Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help with gas struts for billet hood hinges

I've got a 1969 Camaro with a set of the original Ring Brothers billet hood hinges. The Gas struts won't keep my hood up. I've had some custom work done under the hood which probably added a few pounds. Anyone know where I can get replacement struts that will work with the R.B. hinges and have more lifting power? I'd also prefer to go with a stainless or polished look, but right now, I'd just be happy to get something that works.

Here are the numbers from the current strut:

LG3-0710-PS1
      225 2506

The strut has sockets at the end for 10mm balls, is 5" fully compressed (center ball), and 7" fully extended.

well when i couldnt find a strut for customers car i would just match them up at autozone.

Country Flag: Canada
      http://www.avmind.com/std_lift_support.asp

might at least help point you in the right direction.
      Warren

Country Flag: Australia
      Those appear to be the lighter struts for aftermarket Fibreglas shoods....Ring Brothers sent me both the light and regular struts for my 71 Formula Firebird as the ydidn't know how heavy the factory glass hoods are...I ended up going with the heavier struts. Give Ring Brothers a call and I'm sure you'll be able to buy the heavier ones for your application.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Quote Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
      Those appear to be the lighter struts for aftermarket Fibreglas shoods....Ring Brothers sent me both the light and regular struts for my 71 Formula Firebird as the ydidn't know how heavy the factory glass hoods are...I ended up going with the heavier struts. Give Ring Brothers a call and I'm sure you'll be able to buy the heavier ones for your application.
      I talked to Tammy at R.B. and she was very helpful. I do have the struts for a steel hood, but I have one of the original designs that use 225 pound struts. They now use 260 pound struts and they are sending me a replacement pair. I should have them next week and I'm hoping this will solve the problem. Thanks for the suggestions!

Below is what I am running on my original Ring Bros hinges. This 80# is for a carbon hood so you will need a higher force. You will also need the fittings seen below that number.

I will look into my notes. I spoke to Lucid and figured out how to convert there number to pounds. Let me look for it.

McMaster Carr

Shock 9416K325 in an 80# version.

You will also need 4 of these fittings 9416K86
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

I can't find my notes. You should be able to figure out what poundage those are using this web site. Then you can get it from McMaster but they will be black.

http://www.gas-spring.biz/part_number.htm
      Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com