Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      How well will the calipers match up with C5 Corvette front calipers? I'm running an adjustable proportioning valve so I can tune it - just wondering how the bias would be?

Thanks,
      David

Country Flag: United States
      The pics looked like it was a good size, Im running a 18 but dont have a step lip. Im sure it would look fine in there. Are you running the 2 piston or 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      I don't have a side profile photo yet but it's a big caliper. The actual application is for a front caliper. It's just been adapted to work in the rear or high performance applications. I have a 18" step lip wheel so it's plenty. On a fat lip 19-20 it may look a little small.

I think they have a large bore one piston design and a couple two piston designs. I have the smallest but would opt for the middle if I was you. I'm moving to a more agressive pad to get more rear brake. With a regular street pad, it won't achieve lock up with all the rear brake dialed into the car.
      Todd

Its a good size caliper, matches well with most Wilwood Fronts and if you look at cars like mentioned...C5 vette, look at the front caliper compared to back, BIG size diff. but it stops FINE.

This is the best floating rear caliper option we have seen. Its becoming very popular even over the weekend with many kits sold by us in the advertisers section, discussing a lot with customers too about it.

I still think its the ONLY option for cars that will see racing time/Autox ect...

Street driven cars can get away with fixed calipers but will every now and then feel knock back and have to pump the pads back out.
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

Wilwood caliper options.

http://www.wilwood.com/calipers/Cali...ston%20Floater

Factory "metric" front 2.5 piston diameter-same as the TA rear disc calipers were from 79-81.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Thanks for the link Skip Fix. I looked at that before but didn't really notice the differences in pistons. So I have a couple questions. I'm running a C5 front caliper and would think I would want to match the C5 rear caliper piston size as much as possible. The C5 single piston caliper is 45 mm diameter. That's 1.77" and 2.46 square inches. The dual piston calipers available from Wilwood are 1.98 square inches and 4.12 square inches. Whick one would be better for me to run?? It sounds like Todd is suggesting the 4.12" calipers. Also, I will probably be running a Wilwood 7/8" manual MC with no power assist. Todd: thanks for your OM responses.

Matt - which 2-piston caliper(s) are included in the kit that you have in the advertisers section, 1.98 or 4.12

Thanks for your help,
      David

Boy David, I didn't realize the next step was that dramatic. I'd think the proportioning valve would be enough to dial out the brake but I'm not sure.
      Todd

This new kit uses the D154 twin Piston part# 120-12211

I was told by my wilwood rep 1.19" pistons, its the only Wilwood 2 piston floating rear kit i know of? Unless there is something Wilwood left out?
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

So far we are moving a fair amount of these kits, any feedback yet?

Matt
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

First auto-x of the year is sunday, but I have put a few street miles on them. I used to get a little knock back on the street, but have not noticed any with the new setup. Real test will be sunday.

Only issues I had:
      Had to remove coilovers from the lower mount to get the lower caliper bolt on. ('69 Camaro with Airbar)
      Carbotech AX6 pads were too thick to go over the rotor so I ened up using the supplied wilwood pads.

Great service and price from MCB!

Pete

Great pete, sounds like it may have fixed your problem! Let us know how sunday goes. Our auto-x doesn't start until march!

Thanks again for the business
      Matt
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

Matt they still autoX over at the Pleasanton Fairgrounds?
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Yes they do at most shows. I plan on running my 01 Z06 vette in march dep. on weather.

They are SMALL tracks though!
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      www.mcbparts.com

Not sure if the area is smaller but around 1980 we used to have some pretty big courses with long straights when there were alot of Prepared Vettes and the Stagnaro's CP Shelby. I used to work down the street from you at a veterinary clinic.
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Just when you thought they had thought of everything.

I was able to get the Wilwood kit installed late last week. Really nice kit for the rear, especially for a floating caliper. The amazing thing is that this kit is made for the big bearing Ford rear and yet it bolted up to my explorer rear without modifications, like the kit was designed for it. This kit has full parking brake function and uses the 12" rotor with the two piston D154 GM caliper. It matches the fronts perfectly although they do get lost in the deep dish of my rear wheels. Over all I am thrilled with the kit and can't wait to get this thing out on the road and test out the full Wilwood package.

Here are a few pictures of the kit installation.

1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

I read this entire thread with great interest, and Skip Fix's post really got my attention. I have a 1981 Trans Am with Wilwood Forged Dynalite brakes with 12.19 rotors on the front, and stock WS6 disc brakes on the back. I do not plan on keeping the parking brake setup. Will the Wilwood D154s fit/replace the existing stock rear calipers? or will the entire kit be required?

Yes they should fit as they replace the cast iron front "metric" right calipers-they bolt on the brackets. Brake line placement a little different so may need some engineering. Since you can get smaller dual pistons on the Wilwood that might be a better balance with the front Wilwoods than the single piston iron I'm going to use or the single piston Wilwood.

The Metric front rotors and the stock TA rotors are thicker than the .81 in this kit, but they have calipers for 1.04
      1965 GTO project car
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

I know this thread is super old but getting ready to change out my C6 Z06 brakes because of pad knock back. I have a set of Baer 6S calipers for the front and wonder if the wilwood kit would match up size wise to work for the rear and also get me a parking brake since I don't have one now. I know they have 2 different versions of the 2 piston calipers. I'm hoping the larger 4.12 piston area version could work with my 6S front brakes. Wish I would have bought a floater when i built it but don't want to tear it all down after 1k miles and 2 autocross sessions to install a floater. Thanks for any input
      Aarik
      68 Camaro LS2/T56, Jake's Rod Shop C6 Subframe, JRS torque arm. Ridetech TQ Shocks

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by Hugger67RSSS View Post
      I know this thread is super old but getting ready to change out my C6 Z06 brakes because of pad knock back. I have a set of Baer 6S calipers for the front and wonder if the wilwood kit would match up size wise to work for the rear and also get me a parking brake since I don't have one now. I know they have 2 different versions of the 2 piston calipers. I'm hoping the larger 4.12 piston area version could work with my 6S front brakes. Wish I would have bought a floater when i built it but don't want to tear it all down after 1k miles and 2 autocross sessions to install a floater. Thanks for any input
      Aarik, start a new thread and include your rotor size and front piston area. I looked at this little floating rear caliper and it actually matches fairly closely with the fronts I was looking at. Bias ends up at about 73% front which is good for my a-body. Too bad it's so small. I tried to find your Baer piston area but couldn't see it on their website.

Kevin Murray
      72 Skylark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com