Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      The 442 hoods are sexy. I am going away from the norm and using the origional 68 Camaro SS hood and not the 69 SS cowl hood. I like them and it is different, plus it is one less aftermarket part I have to fit to the car, origional stuff lines up so much easier. The body is in great shape (now) and I have new doors, fenders, floorpans. Basically a giant jizsaw puzzle of parts to piece together and make work. Some fabrication is still needed to fit the floorpans, custom dash/gauge mounts, trans crossmember, possibly subframe mods to fit the engine, and of course now I am wishing I installed mini tubs so that may be coming down in the future.
      Taking the body off the frame really isn't hard even on a full framed car (depending on the shape of the bolts holding them on and how much rot there is, not to mention how many friends you have over... But definitely worth it to get the body mounting locations fixed to prevent HUGE problems in the future. How much were your seats? I have NO idea what I am doing for them. Probably end up cruising the boneyards till I find something that is comfortable, looks good (musclecar like), and the brackets are at least close to the right height, then fitting them and getting uphulstered to match the rear. There are some nice OE seats out there that just need a little love.
      I am planning on the Rushforth Superspoke wheels and possibly the Baer T4 brakes.... But we will see, lot of $$$ Those may need to wait a few years down the road. Coud be some TTII's and C6 brakes till then.
      Let me know if your hiring! lol... I've been tellin my wife I want to get out and open a speed shop. Not sure she is takin me seriously... YET

I like the 442 hood, a protouring 71 cutlass isnt normal I beileve there is one, then theres project sabre, I havent seen any others. 68 camaro's are nice I like all the hoods that come on them the body lines are real muscular. Detroit speed makes minitubs for the 68 camaro- The seats I am going with are the Corbeau LG1 they are about 700 for a set, depends on the material you get them in they are good seats so I have heard and comfortable. The gauges I am going with run off of GPS They are by speedhut- I like rushforth wheels as well they are a little bit steep at 3K for all four rims depending on the width you select. There is also Formula 43 and New Gen- Vintage wheel works, Most of them are a little cheaper but not by much. I plan on 18x11 in the back with a Fab9 or M9 rear end and posi. I'm looking at going with formula 43 just because I like them. I wish that I knew how and had the ability to do my own bodywork I got quoted for 5000 to take my body off the frame and get everything square. 1200 to do the frame, I cant find anyone that dose boxing or that can put the HPI chassis brace in. I found that on ebay you can get a full set of wilwood brakes 12x19 for about 16, I kind of want 13 and 14 but the size of the brake dosnt matter much to the stopping power. As far as back seats I might not have any but I am not sure I have to many ideas in my head lol. I am planning on getting the name copy righted for my buisness when I get back- I just need to check the market and see the best place to live and the car scene and all. My buisness is based on passion If you have a passion for muscle cars, speed and performance, are honest with a good work ethic there's always a place in my shop. Finding people with a passion for cars is hard nowadays- most people real skills or not are just trying to pay the bills. They don't care about the customer or there car they just want to do an average job and make the customer happy enough to pay them. At my shop shotty work wont exist, for instance all rust being replaced with metal instead of fiberglass etc. Oh modern glass innovations makes flush mounted glass-

Quote Originally Posted by BeerB8AmmoGRITS View Post
      The 442 hoods are sexy. I am going away from the norm and using the origional 68 Camaro SS hood and not the 69 SS cowl hood. I like them and it is different, plus it is one less aftermarket part I have to fit to the car, origional stuff lines up so much easier. The body is in great shape (now) and I have new doors, fenders, floorpans. Basically a giant jizsaw puzzle of parts to piece together and make work. Some fabrication is still needed to fit the floorpans, custom dash/gauge mounts, trans crossmember, possibly subframe mods to fit the engine, and of course now I am wishing I installed mini tubs so that may be coming down in the future.
      Taking the body off the frame really isn't hard even on a full framed car (depending on the shape of the bolts holding them on and how much rot there is, not to mention how many friends you have over... But definitely worth it to get the body mounting locations fixed to prevent HUGE problems in the future. How much were your seats? I have NO idea what I am doing for them. Probably end up cruising the boneyards till I find something that is comfortable, looks good (musclecar like), and the brackets are at least close to the right height, then fitting them and getting uphulstered to match the rear. There are some nice OE seats out there that just need a little love.
      I am planning on the Rushforth Superspoke wheels and possibly the Baer T4 brakes.... But we will see, lot of $$$ Those may need to wait a few years down the road. Coud be some TTII's and C6 brakes till then.
      Let me know if your hiring! lol... I've been tellin my wife I want to get out and open a speed shop. Not sure she is takin me seriously... YET

When I had to get a bunch of OEM parts I went to GMpartscenter.net. Prices aren't as low as gmpartsdirect.com but they have a flat $7.99 shipping on any size order. I priced the supercharger and cover with the numbers you listed.

Supercharger- $1759.00 vs $1510 for gmpartsdirect
      Cover - $1060 vs $910 gmpartsdirect

Hope this helps you out even if just for future purchases.
      BJ

66 GTO LY6/4l80e

Build Thread on LS1tech

FatFree,
      Thank you so much for that tip! I am going to check it out as soon as possible. If that is true about the flat shipping then it will definitely be cheaper than GMPartsDirect! They were charging over $300 a piece for the supercharger and cover alone! All said and done it was barely cheaper than runnin to the nearest dealer. I'll post back my findings in the next couple days. Things are gettin busier after the holidays so not as much time.
      Thanks again,

Adam

No problem Adam glad to help. Like I said I used it when I had to order a bunch of parts for my swap. I did a price comparison between the 2 sites and while the prices are similar in the end I liked the fact that I wasn't being "lied" to about how much it would really cost, and a whole lot cheaper then the local dealer as well. It was an easier way to plan out what I needed and budget accordingly.

