Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Thanks

It was tough deciding on whether to fab stainless headers or mod flipped manifolds. In the end I decided on manifolds because I thought they would have a slight advantage in terms of transient response due to less internal area. I also thought it may make for a quieter engine due to thicker wall material.

Anyway, I used 2010 Camaro SS manifolds, flipped cut and modded with schedule 40 pipe. The backside of the compressor covers are even with the front of the engine block. Both turbos placement in relation to the engine are identical to each other.

They will look nice once the gates are plumbed in and everything is finish welded and ceramic coated.

WWW.SPEEDINC.COM 1957 Eldorado Brougham.......in progress

What manifolds did you start with?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Wastegates plumbed, manifolds welded. Test fit accessories. Wegner is working on a bigger A/C compressor as I'm running dual air.

I did some metal work on the core support for the new (much wider) Griffin radiator and Vintage Air "Monster" condenser. Would love to get the intercooler mounted but I need the grill to check clearance (still at chrome shop).

Originally I planned to use the Mark VIII fan but at 21.5 inches wide it didn't cover enough of the 26in wide core. I found Spal makes a dual 12 in fan setup which fits the radiator perfectly (and was originally designed for OEM use in the Maserati Quattroporte) so I have that on order.

Country Flag: Australia
      Man, thats a nice installation!
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Jim
      Lookin real nice, did you sell the 70 Chevelle?? Hay if you need any painting done, even though NOS is gone I still do stuff?? I am willing to trade for LS stuff which I'm sure you know where to get!
      Rick

Thanks guys.

Rick, yes I sold the Chevelle to help fund this project.

As for the Cad, I do need the entire car painted. It was done 20yrs ago, the body is rust free and 98% straight but needs to be knocked back down and changed to black :-)

I've been thinking about attempting the prep work myself but we'll see how I feel when I get to that point.

Very interesting build. Subbing in to follow along.

Cool, let me know if you need any help or tips. What about the Vett you still have that or is it gone also??

Quote Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
      Thanks guys.

Rick, yes I sold the Chevelle to help fund this project.

As for the Cad, I do need the entire car painted. It was done 20yrs ago, the body is rust free and 98% straight but needs to be knocked back down and changed to black :-)

I've been thinking about attempting the prep work myself but we'll see how I feel when I get to that point.
      Rick

Quote Originally Posted by BadRS69 View Post
      Cool, let me know if you need any help or tips. What about the Vett you still have that or is it gone also??
      Man it's been a while since we've talked

I sold the Vette, it's been in Saudi Arabia for a couple of years. I then had an F355 and the Chevelle and sold them both to pursue this car.

Fab work looks great and I love the project. How much clearance do you have for valve covers, looks like the manifold will make it tight, but it may just be the angle and LS valve covers are short.
      Stephen

Fantastic job! I have always felt if you dont plan on autocrossing or roadracing it would look best with as small of wheel and a good size sidewall to make it a bit more true to the era as far as looks. Im not a fan of the chuck wagon tires a lot of people are going to now a days.

how did you weld to the the cast manifolds? high nickle tig rod?
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Touring-Truck

DMP Fabrication LLC
      Follow me on Instagram for welding and truck progress! - Americangraffiti

Thanks guys,

srh3trinity- There's certainly not room for a tall valve cover but I've used these on another turbo build and had no clearance issues.

Protour_Pinto- I agree. Minimum wheel size to clear the brakes is 17" but I didn't exactly find front/rear tires in the sizes I wanted. Evod is going to build the wheels similar to Bob Johnsons Buick wagon where part of the wheel actually takes on the look of the tire sidewall. So 18's and 19's will end up actually looking like much smaller wheels.

the dan- No, just regular mild steel filler rod. Pre and post heat with an oxy-acetylene torch. They weld very clean actually, almost like regular steel. We've mig'd them and tig'd them and never had a failure.

Oh look, some bling. I had the chrome shop send me this jigsaw puzzle and I assembled it so I could check for intercooler clearance.

Originally it was anodized and the face polished but I thought why not go with chrome to match the bumper.

Nice piece.
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

It looks alright if that's what your into . Looks nice Jim, who did the chrome work?
      Rick

Thanks, Josh at Custom Metal Finishing is doing every piece of chrome and stainless on the car. http://www.chromeplatingin.com/

Tonight I tacked the intercooler into place. I'm not sure of the exact grill placement but I had it spaced back from the inner nose about 1/2 of an inch and then I positioned it so the mounting tabs were close to vertical.

I don't have the bumpers here but looking at close-up pics of #123 online it appears they set back only about 1/2in from the front sheetmetal.

The Spal dual fans I ordered didn't seem to move enough air when I bench tested them so, the 5th fan I ended up trying is a single 18in fan from an 01 Crown Vic. The fan shroud is on the big side but it fits the radiator core nearly perfect and seems to flow a lot of air.

Now that fits real nice!
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

I worked on the car a bit more the last couple of days. I decided I didn't like my radiator mounting and intercooler placement. The radiator mounting just looked odd to me and the intercooler blocked off most of the radiator airflow.

I made some new brackets to mount the radiator from the backside, then made some mounts to bolt the fan shroud on and also new intercooler brackets. (so both intercooler and radiator get some direct airflow).

Also punched four holes through the core support. Two 3in stubs on top for turbo inlet and two 2.75 stubs down lower for charge side piping.

Man, I love this car!!!!
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com