Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Will GoodGuys ever let me in?

I wonder if the goodguys association will ever let cars newer then 72 to register for the car shows? My car is a 79 and would really like to autocross at the events.

Hmmm could we start a petition? lol

Brandon Slater

1979 Z28
      1972 Nova
      2015 2500 silverado crew cab duramax

Country Flag: Canada
      Start a Bad Guy's association!!!

Where are you from? The shows in Joliet and Kansas City were both open to ALL american made or powered cars on Sunday only. Charlotte coming up will be thw same way. I have no inside info but expect that there will be more shows that open up the same way next year.

You do know that Goodguys didn't invent autocross right? The Goodguys autocross is a lot of fun and it's great to be out there with other hotrods and musclecars but it holds no candle to the runs I have made with the SCCA. Check with your local SCCA or other autocross clubs in the area. if you are worried about getting laghed at or given a hard time when you get spanked by a stock Honda, don't be. Everyone i have met has been super helpful and in most cases they are glad to have new people in the sport.

Donny

I've been to the GG autox's at Pleasanton Calif., and I've seen newer cars run in that autox, in fact, Mary Pozzi has run her 2002 Camaro at that event. Maybe you can't enter the "show", but you might be able to autox your car in your region.

Pleasonton is a different deal Those shows are already open to all american made or powered cars.

brownz, I did some super detective work and see you are in cincy http://cincyautox.org/ These guys had their last event this past weekend....too bad cuz based on the pictures therer was at least one hot chick in that club.....that's rare. Search around, usually in the spring most regions do a drivers school which is awesome and extremely helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Pleasonton is a different deal Those shows are already open to all american made or powered cars.

brownz, I did some super detective work and see you are in cincy http://cincyautox.org/ These guys had their last event this past weekend....too bad cuz based on the pictures therer was at least one hot chick in that club.....that's rare. Search around, usually in the spring most regions do a drivers school which is awesome and extremely helpful.

Thanks for the info, I posted in the goodguys section that your on the home page of the goodguys website car looks good!

I will be doing th scca events in my area also but would like to do the goodguys events also maybe all the shows will have the open model year days

as for the honda guys ( dont give me crap on this lol ) I will be doing the scca with my 2010 si sedan, its my daily driver so I wont take it to heart when they are faster
      Brandon Slater

1979 Z28
      1972 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by firebirdsteve View Post
      start a bad guy's association!!!
      yes!!!!!!!!

They had the Good Guys show here in Costa Mesa California open to all years and I joined so I could go in my 82 Mustang. Then this year they canceled the show. Del Mar has the age restriction so I can't go there, I can't afford to go to Pleasanton (not sure if I'm allowed anyway). So guess what? I ain't going to any Good Guys shows at all and didn't renew my membership. Screw them and their age restrictions. A 29 year old car is too new? Dumb.

It would lose its appeal if they let all years participate for the full weekend event. Allowing later years in on sundays was a good decision from an economic standpoint. Sundays are kinda flat for gg's events, as most (core members) are returning home that day anyway. if they allow all years, all weekend, they risk losing a big chunk of their existing membership. If they did, i would still maintain membership and go to my hometown gg's event,. But, i would not load the car on a trailer, spend hours on the road, and a small fortune in gas, nor hotel it for the weekend at an out of town gg's event.

but that just me.

Quote Originally Posted by clancj View Post
      It would lose its appeal if they let all years participate for the full weekend event. Allowing later years in on sundays was a good decision from an economic standpoint. Sundays are kinda flat for gg's events, as most (core members) are returning home that day anyway. if they allow all years, all weekend, they risk losing a big chunk of their existing membership. If they did, i would still maintain membership and go to my hometown gg's event,. But, i would not load the car on a trailer, spend hours on the road, and a small fortune in gas, nor hotel it for the weekend at an out of town gg's event.

but that just me.

+1 I agree with you. I go to see the old stuff !

On a different note, I've been to Goodguys for years, but am considering autocrossing at Charlotte this year for the first time. Are the Goodguys track layouts as big as RTTH or PSMC ?
      David

Current rides:
      1970 Firebird FORMULA 400
      1964 Pontiac Tempest
      1986 Mustang LX 5.0 coupe

Its pretty easy just go to the event fill out the form and register it as a 72 and drive in. If you get called on it just tell them it's a custom LOL.
      This is Larry Callahan adding to Rocky's profile.

