Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      While we were at the beach on vacation, I did some real quick color theme sketches. My 9 year old son and I are set on green of some sort, and I really like the Fathom Green that they put on the '69s. I am also trying to incorporate some sort of orange accent stripe. I'm still not completely set on a direction but here is what I have thought about so far.

First concept is a green with black stripes (probably a single stripe down the hood and trunk lid either just wider than the hood bulge or as wide as the two stripes they put on from the factory. It looks a little "blah" to me:

I just about have myself convinced of a true two tone (say that three times fast). Here is a option that would be green on the sides and silver on the top. I really like this one.

I am still going to look at an option that is black on the top and a bright green (like a Granny Smith apple color) on the sides, but I don't know if I have the guts to pull that off.

More sketches to follow as I put them together. Anybody have any thoughts or comments so far?

Thanks,
      Mike

I like the bright green with a black roof idea myself!
      Joe Hinds

OK, so here are my three current options. My wife, son and I each picked our favorite and as you would expect each option received one vote. A lot of good that did. Anyway, here they are (and any input anyone cares to offer would be appreciated).

Option 1 - Silver over Fathom Green

Option 2 - Fathom Green over Silver

Option 3 - Dark Gray over Apple Green

Joe - I think I have your vote already!

Thanks to Digital Gold Photography who supplied the pic I stole from an internet search to start with.

Where is the Monkey Jungle graphic on the quarters? Oh yeah, that's a surprise... Nevermind!
      Joe Hinds

Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgMusclecars View Post
      Where is the Monkey Jungle graphic on the quarters?
      I thought you were going to steal that to use on "Haulin' Bananas"!

I think option 1 is the best. But Id like to see option 3 done with the darker green on it too...

Just looking at the sketches, ...my gut is Option 1.
      That said, ...when I saw your first shots, ...I was thinking Synergy Green and Cyber Gray (both 5th gen colors) might look good together. When you say Apple Green, and Dark Gray, those colors sort of fit too.
      Your first pics though, ...all Synergy Green, ...with a Cyber Gray strip (outlined in orange) ..........that too I think holds some possibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by boostin05blacksti View Post
      ...Id like to see option 3 done with the darker green on it too...
      Here you go.

Option 4 - Dark Gray over Fathom Green

and

Option 5 - Fathom Green over Dark Gray

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
      Just looking at the sketches, ...my gut is Option 1.
      That said, ...when I saw your first shots, ...I was thinking Synergy Green and Cyber Gray (both 5th gen colors) might look good together. When you say Apple Green, and Dark Gray, those colors sort of fit too.
      Your first pics though, ...all Synergy Green, ...with a Cyber Gray strip (outlined in orange) ..........that too I think holds some possibilities...
      Kevin,

I do like your suggestions, but the Apple Green option above is really my least favorite one . I had seen a new Synergy Green Camaro a couple months back, and even though I liked the color I could not keep from wondering the whole time I was looking at it how long it would take for me to get tired of that vivid a color.

Option #4...Looks nice man. When I was in my teenage years and just dreaming I made a stencil and would make different designs on it. Your bringing me back to the old days. Good stuff.

Out of the options above, I think I like Option 4 - Dark Gray over Fathom Green the best. What about a more orange pin-stripe? Great looking renderings sir!

Here is how YAC is currently sitting:

I love it when cars look naked. You get to see what they're made of. Now Joe and the team can work their magic. Great Progress.

Great build Mike! I had no idea a Camaro could be this cool. ;) Of all the 1st gens I thought if ever there were a Camaro in my family I would have bought a 67. Mostly because it's not a 69 and I like the round turn signals rather than the 68's rectangular units. I really like what dirction you're going.

I'm going to be a party pooper, this is my only opinion here so take it for what it's worth. And keep in mind I understand opinions are like arm pits, everyone has 'em and most stink, lol! I base my thoughts on my quirkie design-ness and the fact that paint on a car "talks" to me as much as the design lines of the car itself. ...OK, you can call me weird when I get there.

I don't like the dark gray and green scheme much at all. Charcoal gray and green typically have a different hue eminence or luminance or insert another term here that fits better. Dark gray is somewhat muted, it's heavy (as in visual weight), it's low key, dark and mysterious, and it's a color that speaks subtle bad-bootie.

