Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike Norris View Post
      I got the tune and have a few concerns for sure. I am going to reply in the e-mail and I would really like to see an HP Tuner log of the best dyno run as well as a look at the dyno sheet with air/fuel reading.

One other thing I forgot to mention is about the 4L80E in that it will show about 35-40 HP less at the tires then a 4L65E. Not saying that this thing should not do 450+ at the tires even with a 4L80E, just saying. And on top of that if you have a less efficient converter that will not hold with the lockup commanded on, there could be another 25 or so HP loss at the tires.

What brand converter do you have and what stall??

Mike Norris
      I vote Mike Norris for President!!

please help this man Mike!! I am tired of hearing about this truck...lol. Just kidding Walter hahaha. This thing will decimate all once it is figured out.......my monte is waiting....

It does seem that if something is going to go wrong...it is going to happen to us!!
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

I got the tune and have a few concerns for sure. I am going to reply in the e-mail and I would really like to see an HP Tuner log of the best dyno run as well as a look at the dyno sheet with air/fuel reading.

One other thing I forgot to mention is about the 4L80E in that it will show about 35-40 HP less at the tires then a 4L65E. Not saying that this thing should not do 450+ at the tires even with a 4L80E, just saying. And on top of that if you have a less efficient converter that will not hold with the lockup commanded on, there could be another 25 or so HP loss at the tires.

What brand converter do you have and what stall??

Mike Norris
      Ok, here's the latest....for some reason, when I asked for the Logs and Dyno info, I once again got just the .HPT file. I didn't realize this until I got the flash drive home of course. So far nothing has been right, and never thought I'd have to stay on top of someone so much and watch everything they do. The converter is an ATM 2600-2800 stall, I hate it at the moment, it's way too loose. Maybe the motor isn't putting out any torque, so it acts looser than it should....but either way, my trans temps are 90deg higher than before, just putting around in traffic. I have the tow package with 2 coolers BTW. I'm at the point I might as well just buy EFI Live's FlashScan and do it my damn self. Evidently nobody in MD knows a damn thing about tuning. Guess I may as well be the first. AFR jumps to 10.2-1 when I blip the pedal, the rpm's pick up as I'm trying to slow down, have to put it in Neutral to stop without riding the brakes. Stumbles on cold start, when coming off idle, when idling, on a warm restart......yeah, all of it. Most of the time AFR is 11 to 11.5-1 when accelerating, 14.5 to 15.2-1 when cruising. Engine slams into the rev limiter before it shifts, then when it finally shifts, its sooooo slllloooooowwww. They couldn't enable pin 42 on my ECM to run E-Fans.... just a whole page of things wrong. Oh, and I guess its my fault for not giving them more than 3 times to fix the exhaust leak on the pipes they bent and installed. It still leaks, had to be leaking on the dyno, no ideal how it wasn't fixed. Also, the first day I picked it up because it was "ready", not only was the exhaust leaking but had a dead miss. Why does Maryland suck so much?

Just sounds like a bad situation. I have never heard of an ATM converter, but that does not mean I know it all. I typically only use Precision Industries, Yank and FTI as they are all very efficient and work well. A 26-2800 stall should not feel loose at all and be damn near stock feeling if done right.

The fact that the trans temps are quite a bit higher could be that the converter is not locking or is slipping when locked. I have seen this in cheap converters before. I have seen a lot of folks buy a $4-500 converter because they do not want to spend the typical $700-850 on a real nice piece, and then have serious issues with the budget converter. Could be some of the issue.

A/F sounds okay, but the stumbles sre not fir sure. The hitting the limiter issue could be wrong shift points or the converter is junk. They should be able to tell you that though one way or the other.

EFI Live is a great tool and lots of support, but I use HP Tuners and if you would like me to help you out it would be best to get HPT. Not saying that you have to go through me, just letting you know where I am coming from. Both systems work well.

Hope this helps and let me know.

Mike Norris
      Mike Norris

Just sounds like a bad situation. I have never heard of an ATM converter, but that does not mean I know it all. I typically only use Precision Industries, Yank and FTI as they are all very efficient and work well. A 26-2800 stall should not feel loose at all and be damn near stock feeling if done right.

The fact that the trans temps are quite a bit higher could be that the converter is not locking or is slipping when locked. I have seen this in cheap converters before. I have seen a lot of folks buy a $4-500 converter because they do not want to spend the typical $700-850 on a real nice piece, and then have serious issues with the budget converter. Could be some of the issue.

A/F sounds okay, but the stumbles sre not fir sure. The hitting the limiter issue could be wrong shift points or the converter is junk. They should be able to tell you that though one way or the other.

EFI Live is a great tool and lots of support, but I use HP Tuners and if you would like me to help you out it would be best to get HPT. Not saying that you have to go through me, just letting you know where I am coming from. Both systems work well.

Hope this helps and let me know.

Mike Norris
      I've seen a bad converter dynoed before, and a car that dynoed 575 rwhp with the cheap converter made over 900 rwhp with a good converter; it killed the numbers and performance of the car.

I've tuned with HP Tuners and EFI Live; I prefer the HP Tuners for gas stuff, and EFI Live for diesels.

I highly recommend Mike, he is a great tuner. My two cents.........

Thanks Mike, I've never heard of ATM either, it was spec'd by the 1st speed shop I used here in MD. Even now, I can't find much info on them. I was crazy to rely on the shop, even though they had such a good reputation. Being blinded by that, I was amazed to find out after the fact that lots of folks had issues with them. Moving forward, I picked EFIlive since the people on their forum seemed more mature. I realize that's not a definitive indicator of a product's quality, but I'm concerned about technical assistance in the future. Just do a brief search on EFILive VS HPT on both forums and see what they say about each other. I'm sure either suite would work in the hands of a competent tuner, but I am certainly not one. I've gone through the EFILive tutorials and find them very helpful and the software very intuitive. To be fair, I haven't evaluated HPT yet, perhaps during the week I'll do it. Now that they have a free download/trial period, I suppose I'd better be sure before committing this much time and effort to 1 platform. Just wondering...if you were trying to fix something like this...would you try and repair the tune in it, or start over from stock?

I think EFI Live is a very good tool and both it and HPT will work essentially the same. If I had to do over again I may go EFI Live, but I have no issues at all with HPT. I am with you as far as the HPT board goes, but that can be true about anything and you will always need to decipher between good and bad info.

In the end, pick what you feel comfortable with. I can only really help you with HPT with sending tunes back and forth. I do have EFI Live software and can view logs and tunes, I just can not build a program and send it.

Mike Norris
      Mike Norris

Im seriously not impressed with 12 to 1AFR under boost either, seems little lean, not lot but all it takes is a little to hurt something. If its an LS it has a knock sensor, so add timing till it starts rattling, then just before it rattles under boost start pulling timing per pound of boost. peak cylinder pressure makes peak torque. Heck I have heard LSx engine rattle there head off and make super passes at track, but you wouldnt believe what they would do after we tuned them (no dyno, just butt and 1/8th mile)
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Hey buddy got any updates?

I havent touched the old engine yet...just saying.
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com