Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LS 72 Datsun 240Z Rear Differential/Suspension

Hi Pro-Touring
      I am a few weeks into building my 1972 Datsun 240Z. My current intentions are to do an Ls swap, probably the 6.0 lq4. I am starting in the back and working forward, due to the fact that this car does not have very much space to work with. I have about 64" from fender to fender of clearance. I am looking at a custom 9-inch housing with axles from Strange Engineering. Friends of mine have had nothing but good things to say about Strange and have pointed me in that direction. I am wanting to do a 3-link setup, as this car does not have rear seats and plenty of trunk room. Also, I want a good mix of track performance as well as driveablity. Any tips or advice about going with this setup. This is my first build and any help would be appreciated. I am mainly interested in the 9 inch for its durability.
      Name:  image (8).jpg
Views: 23692
Size:  186.1 KB
      Here is the original rear just for comparison.
      Name:  image (7).jpg
Views: 4329
Size:  217.8 KB
      I had a spare 10-bolt that I used as somewhat of a mockup. I know it isn't nearly as big as the 9-inch but it is a close as i could get. I will most likely have to notch the frame rail to get my desired ride height with the 9-inch. The spare tire well will be removed and a fuel cell used in the trunk to provide clearance for a panhard bar and swaybar.
      Name:  image (6).jpg
Views: 5930
Size:  187.3 KB
      Here is the setup in the rear trunk area. I was thinking I could raise the rear portion of the center console and tie the upper link into that.

why not use a stronger IRS?...

I agree with Hell Phish. You can get a 8.8 inch pumpkin out of a t-bird for cheap! The Ford crowd claimes they are really tuff, Some are even posi's. The half shafts, hubs, and disk brakes could all be converted over cheaper than the strange 9". Just have someone build some beefier A-arms from tubing to adapt the ford stuff to. I would also beef up the A-arm mounting points on the body. They were never engineered to handle that much power! I have a 260Z that I have been contemplating this same thing on. Just something to ponder!!

I think the 8.8" IRS would be the way to go. Depending on power, a Subaru STI LSD diff has been swapped into these cars before. My friend who dealt with Subaru rally team said the diff was reliable to the 550 - 600 hp mark.

I have a 73 datsun, and when the engine goes, I am planning a similar swap. My suspension plans are upgraded arms, diff swap (might be an 8.8" as I have one), LS of some model, tr6060. The Macpherson strut isn't the greatest design overall, but these cars handled great from the factory being as light as they are.

Do you have a weight on the car with it stripped? I heard they were roughly 2350 lbs factory trim.

Hell Phish and Widetrax, thanks for the input. I guess my main concern with this car has to be traction. What worries me the most about IRS would have to be dialing in the anti-squat. Not only is the car light, but the geometrics put the center of balance pretty far forward. With a live axle setup, I could maximize the power of the V8. On the traction note, posi is a must for me. As far as beefing up, I don't think much will be left untouched on this one. Here is the best picture from the side I could get. As you can see, most of this car is in the nose.
      Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 3142
Size:  108.7 KB

Olason, Ill have to keep an eye out for your headway. I almost went with the TR6060, but decided to build a T56 instead. It is an ongoing argument, but i figured with my application the upgraded T56 will work just fine. I have heard a lot of good things about the Subaru rears. Speaking of Subaru, I actually have a WRX crossmember that I tried out just because it was a lot beefier than the factory one. It would take some modifications, but it is close. The front WRX control arms are almost a direct fit. I also found a good deal on a complete 300zx front suspension at a local salvage yard, which I've read are bolt-on fits. It is definitely a lot beefier as well. If you want a few more years out of the Datsun power, I just so happen to have one of these lying around.
      Name:  photo (1).jpg
Views: 3211
Size:  238.5 KB
      As far as weight goes, this thing is definitely light. I've read similar numbers. My buddy and I actually picked the car off of jacks and carried it across the garage as it sits in the picture.

Years ago, my cousin had a 240z that he put an old school small block chevy, and a narrowed nine inch.. He put a posi unit in the rear, and it was one of the funnest drifting cars I ever drove. He had a triangulated four link in the rear, and no matter what he did that car just would not hook up. It was a blast to drive, but the rear always wanted to pass the front. about three years and 10 sets of rear tires, it is long gone now.. Fun while it lasted though.
      "Modest beginnings start with the single blow of a horn man"

1969 Camaro Basket Case
      2002 Camaro Donor for Basket Case
      1998 Camaro SS "SOLD"
      1947 Touring Ford Tutor "SOLD"

Country Flag: Sweden
      Nice to find a fellow Z-car owner here! I would definitely keep the IRS! There are many options to go with. I have used a BMW E34 M5 third member. It has a posi and 3.91 gears. It's good for at least 1000 hp in such a light weight car. Many Z-car owners use the Nissan R200 diff with good results. Good luck with the project!
      Henrik

"Mechanix Menace": An LS7-motivated, chopped, tube framed, and heavily modified 1973 Datsun 240Z

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...73-Datsun-240Z

Nice project. They are nice looking cars.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

This kit has an option for 55.5" track width. 240Z was 53" according to the internet... should be close enough!

http://www.artmorrison.com/multi-link-IRS.php
      Michael Mosley
      1968 Barracuda
      Plano, TX

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...in-Plano-Texas

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com