Green is in a whole 'nother category, sort of lively and happy, yet the right tone can be considered aggressive too. Fathom green is an interesting shade, it's kind of muted itself and for accent, needs something that will contrast it a lot to punch the whole design out. Car companies spend a great deal of money studying and pondering color theory. Notice that with fathom green, tremendously contrasting white was used as an accent color.

I think if you put dark gray and fathom green together it will come out too muted, not have enough contrast, look too heavy, will feel like they don't quite match each other and lack some punch. You're saving grace would be the bright orange accent but I still have my reserves about this specific combo.

Look at your art (nice work BTW) and compare the silver and green's pop! to the gray and green's lack of it. I'm working on a project rendering for Chris with his "Delilah" Cutlass and originally we were going to do a charcoal gray w/ bright green stripes. The only reason it was going to work was because it was such a strong contrast. And although it wouldn't be a "comfortable" car to look at, (you know the kind that you look at and say, "Wow, that's just beautiful") that was his whole plan, to have the car have an "in your face" attitude which fits great with his big mean bulldog looking car. After several color scheme options we've finally decided that the green and gray option could easily go out of style quickly and maybe wasn't quite the attitude he wanted so we settled on two shades of metallic gray.

In contrast to a 72 Cutlass, a 67 Camaro is a very elegant looking car, perhaps more so than the 68 and 69 Camaros which got progressively aggressive looking. Your car is sleek, smooth, and looks nimble, not mean and nasty. To compliment the design lines, a light (as in weight), sleek, and nimble paint combination would fit better. To me the silver and green combo says just that. It keeps the car bright and happy, makes it feel light, and says "I'm quick". Particularity I like green on top. There's more silver real estate in that case which helps give it that light feel. The heavy green on top brings it back to the ground and helps it stay there. That combo just speaks speed to me.

If your heart is on the dark gray and green, keep the gray on top, and use a brighter more exciting green than fathom. You need a lot of contrast to make it work.

Hope you don't mind my long explanation of my preference, I look at car design through psychology and for what the paint is saying to me rather than just picking colors, so you get a mouthful when I share my opinion. Either way I'm eager to meet you and see the progress on the YAC come together in person.

BTW, I like the way the first concept looked too, with all fathom green and the black and orange stripe too. I did something similar to that on Eric's Matador in my art thread. That's a combo that will always win. https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ge4&highlight=
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Thanks for the compliments, Ben. My favorite is the 67 as well for some of same reasons, plus I like the vent windows on that body style.

I came to basically the same conclusions that you did about the above color combinations (and I do appreciate your input). My favorite was the green on top of the silver as well, but Joe was concerned that color combination would looked dated after a while so we nixed it and (all the other schemes above). In fact, we have abandonded the two tone idea for now as a solid with a stripe never can go out of style. What direction we are heading in I would rather not say yet as I have not seen an actual sample of the color in person yet, and I might not want to let it out until it is actually on the car. :-) I think we are keeping the orange stripe down the side, though, but we do plan to keep it a reasonable size. I am excited about it and think it could be VERY different and VERY cool (if it actually looks good)! It really can't happen quickly enough! I know - "patience".

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      In contrast to a 72 Cutlass, a 67 Camaro is a very elegant looking car
      whoa whoa whoa there partner.......them's fighting words! And it's a 71, thank you very much! ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by gardnerme View Post
      What direction we are heading in I would rather not say yet as I have not seen an actual sample of the color in person yet
      yes you have; it's on my T56 (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyRnD View Post
      yes you have; it's on my T56 (lol)
      And my eyes are still burning.

I completely agree that the 2-tone is already a dated paint scheme and a solid color never goes out of style. I think you can get a great result with a solid color, and a modern twist on the single black stripe idea, like applying a texture to it, a carbon fiber weave look, shading/shadows, and other eye-candy tricks. Incorporating the orange into a stripe on the wheel is another way to tie everything together. Just don't go overboard with the graphics or you'll end up with an eye sore like this...

- David
      1967 Camaro - In remembrance of my friend Scott

Quote Originally Posted by MyFriendScott View Post
      I completely agree that the 2-tone is already a dated paint scheme and a solid color never goes out of style. I think you can get a great result with a solid color, and a modern twist on the single black stripe idea, like applying a texture to it, a carbon fiber weave look, shading/shadows, and other eye-candy tricks. Incorporating the orange into a stripe on the wheel is another way to tie everything together. Just don't go overboard with the graphics or you'll end up with an eye sore like this...

That is so wrong on so many levels. His poor "future" neighbors.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com