I tried buying parts through the dealer and even with a friend that worked their trying to get a discount for me they wouldn't match the online prices, or even come close to it for that matter...

Only minor issue with this site was the shipping time, but it really isn't a big deal if you plan accordingly. I've just become used to getting things from rockauto or amazon in 2 or 3 days that it was weird having to wait about 1 1/2 weeks for something to arrive. That would be my only complaint if I had one.

Good luck with your build!!
      BJ
      BJ

66 GTO LY6/4l80e

Build Thread on LS1tech

Quote Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO View Post
      When I had to get a bunch of OEM parts I went to GMpartscenter.net. Prices aren't as low as gmpartsdirect.com but they have a flat $7.99 shipping on any size order. I priced the supercharger and cover with the numbers you listed.

Supercharger- $1759.00 vs $1510 for gmpartsdirect
      Cover - $1060 vs $910 gmpartsdirect

Hope this helps you out even if just for future purchases.
      In my experience GMpartsdirect charges 15% for shipping which makes them roughly the same or even slightly less.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

LSA supercharger on 6.0 Iron block

There are a couple of guys buying crate LSA and swapping to the ZL1 tophat (cover). I bet you can find a good price on a new never used take off. Or you could buy the ZL1 tophat. I'm actually looking at possibly swapping over to the ZL1 myself.

Country Flag: Cambodia
      Im researching a blower motor for my next project and study several websites and their builds. If you go iron 6l there is room to grow later to a forged 408. An LSA blower may not have steam for a 408. Lots of guys do an FI build with power adders at the minimum, only to change them out later when they want more power. You may want to also consider LSA heads over LS3s. They are getting very popular and dont cost too much extra.

An LSA blower on a 5.3 seems interesting and should have enough steam left for 388ci at a later date. There is no right or wrong answer, but room to grow seems a logical approach.

Probably won't work on a 5.3 because the LSA blower intake manifold is made for rectangular port LS3/L92 style heads which are made for 4.00" bore blocks and the 5.3L has cathedral (LS1) style heads.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by BeerB8AmmoGRITS View Post
      I've searched far and wide, both here and LS1tech and havn't been able to get a good answer on this. You can get the lower portion of the LSA (CTS-V) supercharger from GMPartsdirect for about 1500 and the top cover for under 1k. I know there are other miscelaneous parts that would need to be sourced along with the front drive assembly and a heat exchanger fabbed to work but is there any other reasons people aren't doing this? It seems like a pretty cost effective way to get a good power adder for much cheaper than the magnuson kit.

Side note: I'm pretty sure all of the 4th Gen motors have rectangular ports (think LS9s may be a bit different) but I already have the LS3 heads for my LQ9, will those work with the LSA blower or is there anything different? I am having my engine builder install a forged bottom end right now for use with a blower but I want to know if the LSA blower is an option. The engine is going into a 68 camaro and I think looks pretty damn good in the installs I have seen of the complete LSA from a cts-v. Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated! I am currently in afghanistan so my internet is incredibly slow and I don't have too much time to research so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it! My goal is to have the motor and all the parts I need to complete the project waiting in the garage when I re-deploy so I can make up for lost time! I am pretty against naming projects unless they are rediculously bad $%* but I should call this thing project "FINALLY"

Hey guys! I'm going to chim in ....
      Well i have been watching this forum for a bit. I have recently acquired a brand new ZL1 LSA supercharger for dirt cheap (2400) all in for a complete supercharger. Not to bad lol so then i went an purchased a used rebuilt LQ4 6.0l iron block. Then went to the gm dealer and bought brand new L92 heads with solid stainless valves. Ditched the .510 lift spring an bought a set of comp cams duel valve springs with titanium retainers an locks. 7.400 push rods. Gmpp .51 head gaskets.. So thats just a start for me but now im broke lol. I plan on using the ls9 lingenfelter ported snout, 70lb injectors, lid spacer. Lsa accessories, lingenfelter harmonic dampener with 18% overdrive Pulley. Hoping for 600hp thru a 4wd trans in a 6500lb truck... So i have brand new .510 lift springs, 57lb injectors and a zl1 lsa snout all brand new for sale....

Sounds like a fun build, I didn't see your cam specs listed or headers but I think it's fair to assume you'll blow well past the 600hp mark with everything you listed. You doing anything to that bottom end? The lq4s are pretty stout stock and have lower compression but your still probably gonna be pushing it! That supercharger with an overdrive pulley is gonna be making some decent boost and with a heavy truck the stock bottom end might not last too long. I went through the same dalemna with mine and ended up throwing forged rods and pistons at it just to make sure.

Country Flag: Canada
      Hey man thankx. Cams out for custom grind had a vette shop pick my cam! 1 7/8 long tubes with free flowing exhaust no cats no mufflers!!! No need for e test where im from. But im guessing it will be spring befor i have all the toys to finish this build. Then to the dyno for some tuning. Cant wait dude im getting excited. An as for the bottom end i guess will find out what to much boost will or wont do. Sometimes u just get a good one an sometimes the pin was pulled long ago lmao. Foot down hope for the best if not back to the drawing board lol

any updates?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2