Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Crate engine...what company??

I am looking to buy a close to turn key 383 crate for my 84 Monte SS. looking for around 400HP. I have been searching for a while now and have it narrowed down to a few companies that seem like they would be good to work with. I have never been a huge fan of buying things i cant see first, so needless to say making this kind of investment "online" is nerve wracking..

I am a novice so aside form installing the motor and doing some tuning I am not interested in doing much of the build myself. I am leaning toward a company like Ross automotive, Engine Factory or Pro Performance which runs, tunes and dynos the engines once they are complete versus a blueprint engine or the like.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

This would be my recommendation: zz4
      Tom

trailers are for boats and broke stuff.

GMPerformance Parts, yes. Fast burn 385, No

GMPP's zz383 is a badass little engine. It makes your power number easily at 425 horsepower. Just add your favorite vortec style intake, carb, and distributor and you are on your way.

I buy them at gmperformancemotor.com call and talk to Chris.

66 looks and no other responses???

Don't base your decision on price. Do your research on the builder and stay as close to home as possible.
      Todd

X2 on the stay close to home...that is a good call.

I went with blueprint, they advertise an awesome warranty
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

Blueprint makes one of the worst engines ive ever seen. Crooked cams, cranks, decks, and bits of metal in the oil passages.

on the other end of things the Year One engines are hard to beat for the money:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...ain2.asp?cat=P

MASSIVE torque across all RPM's, over 400hp, a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty, and all for $2,999. It will idle bone smooth and run on regular cheap pump gas. They have a version with aluminum E-Tec Edelbrock heads for $500 more too.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

I have a Yearone Crate. I have had it for nearly 2 yrs and I have no complaints! Runs great and pulls awesome! I don't think a $500 addition for Eddy's on top of the $3K, is worth it. The Iron vortecs are pumping out over 425hp. Good Budget engine for under $3k!

One consideration when weighing crate motor vs. s local builder is turn around time. Check the local builders reputation regarding delivery time. Many have tendancy to act more like store and lock operations.

If I go crate the zz383 w/aluminum heads to save weight is currently at the top of my list.

http://www.nyesautomotive.net/Pump_gas_engines.html

Pat is a good guy and has a good reputation..

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
      One consideration when weighing crate motor vs. s local builder is turn around time. Check the local builders reputation regarding delivery time. Many have tendancy to act more like store and lock operations.

If I go crate the zz383 w/aluminum heads to save weight is currently at the top of my list.
      Will cost you quite a bit more money too. GM crates are ridiculousy over priced.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Will cost you quite a bit more money too. GM crates are ridiculousy over priced.

$5400 w/ alum heads. Considering it's not hard to toss $4K at fluffy wheels without tires the zz383 doesn't look too bad.......to me. When I started pricing blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, valves, cams, timing drives, heads, etc. $5K doesn't go too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwood View Post

$5400 w/ alum heads. Considering it's not hard to toss $4K at fluffy wheels without tires the zz383 doesn't look too bad.......to me. When I started pricing blocks, cranks, rods, pistons, valves, cams, timing drives, heads, etc. $5K doesn't go too far.
      Your right, thats why crates are a better deal. But for $5K, you can build an engine that makes more than the 330 horse GM engine.

stay with a GMPP engine.. they are great, last a long time, great power, and its all GM...

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Your right, thats why crates are a better deal. But for $5K, you can build an engine that makes more than the 330 horse GM engine.
      I was looking at building a 450+hp & tq 383 for track day usage.

Here's the zz383 spec, it's relatively impressive for the dollar:

These all-new GM Performance ZZ383 crate engines offer big block performance with a small block price tag. With the GM Performance Parts "Fast Burn Heads" on a 383 c.i.d., this combo offers approximately 9.1:1 compression with 425 hp at 5,400 rpm and 449 ft./lbs. of torque at 4,500 rpm. These blocks have 4-bolt mains with 1-piece rear main seals, forged steel externally balanced crankshafts, 5.7 in. powdered metal connecting rods, hypereutectic flat top pistons with offset pins. Billet steel hydraulic roller camshafts are install with .509 in. intake lift, .528 in. exhaust lift, and duration at .050 in. for intake is 222 and 230 for exhaust with a lobe centerline of 112 degrees. Aluminum full roller self-aligning rocker arms are used with 1.5:1 ratios. Heads are GM Performance Parts "Fast Burn" heads with 62cc combustion chambers, 210cc intake runner volume "Fast Burn" combustion chambers with 2.00 in. lightweight hollow stem intake valves and 1.55 in. sodium filled exhaust valves. LT4 Corvette valve springs and lightweight retainers are used. These heads have "D" shaped exhaust ports and have dual bolt pattern intake manifold and valve cover configurations. Cast iron long leg, standard "V" belt rotation water pumps with 1979-86 power steering pump boss. Additional items that are included with these crate engines are 8 in. harmonic balancers, 12 3/4 in. automatic flexplates, 4 quart oil pans with windage trays, painted valve covers with oil cap, grommets, provisions for PCV and breathers. Composite front timing covers, spark plugs, engine oil dipstick and tube passenger side location. Brass freeze plugs, fuel pump block plates and engine lift taps for an easy install.

I bought a 5.7 for my tahoe 2 years ago from pace. Great people took 2 days from payment till engine was at my door. Neighbour bought a 375hp 350 from them last year. Be put it in an s10 n that thing hauls the mail! When I get around to getting my project started I'm going to buy my motor there.
      Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Is there a specific reason why you want a 383? Have you considered a 377? I've currently have both and the 377 is definitely my favorite one. Btw, where are you located? If you are in anywhere near so cal, there are several builders that can give you something better than a crate engine, for less.
      -Louis
      1967 RS/SS (driver)
      1968 RS/SS (project)

The GMPP Products are great no matter what you go with and you should be fine. The Blueprint engines, not so much. I have heard some unfavorable stuff about those so you may want to steer away thats why they are so much cheaper. The Year One engines are a good product you just need to give them a little time to break in even though they have been dynoed I give them about 1000k befor playing hard.

If your looking to buy an engine, I have a New Year One Crate engine Ct350 400hp I'm just about to post on here. I bought it for 2500 and thats all I'm looking to get for it. I have to many engines and ended up rebuilding the one I got with my project. If your interested PM me and I can figure out shipping, if your close I can drop it off. Year One advertises it for 2999+tax+shipping so you can save a little cash.

Bump!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com