Login / Register

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13
      Country Flag: United States
      As usual, excellent stuff John!

HELP!!!
      1973 TA 4 spd #'s match red/white = STOLEN
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...55#post1106255

I got side tracked on this Firebird project by working on my 67 Camaro. What started as a small project of replacing the rear springs and shocks quickly developed into cutting out the whole trunk floor, drop offs, frame rails, torque boxes etc. due to rust. I knew the back of the car would eventually need attention because of rust but once I started cutting out the old springs and found the torque boxes rusted out where the spring pockets bolt in I knew I was in much deeper than I wanted to be but reluctantly ordered new sheet metal.

While working on the Camaro as time between customer projects allowed I had a heart attack which stopped progress on both cars completely. Had an operation to install a couple stents in my heart and the docs said I better take it easy for a month to let the heart muscles heal. So the bad news is both car projects came to a temporary halt but the good news is I'm still alive and someone didn't have to come post about my demise in this thread. I've been expecting a heart attack due to my age and family history so it wasn't a surprise. I have older and younger cousins who've had up to 9 stents and others who had quadruple bypass surgery. No disruption to Lab-14 and no shipping delays. All items (including some new ones) are currently in stock www.lab-14.com

I did get a small project done for the Firebird before the heart attack I can share. I blasted and painted the headlight assembly parts which is kinda boring by itself if they're stock but since I have special headlights and protective screens they're a bit different and even if you saw pics of my car before I took it apart for this project you probably didn't see the light modifications so I'll share them now.

About 10 years ago I decided I wanted to use the front parking light/turn signal openings for brake ducts. So I bought some plastic halogen headlights with built in LED park/turn lights from a hot rod supplier. This was back before all the crazy headlight options we have now. The lights themselves required modifying the headlight mounts and wiring, they're not a simple swap. I also wanted to avoid having to put blue tape over my headlights for road track days as required by some tracks and like the look of screens. So I bought some stainless headlight screens made for off road Jeeps and modified them so I could use them on my bird. Then I cut pieces out of some extra stock grills to use in the park/turn openings so they'd appear kinda factory looking.

The 14 Car Performance Therapy Project. Baers, Rushforths, Yokohamas and more

Glad to hear you're ok!

Wow, John. Scary stuff. I have a friend with similar family history and I know it's always on his mind.

So the tape I see so often is an anti-shatter precaution? I had always wondered why.

I am very happy to here you are doing good and that you are still here with us.
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Glad you're alright!

Thanks guys!

Yes Woody, some venues require the tape on headlights in case a nut, bolt, or whatever hits them. It's probably some old rule from back in the days when most headlights were glass. IIRC I had to put tape on my regular headlights the first time I went to Lime Rock like 15-20 years ago. My halogens with the built in park/turn LEDs are plastic so I don't think I'd have to put the tape on but I like the look of the screens anyway.

Your private messages are full! Love the car and would like to pick your brain more once you clear out your messages. Thanks

Its been 3 years so time for an update John :-]
      HELP!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know the John passed away December 16, 2022 at the age of 64. Way to young for such an awesome guy. He will be missed.... :(
      HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cdoggy81 View Post
      Just wanted to let everyone know the John passed away December 16, 2022 at the age of 64. Way to young for such an awesome guy. He will be missed.... :(
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ige-(NOT-A-TA)

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com