Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Hey everybody!

Hey everybody!

Well my story is I bought this car about 9 years ago assembled except the motor and trans were out. I tore it down and bought new floors, quarters, etc. It sat in body shop jail while I finished college. Basically nothing was done do it in that time. I dragged it home and it's sat in pieces in the back corner of the shed for about 5 years until today. We brought into the shop and starting looking over it again. There's a ton of body work to do, but here's the general idea I have for it.

RMS suspension front and rear and discs all around
      Engine: I have the original 383 which I could build, but could go new Hemi, or maybe small block 340 or stroker
      Keisler 5spd
      Modern buckets seats, maybe new Challenger?
      In my head this car has always been yellow with white and black interior, but I'm considering some darker colors from late model cars. I kinda like the dark gray of my G8.

Anyway, I obviously have a lot of decisions to make yet, but I'm glad to finally be making some progress.

Oh, if you're wondering about the front frame rails they were pretty trashy, but I also have a stripped '73 parts car that somehow has great rails on it that I plan on swapping in.

1970 Plymouth 'cuda
      Nothing special yet
      Originally 383 4 speed
      Current state: totally apart, ready for ground up resto/modification

Welcome. You're really starting at square one. You might also consider a centrifugal supercharged small block for a power plant.
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner

Country Flag: United States
      Kind of strange. I started withd out with an original 383 1970 'Cuda and have done basically all the mods your looking at doing. If you need any advice don't hesitate to contact me.
      I built a 650 hp at the crank 408 based off of a 360. If I had to do it all over again I would have just gone to the local Dodge dealer and ordered up an SRT-8 engine. They go for around 9K and come with a computer so there is no pain making one from a salvaged vehicle work. I'll see if I can't dig up a link.
      I could live with a little less horsepower for the smoothness of a new hemi.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Country Flag: United States
      Mopar Performance 6.1 Hemi crate engine

P5155067

Includes cable operated 80mm throttle body (P5153689),
      Billet fuel rail and regulator kit (P5153783), programmable Engine
      Management System/EMS computer (P5153528), and engine wiring
      harness (P5153530AB).

Conservatively rated at “425 HP”, each engine is synched up, dyno calibrated
      and dyno tested with the same computer and wiring harness it is shipped with.

Want to change the cam later? Supercharge it? Ported heads? Nitrous? Turbo? Stroker? Whatever you want to do, the EMS system allows full adjustability to get the proper tune up for your specific modifications.

Built by Stanton Racing Engines in Lexington, KY for Mopar Performance.

Then there's this guy:
      PN P5155437. It's a bone stock 425HP hemi motor right off the assembly line, has a stock drive by wire throttle body, stock chrome fuel rails, no computer so you get to pick your own. It's a stock 6.1 Hemi with NO FRILLS.

The deal is the price. Suggested retail: $6,250.

Either engine you will need to swap the front sump oil pan to a rear sump truck pan to fit your Alter-K-tion
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Welcome to the board. You have a great project there. Looking forward to seeing your build-up. Go-Fish has the ticket with the 6.1. These engines are fantastic and are very cheap when you look at the amount of money you have to stick into to make a reliable 425 HP from a small block. I'm running a 416 (stroked 340) and wish now I had gone the 6.1 route. I'm converting to fuel injection and the cost associated with it are half of the entire 6.1 engine in whole.
      Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

Welcome. I love Cudas
      Traven

Thanks for the engine tips guys. I had a 2004 Ram Quadcab with a stock Hemi and loved the way that motor ran. I can just imagine dropping 1000 or more pounds and going with the 6.1 over the 5.7 in the 'cuda would just be awesome even in stock form.

No big updates yet, I've got to order some new parts to move on with body work, but hopefully I'll get a good build thread going before too long.
      1970 Plymouth 'cuda
      Nothing special yet
      Originally 383 4 speed

Attempting to re-motivate myself to get back on the project. Summer '09 saw new floor pan/firewall, new wheelhouse, and rocker panel. Have trunk pans to install and need to order a driver's quarter panel.
      1970 Plymouth 'cuda
      Nothing special yet
      Originally 383 4 speed

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com