Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Audio Install in 69 Firebird- Need Advice

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to do an audio install on my 69 Firebird. I've already bought most of the pieces, but i've recently reconsidered putting a single sealed 10" in my trunk in favor of an IB setup in my package tray.

I've got one Image Dynamics IDQ10V3 (dual 4 ohm) and a kenwood x700 5 channel with 500 watts at 2 ohms, 300 at 4 ohms.

My plan is to make a baffle from 3/4 MDF, wrap it in vinyl, and mount it on top of the package tray, sealed off by some CLD , CCF and EBR. I was also planning on sealing off the rear seats with multiple CLD tiles along with some MLV and CCF (most likely from Don at Sound Deadener Showdown, who has been extremely helpful). Is 3/4" overkill for the baffle?

My questions is whether one IDQ10v3 will be enough? If not, and I go with 2, will 300 watts be enough to push two of them in an IB setup (since i'd have a 4-ohm final load and could still use the amp and sub I have now).

I'm also planning to use Morel Maximo 5's for my component set, but am still trying to figure out where to mount them. The car doesn't have AC, so the vents in the kickpanels are an absolute must. There is enough room to mount the 5.25s in front of the vent, but the plastic won't be strong enough to hold it- will a few coats of fiberglass to reinforce it be enough to mount the speakers?

Thank you guys for the help!

I explored doing an IB setup on my Camaro as well. In the end, I decided to just stick with sealed subs. I'm not big into bass music, I just like for my system to reproduce the music as intended, so I am using 2 8" CDT subs. Main reason I decided to stick with sealed boxes was the fact that you can never totally seal off the trunk from the passenger compartment of an old Camaro. You still have the area that goes over the wheel wells into the quarter window area. That is an impossible area to seal off. Also, there are not very many companies building IB subs these days either. They do not require as much power as a sealed setup due to the fact there really isn't any equalized suppression to the sub as is with one in a sealed box.
      I can't answer your front setup because I enclosed my kick panel area. I am running Vintage Air so that area was not needed anymore.

Also, my research into the topic showed I needed a sub in the 15" range. The 10" just won't be enough to handle the trunk space.

Thanks for the reply! are your two 8's sealed in the trunk? What's your box set up like? I like the idea of IB in the parcel tray since it lets me keep all my trunk space and save a little weight. I do agree if i do an IB setup i'd need to go with at least two 10"s, but 12s or 15s really aren't an option on that deck. I'm also not looking for a big boomy system, but a concert-quality sound experience in the car that can overcome the noise of the motor (and I know deadener is also key for that). Plus a previous owner already cut holes for 10" subs in the deck (which of course aren't quite big enough for the IDQs but whatever)

I also do have two Sundown SA-8 v2s that I was planning to put into my 2011 Tundra, but I'm still open to ideas...

I would be concerned with the damping factor of the amplifier in an IB setup, especially if you want good bass extension. Low frequency control is also a concern. You may want to consider putting a high pass filter at 30 hz to tame any sub-harmonics. I don't recall if this sub is designed for IB installations, which you may want to check also.

just make sure the amp has a subsonic filter, you won't need a high pass filter. ib subs will not play down as low. I had 2 kicker free-air 12's and while they sounded ok, they didn't have near the low end of even a ported system. I've since had 2 10 w3 jls and they sounded the best in my 69 camaro. I am currently running a single 12w3 in a ported box and it just doesn't hit like the 10's.

Quote Originally Posted by 455Firebird View Post
      Thanks for the reply! are your two 8's sealed in the trunk? What's your box set up like? I like the idea of IB in the parcel tray since it lets me keep all my trunk space and save a little weight. I do agree if i do an IB setup i'd need to go with at least two 10"s, but 12s or 15s really aren't an option on that deck. I'm also not looking for a big boomy system, but a concert-quality sound experience in the car that can overcome the noise of the motor (and I know deadener is also key for that). Plus a previous owner already cut holes for 10" subs in the deck (which of course aren't quite big enough for the IDQs but whatever)

I also do have two Sundown SA-8 v2s that I was planning to put into my 2011 Tundra, but I'm still open to ideas...
      I still have not installed my system as I am still restoring the car. However, I built 2 boxes that house the 8" sub. They will be attached to the package tray and fire up through the tray. I am relocating my batter and putting it in between the 2 sub boxes, so that was space that I couldn't use for much else. Pay attention to what other's have posted about IB subs. If you do go through with the IB setup, I suspect you will never be satisfied with it. I would just build 2 sealed enclosures for the subs you have. I would build them to the smallest spec for the particular sub you chose to use. I, personally, would use the 10's you have. Those are great subs and better than the 8's you listed.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com