Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Breed

Country Flag: United States
      oh i see lol.... was thinking damn he works fast. i forgot you said earlier that you needed to catch the thread up hahaha lol !!

keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

IF thats the right price on the motor thats a real deal
      70 Mustang fastback 428 sb

Quote Originally Posted by 1970 TT Rustang View Post
      IF thats the right price on the motor thats a real deal
      im gonna gues that was shipping?
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

if you couldn't tell what it was before here's a better picture.

and the other part that goes behind it.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Zachalanche View Post
      if you couldn't tell what it was before here's a better picture.

and the other part that goes behind it.
      Well, that explains the "Half-Breed" name...
      What made you decide to go with that option over say, a modular motor?

Not knocking what you're doing - I'm subbed to this thread cause you're goals are the same as I'll have for my project....just very curious.

By the way, nice work thus far.

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF HAHAHAHAH had to say it... ron s did the same thing with his and hes very pleased with it

why not go with the new Coyote 5.0 Crate engine? Was there a price difference or.....

The LS was the clear winner in the size, weight, and price category. The new 5.0 would have been awesome and the new boss302... even more awesomer (that should be a word). But that engine takes up a huge amount of space. I also considered the supercharged 5.4, but price and weight were too high. The LS is going to help balance the car, and should leave room for some pretty good sized hood vents. I've always thought I was a die hard ford fan, but the LS made a lot of sense in this case.
      Zach

I know you said you liked the size of the LS (and I know the decision has already been made, obviously ) but did you consider the 99/01 DOHC for weight, then add a SC?

Again, just curious. No question the LS is a power maker and by no means a bad option.

Quote Originally Posted by cgc View Post
      I know you said you liked the size of the LS (and I know the decision has already been made, obviously ) but did you consider the 99/01 DOHC for weight, then add a SC?

Again, just curious. No question the LS is a power maker and by no means a bad option.
      not specifically, but the lightest one would be the aluminum 4.6 which is close but would definitely need the supercharger to match the power of the LS I have. Superchargers aren't the lightest.

I also kicked around the idea of an aluminum 351 block based stroker, but ultimately I wanted new technology. there's a lot of ways to skin this cat and luckilly I have the motor mounts for a modualr ford in case I ever decide the LS was a mistake.
      Zach

not specifically, but the lightest one would be the aluminum 4.6 which is close but would definitely need the supercharger to match the power of the LS I have. Superchargers aren't the lightest.
      Yeah, the 99/01 4.6 DOHC are the alum ones if I remember correctly. I just couldn't remember the weight and wasn't sure how close it would be even with the SC.

I also kicked around the idea of an aluminum 351 block based stroker, but ultimately I wanted new technology. there's a lot of ways to skin this cat and luckilly I have the motor mounts for a modualr ford in case I ever decide the LS was a mistake.
      Absolutely more than one way to skin a cat and nothing wrong with going down different avenues to achieve the goals.
      Like I said, I was just curious what moved you in the direction of the LS...nothing more, nothing less.

I've been watching this build like a hawk and am really interested to see the finished product.

Take care.

awesome work you been doing man! like what you are doing... up until the powerplant haha but i definately understand your choice as well as Ron's yall both make good points for it! Ford power is expensive and tends to be heavy! if i could stomach the ribbing i might do it with my 66 since i have a couple good chevy motors laying around but i would rather stuff a 427 windsor into a camero and see what kinda flack i get haha! love the work keep it up and if i come across a cheap dart block I'll pass it on!
      1966 Mustang coupe- future plans include:
      custom 4 link on a 9in with 3.00 posi
      custom front coilover suspension
      351W based stroker
      toploader 4 spd
      ect.
      1965 Mustang coupe- future plans include:
      full resto back original
      02 jeep wrangler-
      lifted 4 in on 35x 12.50s with 18 in rims

The LS was the clear winner in the size, weight, and price category. The new 5.0 would have been awesome and the new boss302... even more awesomer (that should be a word). But that engine takes up a huge amount of space. I also considered the supercharged 5.4, but price and weight were too high. The LS is going to help balance the car, and should leave room for some pretty good sized hood vents. I've always thought I was a die hard ford fan, but the LS made a lot of sense in this case.
      How much wider was the 5.0 to the LSx? I know theres a guy on my 69stang forums whose throwing the 5.0 in his car already.

Either way I understand your decision, afterall your car your choice. Just stings having a chevy in a ford. Escpecially a nice 69 like yours.

It leaves me an out. whenever I get beat or run a slow lap, I can just blame it on the gm parts of the car.
      Zach

the Griggs provided motor mounts put the engine pretty far forward and didn't center the engine in the car or in the motor mount bushings for that matter. overall I'm pretty disapointed in thier support on this one so looks like I'm on my own for motor mounts. Since this won't be 100% track car I think Ill ditch the aluminum bushings too.

Looks Like I can go back about 3 inches further.

Zach

It leaves me an out. whenever I get beat or run a slow lap, I can just blame it on the gm parts of the car.
      haha nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Daves69Coupe View Post
      How much wider was the 5.0 to the LSx? I know theres a guy on my 69stang forums whose throwing the 5.0 in his car already.

Either way I understand your decision, afterall your car your choice. Just stings having a chevy in a ford. Escpecially a nice 69 like yours.
      not sure on the differences in width. I do know the LS is closer to a SBF in dimensions and the coyote 5.0 is way wider than the old sbf's

(Thanks to wesley J for the picture)
      I could make it fit but I see that as more work with not much benefit.

When it comes right down to it most of us will end up with so much aftermarket stuff on our engines it's hard to say its really the brand it started out as. I'm just taking the next step not allowing myself to be bound by vehicle brand. If ford made what I needed at the right price i would buy it in a second. but for now I'll see how this works. Besides, before I tore this car apart people were already asking me if it was a 67 camaro so I better keep it chevy lol.
      Zach

Thought I'd throw up my cage idea while I was posting pics. the real thing may vary, but this is the general idea.
      Zach

good work
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

not sure on the differences in width. I do know the LS is closer to a SBF in dimensions and the coyote 5.0 is way wider than the old sbf's

(Thanks to wesley J for the picture)
      I could make it fit but I see that as more work with not much benefit.

When it comes right down to it most of us will end up with so much aftermarket stuff on our engines it's hard to say its really the brand it started out as. I'm just taking the next step not allowing myself to be bound by vehicle brand. If ford made what I needed at the right price i would buy it in a second. but for now I'll see how this works. Besides, before I tore this car apart people were already asking me if it was a 67 camaro so I better keep it chevy lol.
      I hear ya now. Heres a pic of Vaughn Gittens 69 Stang with a 5.0, the whole front of this car was customized to fit this engine and huge tires.Name:  RTR-X 1.jpg
Views: 2456
Size:  110.6 KB

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com