Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      You have a beautiful project going there. The frame and the car are awesome.

Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Thank you sir.

I removed the spare tire well and replaced it with a simple panel. Lots of room for a large capacity fuel tank now.

WWW.SPEEDINC.COM 1957 Eldorado Brougham.......in progress

Still got the question about the seat foam?

Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

Exwestracer, thanks but I think I may be able to get it working without altering the springs.

Did a few more things on the car, such as testing tire fitment. Looks like it will be fine on the rear, obviously too wide for the front but I threw it on there just to get an idea of height. 275/55/17, 28.91 diameter. Wish I had the rear fender skirt here, I can't remember how the latch worked or if it will interfere with the tire, I think it swung straight down but not sure.

What I do know is that a roadside tire change will be next to impossible as I need to drop the rear-end down to get the tire over the brakes. Going to have to think a bit on that one.

Brakes are just a dual 9in booster and disc brake master/proportioning valve. 3.5-1 pedal ratio. Boxed in the firewall area with 11 gauge steel.

Engine/trans are in place. I need to make motor mounts (and new trans crossmember) as I set the engine back 4.5inches from where RS put it. The engine and trans oil pans are 1.25 below the frame rail. Still a bit over an inch off the ground when the suspension is on the bump stops but I may raise up the front of the engine slightly to gain some clearance but I wanted to keep driveline angles shallow.

Jim,

You are making great progress! There sure is a ton of room under the hood. I am sure that you have considered a couple of small turbos that will give instant boost and move that boat down the road. If there is any way that I can encourage that idea, please let me know. <evil grin>

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks Andrew. I liked reading your post because we are thinking the exact same thing. Once I had the engine in place I couldn't help thinking about how lonely it looked in there with no turbos. I have the entire engine/turbo system mapped out in my head and as of right now it looks like the direction I'm headed. The thing about it that was really holding me back is that twin turbo motors are no longer unique, they are actually rather commonplace. I think I can pull it off though.

I considered a V12 or V16, but anything nice would be way over 6 figures and that's just not realistic. (unless I did a cross-breed which I can't). I also considered quad turbo but there is no functional reason for it so I can't do it. Every sequential setup I've dreamed up has too many compromises to be seamless. Could I really open the hood at a cruise night and explain to people I used 4 turbos just for the sake of being different? No.

When building a car it's easy to go overboard on things and compromise comfort. I'm really putting an effort into making comfort a primary concern because, let's face it, a car approaching 5000lbs is never going to perform like one 1500+++lbs lighter, so mind as well let it do what it naturally does well. (be a big comfy boat)

I have a pair of Precision 6262's, which to most people would be rather responsive on a 400+inch LS, but what I'm really thinking is a pair of Garrett GT28's. They would be a bit small on a 402, which may limit the efficient RPM range but they would be on like a light switch :-) What I discovered while I owned my Chevelle is that my preference for instant response makes for a more enjoyable car, even if it compromises potential at the dragstrip.

I was for a time convinced that I was going to do a naturally aspirated engine because 90% of the time I don't drive ultra aggressive, but the times I do I don't want to be dissapointed, and the part throttle torque of a turbo motor does feel great.

Wow!! 3rd on going the custom route, that frame is a work of art. Can't wait to see how the wheels turn out, couldn't have gone in a better direction.

With all that room in the bay, you can still set yourself apart. longer Equal length turbo manifolds and a quick spool valve for each turbo would be really trick.
      You can't be slick to a can of oil

Country Flag: Australia
      For instant power and a somethinng a little out of the norm what about a crank mounted centrifugal blower?
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Thanks Ash. I've decided on a pair of Tial GT3076R's. Should be super responsive on 400 cubes.

Centrifugal blowers are not my preference. Boost response is fast but still lacks the low/mid range punch of a small set of twins. I don't care for the noise either.

Lincoln MK VIII fan fits just about perfect with a little shroud trimming and some aluminum brackets.

I would have considered buying something new but couldn't confirm that their is any other fan available that would outflow this one (and still fit in the available space).

Quote Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
      Thanks Ash. I've decided on a pair of Tial GT3076R's. Should be super responsive on 400 cubes.

Centrifugal blowers are not my preference. Boost response is fast but still lacks the low/mid range punch of a small set of twins. I don't care for the noise either.
      Hey Jim,

Were the AirWerks turbos too big?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Hey Jim,

Were the AirWerks turbos too big?

Andrew
      Andrew,

Really they were a bit too long for me to put them where I wanted as I planned to use 2 factory air filter housings in front of them.

I did a lot of searching on those turbos for dyno results and what I was finding is that they actually spooled a few hundred rpm slower than the Garrett GT stuff (but made more power up top). Probably because of the extended tip compressor wheel.

They would fit no problem if I didn't have the master/booster where it is. I considered mounting the brake setup outboard and inside the fender but I would be going from direct actuation to a long torsion rod and bell-crank setup and wasn't sure how all that added complexity would effect brake feel.

Quote Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
      Andrew,

Really they were a bit too long for me to put them where I wanted as I planned to use 2 factory air filter housings in front of them.

I did a lot of searching on those turbos for dyno results and what I was finding is that they actually spooled a few hundred rpm slower than the Garrett GT stuff (but made more power up top). Probably because of the extended tip compressor wheel.

They would fit no problem if I didn't have the master/booster where it is. I considered mounting the brake setup outboard and inside the fender but I would be going from direct actuation to a long torsion rod and bell-crank setup and wasn't sure how all that added complexity would effect brake feel.
      Good info. The Tial GT series turbos are very cool. I am assuming that you will be using their v-band inlet stainless turbine housings, right?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Good info. The Tial GT series turbos are very cool. I am assuming that you will be using their v-band inlet stainless turbine housings, right?

Andrew
      Yes sir, stainless v-band turbine .63 a/r.

I decided to change to 4th gen F-body motor mounts and move the engine/trans back 5 inches. That required new motor mount plates off of the frame (will be boxed in on top). Steering shaft had to go through the motor mount plates.

All Borgeson pieces. Vibration reducing joint on the rack and telescopic shaft.

I'm going with a Wegner accessory drive similar to the pic below but with simpler windowed pulleys. I asked them to test fit an AD244 alternator because I will need a ton of amps and I was lucky enough that it fit perfectly with no mods to their brackets.

Tried the power steering pump and have good clearance between it and the rack.

Country Flag: Australia
      I love the steering shaft passing through the motor mount
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Recieved my GT3076R's from Tial today. They look very nice!

Those are very pretty.

What AR on the turbines?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

.63 a/r. I've started ordering the parts to build a 390ci iron motor. (3.825 stroke, 4.03 bore). If the .63 turbine housings choke it too much above 6000rpm I'll switch them out for .82's

(I would like it to spin to 6400 without dropping off hard)

Looking sweet.
      1970 Chevelle SS 496 Pro-Touring
      1969 Camaro Convertible 6.0 TT T-56 6spd
      1965 Chevelle 300 post

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com