar and can make boiling water. If that doesn't work I will try the diesel. Then whatever diesel I don't use I can spray on my weeds in the back yard to kill them.

Did you feel that? It was a vacuum created by all the tree huggers gasping at one time. :-)

odd, I don't see a shot of the passenger side of the jeepster ;)

I had it powder coated not long after I got it to help keep it from rusting. I still need to weld on the braces above the upper shock mount, so it will need to be coated again. More Afco coilovers and it is sitting on the wheels up front, too.

Attachment 53206

Who did you use for powder coating your subframe?
      MarkK

Quote Originally Posted by BossaNova View Post

Who did you use for powder coating your subframe?
      Professional Cryogenics up in Canton. They do great work and will be doing this one again when it is time to do the FINAL coat.

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerme View Post
      Professional Cryogenics up in Canton. They do great work and will be doing this one again when it is time to do the FINAL coat.
      Hey, thanks for the info !
      MarkK

New update.....finally

I know - it has been way to long since my last update, but this project has been on hold for a whole slew of reasons. Today, however, she made it to her next home away from home, where after a relatively short list of things to do she may be getting ready for color! With any luck I will be able to share some progress reports on a much more frequent basis.

Big thanks to Sparky at RnD Fabrication for helping me make the delivery (that is Sabre in the background - he he)!

Mike, Good choice on the shop. You will definitely be taken care of and the work is excellent and more importantly done right! Cannot say that about other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by CornHusker4Life View Post
      Mike, Good choice on the shop. You will definitely be taken care of and the work is excellent and more importantly done right! Cannot say that about other shops.
      And, pray tell, what shops would that be (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)?!

Was that your Mustang I saw in there on the rotisserie? That is a great looking body style, but how did you get it in before me? :-)

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com