I'm sorry to say that we have lost Rocky.

RIP....

Quote Originally Posted by FirebirdSteve View Post
      Start a Bad Guy's association!!!
      Best idea yet! 73-88? or 98 (to include some f-bodies)

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
      Its pretty easy just go to the event fill out the form and register it as a 72 and drive in. If you get called on it just tell them it's a custom LOL.
      Too funny....

Good Guys has several of the "All American" events where anything either made or powered by something in the States. We've got two in California. The main problem I see now is too many people want to autocross and it's a two or three run day for most. At Columbus, it took about three hours to go through the lanes. For me, even three runs a day is better than none as some cool stuff gets flogged on.

Forgot to add that the delays with Columbus had to do with the SMOTY cars. The staff budgeted about an hour to get every car through for three runs ... it was more like three. We did get treated to some very nice automotive scenery while us regulars waited it out so all was not lost.

Bret from ridetech told me that in the beginning, practically no one other than the vendors auto crossed and it was a 40+ run day. Wow!

Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Quote Originally Posted by rockytopper View Post
      HAHA yes this crossed my mind

Mary,

I was at the indy show and Friday is was nothing but vendors for the most part now saturday had a much slower turn around.
      Brandon Slater

1979 Z28
      1972 Nova

Hi Brandon, It would have been great to see ya at Goodguy's in Joliet. You could have autocrossed your daily driver if you wanted to see how it stood up to the abuse. The Cormaro is doing well on the wheels and you missed a ride.

Goodguy's isn't everything and there is room at a lot of other events for not to ever have to wonder what to do with your Camaro.

Hope to see you at an event.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey_H View Post
      They had the Good Guys show here in Costa Mesa California open to all years and I joined so I could go in my 82 Mustang. Then this year they canceled the show. Del Mar has the age restriction so I can't go there, I can't afford to go to Pleasanton (not sure if I'm allowed anyway). So guess what? I ain't going to any Good Guys shows at all and didn't renew my membership. Screw them and their age restrictions. A 29 year old car is too new? Dumb.
      You should look into attending the OCCA's Great Labor Day Cruise. It's at the OC fairgrounds and is basically just like the Goodguys show. People can park their cars, put around in an arbitrary single file traffic jam, or autocross. The thing is, it's sitll fairly undiscovered and you can get a ton of autocross runs in.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

they should atleast extend it to 74 as the cutoff with some exxclusions such as maverick(same body style went to 69.5 to 77) camaro/firebird went to 81, dart/duster.. good bodystyle went to 76.
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Quote Originally Posted by brownz View Post
      I wonder if the goodguys association will ever let cars newer then 72 to register for the car shows? My car is a 79 and would really like to autocross at the events.

Hmmm could we start a petition? lol
      Do you have any idea how long I waited to get my 64 and 66 in? Old Dudes my age and young guys with 32 & 37 fiberglass Ford kit cars screamed bloody hell, why did they let those new cars in, it will ruin the show....LOL

Just come down South and go to any Trailer Park and you'll find a bunch of trailer trash Camaros on blocks....LOL You'll probably fine a cheap 70-72 right now, but people are starting to restomod them so prices will be going up. You had better hurry, or just sit and wait for your time to come too....

I know, you you young guns have to have everything right now, it's so unfair....

We've had this discussion in the goodguys section i believe.... I think the best idea would be to open up 2 more model years every 10 years or so...

I miss the mark by 1 year and may never get in to a Goodguys event. I love the pre 73 stuff, but you all mean to tell me that some slightly newer cars, tastefully done, wouldn't appeal to you? I think Goodguys is missing out on alot of "newer" cars that could really make a great addition to the show... The Roadster Shop should build a killer 1973+ car just to shut up every guy with a "pre-72 Pro-Street car completed in 1988 with a teal and purple heartbeat graphic on the side" that complains about higher attendence and god fobid a few "different cars"... as he details his car with the same bottle of carnuba wax and towell as 1990.

Im not suggesting changing up the whole structure, but give a guy a some kind of hope.... LOL

-Sean

"pre-72 Pro-Street car completed in 1988 with a teal and purple heartbeat graphic on the side" that complains about higher attendence and god fobid a few "different cars"... as he details his car with the same bottle of carnuba wax and towell as 1990.

HAHA I wonder the same thing
      Brandon Slater

1979 Z28
      1972 Nova

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com